Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pukekohe Motor Racing in 1966

World Champion

Pukekohe Motor Racing in 1966

I'm not sure if this has been posted before - forgive me if it has. Great footage.

Pure Gold!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty5 View Post
    Pure Gold!!!!
    Beautiful.......great to see the older part of the track I never got to drive on it , hey & that little fiat so cool Thanks Bry Grant

World Champion
    Cheers Grant, The YouTube description reads: Jazz Musican Mike Walker driving his Fiat Bambina ( Car # 101 Known as "FI FO" ) powered by a Ford Anglia 105 E motor,

Semi-Pro Racer
    Bry that is amazing footage that seems to cover more than one day. eg in one race the Mike Walker fiat was 103 later it was 101 As a follower of small racing Fiats I had heard about that car but never got to see it. Also of interest was a race with two Fiats in it. Over the years a number of them have raced at Pukekohe but I have never heard of two in one race. To see the variety of cars racing in the sixties made it a real classic. Is there any more out there like that.
    Graeme

Yep ike the McLaren Mini Cooper........ fighting with the NZ big boys of the day , I think that was the opening round of Puke ... cheers Bry

Did I see a Citroen DS and an Austin 1800 there????

Great footage - well before my arrival in NZ.

I need to download it and watch it later.

Ray- nothing wrong with your eyes, there -crusaders, goddess and a landcrab.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Sprague View Post
    Yep ike the McLaren Mini Cooper........ fighting with the NZ big boys of the day , I think that was the opening round of Puke ... cheers Bry
    I was looking at one of the McLaren minis down the road from work the other day .looks great. This is the green/white one that was his first one that he raced in NZ???? 1962/3.?.

Cool

I was probably at this meeting too ...... revving up my pushchair!

escothvn....... I think the mini might have been 1963 I was 9 lol & Ernie had the dark 3 entered [mk3]

escothvn....... I think the mini might have been 1963 I was 9 lol & Ernie had the dark 3 entered [mk3]
    Grant,I went with Dad and Iwould have been 12,Rod has owned the car since his uni days early 70s. Peter

Any takers as to who was driving the Jaguar MK2?

gee John not sure , most of the Jags that I remember came from the SI , McBeath, Ray, & Ian Dow ........... Narrow Vision I know coming from the main land ?? But there was Tony Shelly up here Mmmmm not sure who was it ????? [plus Ernie but that was in wills 6 hr]]

I remember that Rod Coppins did a major race in one- could this be it?

That`s right John, Rod and John Ward won the 1966 Wills Six Hour Race in a Jag, but I`m unsure if it was that particular car at that meeting.

World Champion
    Good to see the Morrari in action

Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    That`s right John, Rod and John Ward won the 1966 Wills Six Hour Race in a Jag, but I`m unsure if it was that particular car at that meeting.
    Steve-Its the same colour - not the white one 35-as Rods one that I worked on 4 years ago, we both know who owns it now. Could it be all the same car as here, I must ask next time.
    The hard chasing yellow 105E Jack Nazer possibly? Saw Faheys blue Angia Fastback there also.Was that also Dennis Marwood in the Humber?
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 02-04-2014 at 11:01 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    gee John not sure , most of the Jags that I remember came from the SI , McBeath, Ray, & Ian Dow ........... Narrow Vision I know coming from the main land ?? But there was Tony Shelly up here Mmmmm not sure who was it ????? [plus Ernie but that was in wills 6 hr]]
    I think the footage starts with the 6hr meeting so it's probably Archibald/Shelly in the silver Jag and Ward/Coppins in the white one. Then the December meeting which was the Morrari's debut (and Fahey ran without the breadvan rear), then a later meeting from the same season
    And much as Alistair McBeath might have liked to have been a SIer, he wasn't...

You boys were here on those days [watching the north island racing] so you have left me in the dust....... during those days we use to be mainly at Ruapuna ....... & Levels was coming on ...........was once a year I would get up to Puke , but usually the long distance races........wasn't racing fun ...hey all I could do was read motor man to see what was happening in the far north ...great days guys .