Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Ken Hyndman Collection

Name:  img074.jpg
Views: 2020
Size:  98.6 KB
    Jody's McLaren after his first lap shunt.
    Last edited by John A; 01-27-2014 at 12:45 AM.

Boyd Jefferies had a son Stephen who was killed in a motorcycle accident in 1981.

Absolutely beautiful shot here of the Tyrrell crew working on their cars. Even though there is a temporary fence to keep the race fans at bay, by todays standards they are still very close, and get to see everything that is going on. And its grass-roots stuff by todays standards. Note the make-shift seat the nearest crew member is using. Just fantastic!

Name:  FH000018.jpg
Views: 1965
Size:  183.2 KB

Love yr words ..... you either have it or you don't ..... hey had the old care taker in at work the other day from Bay Park [days] rabbit... any way he mentioned when

Denny got back from UK etc & running the truck , he [Denny] helped Pete clean up the embankment on the northern side [pis head stand]on the new ride on only to Roll it on the turn down to the front straight ...... Hey we are all human .... but some are just a wee bit better at doing things than others ... other wise it would be a boring life & does not mean you are a better person lol

check out the hammer by his foot , did not think they were a tool to use on F1.... especially a ball pane lol

In his defence, it does look like a Nu-Tool soft hammer...

Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    In his defence, it does look like a Nu-Tool soft hammer...
    Well u could be right , I have been known to be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Sprague View Post
    Love yr words ..... you either have it or you don't ..... hey had the old care taker in at work the other day from Bay Park [days] rabbit... any way he mentioned when

Denny got back from UK etc & running the truck , he [Denny] helped Pete clean up the embankment on the northern side [pis head stand]on the new ride on only to Roll it on the turn down to the front straight ...... Hey we are all human .... but some are just a wee bit better at doing things than others ... other wise it would be a boring life & does not mean you are a better person lol
    Thanks Grant, I appreciate your comments.

Ronnie Peterson rumbles past the McLaren pit in the Lotus.

Name:  FH000022.jpg
Views: 1940
Size:  151.7 KB

World Champion
    Ronnie Peterson waited to the very end of the practice session before going out and doing 3 flying laps.
    Each time he came through the Woodcote Corner just before the pits the tail was way out and he was
    right on the limit. It was great to watch and it got him pole position by .2 sec over Hulme and Revson.
    This photo shows him on the way out to begin his last minute attempt at pole position.
    Friday 13th July 1973.
    (Ken Hyndman)

World Champion
    Jody's car was chassis # M 23 / 3. It was only driven by Jody Scheckter in the 1973 French GP and the 1973 British GP. ( Crashed on lap 2 )
    It never raced again.
    I believe it has been restored but I am not sure where it is today.
    Does anyone know where and how it is at this time ?
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 02-05-2014 at 09:13 AM.

Thanks Ken, great info.

Now for the Lotus camp.

Name:  FH010002.jpg
Views: 1729
Size:  152.1 KB

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Now for the Lotus camp.

Name:  FH010002.jpg
Views: 1729
Size:  152.1 KB
    How times have changed ! I started talking to this mechanic (I think it was Bob Dance) He said they may need more mechanics at Lotus. I wrote to them and a month later I drove up to Hethel and was interviewed by Peter Warr and after lunch he showed me around the Lotus race shop. Ronnie Peterson came by for a fitting into his Formula 2 car.
    Starting pay was forty pounds a week and all travel expenses covered ! The guys told me that Norwich is one of the coldest places in England in the winter and most of the pay would go to heating the flat !
    I was in awe knowing how Peter had been manager to Jim Clark, Graham Hill etc.but was amazed at how ancient most of the buildings and work conditions were. I had it better in Morrinsville !
    Well, I did not get the position but it certainly was an experience I would not forget.
    (Ken Hyndman)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 02-07-2014 at 09:31 AM.

Wow, brilliant description Ken! Many thanks.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Name:  FH010004.jpg
Views: 1593
Size:  166.7 KB
    Practice Day. Silverstone. 1973 British Grand Prix.
    This shows Jo Ramirez, the Tyrrell crew chief, standing on the railing, waiting for Francois Cevert to come through. Cevert's fastest lap that day was 1 min 17.3 seconds as is shown on the pit board by Jo's feet.

Also note Jackie Stewart surrounded by many people.

In contrast Denny Hulme sits alone in his McLaren M 23 as he preferred and if anyone that he did not approve of,interrupted, they would soon find out why his nickname was " The Bear" !

( Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 02-11-2014 at 08:16 AM.

World Champion
    You know, the striking thing to me is the number of people in the pit lane, with no speed limits.