Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Hey John , that was quite a unique opportunity you had being able to sit in Hill's car and get the feel of it.
Not many people could say they have done that ! Quite a memory - we are jealous
In that day ,drivers were mostly "down to earth" ( attitude / ego with some exceptions ) and certainly more approachable than today.I recall Chris Amon saying that during the Tasman series on a rest day at Levin he had Jackie Stewart come over and mow Chris's mother's lawn !
Yes it was. As I really dig deep into the memory it was just amazing how it went. To think those 2 F1 cars were sitting in an open showroom with just a small sign saying do not touch. The hotel is the now on the site where the original old Seabrook Fowlds buildings were. The 2 BRM’s arrived on an open truck in the top car park. I was a teenager sales cadet. No one seemed to be in charge and as they had to be wheeled down into the showroom I just hopped into the Hill car as they pushed and then I rolled down through the labyrinth of passageways down to the showroom. 50 years on I have never felt more comfortable and at home as I did in that car. As I climbed out some mentioned I looked the part. I know I did!! I guess someone else did the same with the Stewart car. The Hill car looked a bit shabby and well used. The Stewart car had a tartan seat and as I say had wood blocks about 2 inches to extend to the pedals. I am sure that year he just followed Hill at the GP into 2nd place. At around that time I was also sent to collect the team manager. One Chrighton – Brown or similar double barrel name. A pleasant enough guy who I fired questions at the whole way. He said Chris Amon was far too young to drive an F1 Car.
Don’t ask me about the movie I went to see last week as I've forgotten but this BRM story is all still very clear.