Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Ken Hyndman Collection

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    These poor hapless Ferrari mechanics were hard at it changing the 3 litre Flat 12 engine once again.
    1973 was one of Ferraris worst years in Formula One. It finished fourth in one race only !
    This engine and 6 speed transmission were too underpowered and unreliable.
    As I mentioned earlier, Jackie Ickx, left the team after this race to drive for others until Ferrari could get it's act together.

Note the sophisticated equipment (block and tackle !) and custom fit overalls !
    (compare that to the McLaren mechanics)

(Ken Hyndman )

Same photo as above, only cropped.

Name:  FH000019l.jpg
Views: 1634
Size:  146.3 KB

World Champion
    Same photo as above, only cropped.

Name:  FH000019l.jpg
Views: 1634
Size:  146.3 KB
    1973 British Grand Prix. Silverstone. Becketts Corner. First Lap.
    Jackie Stewart dove under Ronnie Peterson for the lead here in a move that was described as "jaw dropping."in Autosport magazine. It was the last time Stewart would lead a British Grand Prix as at the end of this lap Scheckter would lose it and cause the huge accident that would take out 9 of the cars in this field. Peterson (Lotus 72) is followed by Reutemann (Brabham BT 42) then Hulme, Revson and Scheckter on the far right in their McLaren M23s. Remember there are 4 Kiwis in this field and I think 2 are at the back. (Amon and McRae). So all this action was about to come to a grinding halt while the track was cleared and the race restarted 90 minutes later. Eventually to be won by Peter Revson in his McLaren.
    Even though it was a long day it was exciting and I was with my fellow Trojan work mate, Patrick Head, who would go on to design for Williams. But on this day he was just one of "the lads" having a good time.
    (Ken Hyndman )

This is brilliant Ken, many thanks.

World Champion
    Name:  FH010008.jpg
Views: 1516
Size:  124.3 KB
    This photo shows the cars exiting Becketts Corner on the warm up lap. The red Ferrari is driven by Belgian, Jackie Ickx, in his last race for the team, followed by the white Brabham of Andrea de Adamich that crashed on the first lap and Andrea would sustain leg injuries that would prevent him from ever racing again. (It is said that he is still angry with Jody Scheckter to this day for causing this accident !)
    The green car # 28 is the Ensign Ford driven by Rikki von Opel who was an heir to the Opel car company. It had a neat design which incorporated the rear wing into the bodywork but it was not very successful.
    The next car with just the front wheel coming into the picture is the STP March Ford of Tom Wheatcroft driven by the talented Roger Williamson. It also did not survive the first lap crash here at Silverstone.
    Sadly Roger was to die under tragic circumstances two weeks later during the Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort.

So although it is a pretty simple photo taken to show what it looked like at Silverstone that day, there is a lot going on showing cars and drivers that would sadly not survive for long. I appreciate that I had the opportunity to see them in action, if only for a brief time.

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 02-20-2014 at 04:37 AM.

Wow, just awesome Ken. Thanks heaps for this.

These are great photos and the detailed descriptions which Ken has added really bring the era alive.!!

World Champion
    I love this photo!

Name:  FH000010.jpg
Views: 1383
Size:  103.5 KB
    After the race, Patrick and I walked beside the track to avoid the crowd and it began to rain as you can see by the dark clouds and wet track.The shower cleared and along came this Leyland truck with Denny Hulme, Ronnie Peterson and the winner Peter Revson. There was no one close to us and we called out to Revson, "Jolly well done Peter". He turned from talking to Peterson and waved to us.
    This was the last photo on my film and I'm glad I captured this moment.

I am puzzled by what Revson wrote in his autbiography "Speed with Style" (page 159)that he was " taken around the track on a farm wagon towed by a tractor, with the first four finishers and the press on it."
    This photo seems to disprove that ! (Or else it is the best looking farm tractor and wagon that I have ever seen !)
    (Ken Hyndman )

Ha ha ha ha ha, brilliant description Ken! That is fantastic!

World Champion
    Meeting Roger Williamson.
    When I went to a F2 race at Oulton Park in Sept. 1972 I was approached by 2 boys who asked " Could we have your autograph please, Mr Williamson. " They were disappointed that I was not him, although there was some resemblance at that time.
    At the Race Car Show at Earls Court in London, Jan. 1973, I had the opportunity to meet Roger Williamson and I told him about the
    autograph confusion. We had a good laugh about who had the better looks (we were both built pretty close to the ground !) and who was the better driver !
    I continued to follow his progress into Formula One that year and it was a sad day when the news showed his tragic death in the Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort.

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 02-24-2014 at 11:08 PM.

I'm splitting Ken's collection into three fairly distinct parts; The 1973 British Grand Prix, the 1975 Long Beach Grand Prix, and various New Zealand photos Ken took before heading overseas, and during return visits.

The 1975 Long Beach GP was held for Formula A (Formula 5000) cars, and Ken did well to keep the programme, because the entry list is just amazing! Check out some of the names in the entry list: Tom Pryce, Jody Scheckter, David Hobbs, Graham McRae, George Follmer, Al Unser, Chris Amon, Jackie Oliver, Brian Redman, Mario Andretti, David Hobbs, Vern Schuppan,, Warwick Brown etc. Pretty staggering really.

Ken was there with the Theodore Racing Team, with Tony Brise as driver. Few had heard of Brise, but he proved the star of the show, heading all the super-stars before being forced to stop with a broken driveshaft.

Here is Ken's recollection: "I scanned these photos at work of my weekend at Long Beach where I assisted my friend Graham Donaldson (from Rotorua) on the Theodore Racing Team along with Julian Randles, Sid Taylor and the amazing Teddy Yip and Janet Brise. Tony Brise was an unknown driver before the weekend but was the hero of the day after dropping out while well in the lead with another broken driveshaft (2nd time that weekend). Graham Hill was fun to be around and he was so enthused about Tony".

Name:  2136_001.jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  158.4 KB

Here are the first two pics, which I'll let Ken comment on before I post the next ones.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1394
Size:  166.6 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Interesting that the Shadows were running a Dodge engine. And a few drivers I recognise from the late '60s Can Am results.