Thread: Vale Ivan Stibbard

Vale Ivan Stibbard

A driving force behind the growth and popularity of the Bathurst 1000 through the 1960's, 1970's, 1980's, and the 1990's has passed away in Ivan Stibbard.
    He passed away on the Gold Coast today after a long battle with illness - he was 76.

RIP Ivan

Just hear the name and Bathurst springs straight to mind.

It is disappointing that after only three days this thread is on the second page.

A fantastic promotor and administrator from mid 70's to mid 90's, both at Bathurst and Amaroo Park.

There was a very good 10 page article on him in Australian Muscle Car magazine issue 43 May / June 2009.
    I highly commend it.

Also if you Google "Ivan Stibbard" there are a lot of sites for him.

Two of his more humble things were:
    - Making sure that the locked in Mt Panorama residents knew what was going on, had free programs and some even ferried out to church on Sunday. He visited all the residents leading up to the races.
    When the V8 taxis took over the residents heard nothing from them, and barrier sizes have increased.
    - He recognised the very important contibutions of the volunteers at the races, both flaggies and all other roles, and always ensured they were adequatly fed and watered for free, and there was a free barB Q at the end of the day.
    When V8 taxis took over they wanted to CHARGE for food and drinks. This threatened stike action, and CAMS had to get involved when the V8 mob wanted to bring in any one to volunteer.

Just two examples of his humbleness.

It is disappointing that there has been only ONE reply to the thread. There must have been plenty, particularly at Amaroo, who had dealings with Ivan.

Perhaps it just reflects how parochial this forum is.

Terry, you have pointed out a great deal relating, and in no way belittling the efforts of Ivan you must remember that the vast majority of posters on this site are from NZ and most (I suspect) would not know of Ivan. While I read the post, I had absolutely no knowledge of him.
    It is exceptionally sad to see people of his ilk pass, 157 people had read the thread, his passing has been noted, I guess most had nothing to add.