Thread: Photos: 1985 Wellington Street Race Photos

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Name:  207_0915_11b.jpg
Views: 4840
Size:  144.6 KB

September 15th 2007. No idea if this is the original or not.
    Yes the original car, owned by a chap in Nelson who pilots a large fishing trawler, and drags it out at the occasional historic event. Drives it very well too He purchased it many years ago from Ken Smith. It is a "proper" Gp.A car built by Sytner from a BMW Motorsport Gp.A kit.

Quote Originally Posted by stirlingmac View Post
    I would agree with you about Ken Smith having this car. it was also raced by Croz and Lew McKinnon, Graeme Lorimer,Warren McKellar and Richard Gillies and must have been one of the higher mileaged Grp A cars in New Zealand.. I remember being told by Lew it was quite special with a very low chassis number 001.. Greg pedalled a bunch of cars including a quick 1200 coupe and a lease deal of a Tranz Am Ford that he shared with Dick Johnson. My memory is hazy but it sounds plausible he did have a drive of the Beemer as well..
    The very early (001?) chassis numbered car is still owned by some friends of mine, they purchased it for not much in 1989,when it was well past its "use by" date, and is still as last raced. Was an Eggenberger car, and converted at some point to RHD. Basic colour is yellow, ran with a few liveries and sponsors in its day, and still retains alloy roll cage.
    Last edited by conrod; 02-04-2014 at 08:57 PM.