Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Photos: 1985 Wellington Street Race Photos

Don't reckon it is a polo shirt. Looks like Flamecrusher overalls undone to cool off and he has no fireproof underwear on. Reckon he just has overalls on as it was pretty warm, but not as warm as it could have got if something went wrong.
    Single layer suits back then as well for the NZ boys.
    Note all other 'professional' drivers have multi layer suits.

Personally, back then and now never went with out full Nomex underwear/socks and then suit over that with boots. Even Nomex head wear. (not good looking so no one missed out)
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 02-20-2014 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by crunch View Post
    Polo Shirt UNDER overalls???? Must have been an 80's thing. I assume you still do that Carl?
    At the most a cotton tee shirt before Nomex underwear became available Crunch. Never wore anything that could melt. Probably one of the first rally guys to wear crutch straps too.

A bit like Frank Gardner now, in that I would sooner be recognised as the oldest driver rather than as the fastest driver.

The Holden Dealer Team guys work through a pit stop.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 2241
Size:  154.9 KB

The Rover heads into the right hand turn 3. The track had so many obstacles, check out the concrete bollard next to the building. I assume this was a permanent fixture of the Wellington waterfront, to protect the buildings from all the heavy machinery that moved around in this area, rather than something installed just for the race?

Name:  WEB 0008.jpg
Views: 2254
Size:  80.8 KB

The Volvo hassles the Rover through turn 1.

Name:  WEB 0243.jpg
Views: 2274
Size:  123.5 KB

This is the Garry Pederson/Dave McMillen Fiat Abarth. I wonder where this car is now?

Name:  WEB 0040.jpg
Views: 2195
Size:  174.1 KB

Steve, Brian Hessey in Christchurch owned the car for some time. When he went to sell it, no one wanted it, so it was put back on the road. It would be a very fast road car, as it was very quick once it was sorted.

Oh wow, that is cool! Thanks for the info. Yeah it would have been a very fast road car. I wonder if it survived?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    The Rover heads into the right hand turn 3. The track had so many obstacles, check out the concrete bollard next to the building. I assume this was a permanent fixture of the Wellington waterfront, to protect the buildings from all the heavy machinery that moved around in this area, rather than something installed just for the race?

Name:  WEB 0008.jpg
Views: 2254
Size:  80.8 KB
    Correct - just paint added

Journeyman Racer
    I think this shot of Walkinshaw in the Rover was taken during practice notice the big ding on the side. He was t boned in the " hairpin" at the end of the Aotea staight. It was probably repaired for the race? I seem to recall the handling was off as a result.I also remember the magnificent sound that car made!! In fact wasn"t the noise one of the reasons the event didn"t continue ?Another memory I have from that shot is that i clambered on top of a container i think, to take them and losing my footing,nearly falling down onto the track!! Also on the other side of the track was the drink and you could have easily fallen in the harbour standing on the concrete ledge! it was great while it lasted and I loved being there.Allways a great atmosphere for driver and spectator.

Attachment 23506

I was sifting through a couple of folders on my computer recently when I stumbled upon a pile of images sent to me by Martin Smith and Steve Twist for a magazine article I’d written a couple of years ago on the 1985 Wellington Street Race. The images are so fantastic, I wanted to share them here.

The Wellington Street Race was the right event that happened at the right time. New Zealand needed this. With spectator interest continuing a downward spiral from the heady days of the Tasman Series two decades earlier, local motor racing desperately needed a shot in the arm, a high profile international event that was so clearly something special, something glamorous, that would reinvigorate the enthusiasm that had largely drained away following years of simply going through the motions.

The Wellington Street Race was the brainchild of Kerry Powell and Ian Gamble, two ambitious Auckland businessmen working for the Strathmore Group, which had fingers in various investment pies, including race horses and sports marketing.

Powell and Gamble, two self-professed petrolheads, had come up with the idea of holding an international motorsport event on the streets of New Zealand’s largest city, Auckland. They’d put plenty of work into the venture, including a detailed map of the race track, but an endless stream of red-tape killed the project, and they began to look further afield instead.

They decided to focus on New Zealand’s capital city of Wellington, which had several advantages over Auckland, in that it had a very definitive central hub, and hosted less international sporting events than Auckland, therefore providing less competition for the potential spectators dollar. With the Wellington council proving more enthusiastic about the concept, planning began in earnest in 1983, and in July 1984, an announcement was made that New Zealand’s capital city would host an international motor racing event in January 1985. It would be sponsored by Nissan, and a new magazine called Cue.

On early planning, the actual type of category chosen to headline the Wellington Street Race had not yet been decided upon. But its January 1985 date would prove crucial to its success. Had this event happened twelve months earlier, its possible it may not have enjoyed the level of support that it did. But as it happened, the international Group A touring car formula was on a rapid rise. Group A was strong in the UK and in Europe, and as well as there being several domestic touring car championships held under Group A rules, so too the European Touring Car Championship was run under Group A.

Additionally, after years of battling, the Confederation for Australian Motorsport (CAMS) finally gave up on its local and unique Group C touring car regulations, in favour of Group A, which would come into affect from the 1985 season. And New Zealand had also adopted Group A from its 1984/85 touring car championship season, bringing it into line with Australia for the first time.

And so the timing of the first Wellington Street Race was perfect, as not only would it allow Australian teams a chance to test their new machinery against international competition before their own championship sprung into action in February, 1985, but international teams and drivers could be imported by the event organisers, and local teams could buy existing race cars, in order to compete.

While New Zealand had already adopted Group A from late 1984, the number of actual local full-blooded Group A cars was minimal. The BMW 635CSi’s of Neville Crichton and Kent Baigent were the only offerings, against a mixed bag of former Benson & Hedges/ANZ endurance racing Ford Falcon’s and Holden Commodore’s, which had been upgraded, for the most part, to Group A spec. From the time of their arrival, the beautiful BMW’s held the clear upper-hand over the local competition.

The Wellington Street Race would be a 500km endurance event, and the first of two such endurance races held over consecutive weekends, with the second race taking place at Pukekohe. Although the street event was clearly the jewel in the crown, teams would contest both events, and an overall winner would be awarded, as well as winners for each race.

On announcement of the race in mid-1984, so too quickly followed an impressive list of potential super-star drivers, including Jochen Mass, Gerhard Berger, Mario and Michael Andretti, Andy Rouse, Frank Sytner, Peter Brock, Dick Johnson, Denny Hulme, Larry Perkins, Jim Richards, John Goss, Allan Moffat, George Fury, Kevin Bartlett, and even ‘Dukes Of Hazzard’ tv series star, John Schneider! As time marched on, so many of the big names dropped off, one by one, but ultimately the entry list was still impressive, and certainly the most exciting car and driver line-up seen on New Zealand soil for many years.

The field of cars comprised a TWR Rover Vitesse for Tom Walkinshaw and Sydney businessman Ron Dickson. A trio of BMW 635CSi’s were entered, including the Crichton and Baigent cars (with regulars Wayne Wilkinson and Neil Lowe as co-drivers), plus an entry from the UK, driven by Frank Sytner and local driver John Morton. Morton had been racing a Ford Falcon XE in the New Zealand touring car series with Robbie Francevic.

Peter Brock and Larry Perkins were entered in the first Group A Commodore to emerge from the Holden Dealer Team. Dick Johnson had entered one of his recently acquired Zakspeed built Mustang’s, while a second Mustang was entered for Laurie Nelson and Peter Jones. A further three Commodore’s were entered for Lew McKinnon/John Power, Chris and Robert Belbin, and Trevor McLean/Ron Harrop. Although three Group A Falcon’s had been competing on the local New Zealand scene throughout the 1984/85 season, only one of these, the Pinepac car of brothers Bruce and Wayne Anderson, had entered the Wellington event. Bill McFarlane/Wayne Murdoch were entered in a V6 Capri, while an unknown quantity was a Volvo 240T, to be driven by Pierre Dieudonne/Mark Petch.

The field was then bolstered by several smaller class cars, competing for honours in either the 0-1600cc, or 1601-2500cc classes.
    Hi Steve,

Just to correct one important fact in your overview of the first race. I knew that to win the race we had to leave Michele in the car and for once Robbie agreed with me Michele was a lot faster than Robbie, so we figured we would also save at least 20 seconds by having Michele Delcourt stayed in the car which was a very quick splash and dash. It also has to be said that John Morton was painfully slow towards the end of that race, I think he was badly heat effected but what ever, we won fair and square.

We had the wrong diff ratio for Pukekohe and when we finally hit the lead we had the right front tyre delaminate just as Michele was flying past the pits and had to limp all the way around the circuit back to the pits.

We demolished all the Australians competitors in our first race in Australia at Tasmania, and the rest is history, so it was no fluke that we won the first ever Wellington Street race.

Cheers,

Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
    Hi Steve,

Just to correct one important fact in your overview of the first race. I knew that to win the race we had to leave Michele in the car and for once Robbie agreed with me Michele was a lot faster than Robbie, so we figured we would also save at least 20 seconds by having Michele Delcourt stayed in the car which was a very quick splash and dash. It also has to be said that John Morton was painfully slow towards the end of that race, I think he was badly heat effected but what ever, we won fair and square.

We had the wrong diff ratio for Pukekohe and when we finally hit the lead we had the right front tyre delaminate just as Michele was flying past the pits and had to limp all the way around the circuit back to the pits.

We demolished all the Australians competitors in our first race in Australia at Tasmania, and the rest is history, so it was no fluke that we won the first ever Wellington Street race.

Cheers,

Mark.
    Mark, have you ever worked out how much time you would have lost in the pits if I had not come to your aid with a 20 litre container of water when you needed some and then a handful of welding wire to tie the bonnet shut in the later stages of the race?

Great times with everyone sharing resources and skills to make an event happen, sure could use a bit of that attitude around some sectors of NZ Motorsport now

pics from first nissan mobil 500

few more pics from the Nissan 500

Name:  crossing the bridge.jpg
Views: 1546
Size:  49.2 KBName:  Johnson wellington on scooter.jpg
Views: 1589
Size:  35.5 KBName:  pinepac falcon.jpg
Views: 1862
Size:  102.6 KBName:  walkinshaw rover.jpg
Views: 1641
Size:  108.1 KBName:  wellington frogmen.jpg
Views: 1619
Size:  55.5 KBName:  wellington Crichton BMW635.jpg
Views: 1588
Size:  114.9 KB

The Holden Dealer Team guys work through a pit stop.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 2241
Size:  154.9 KB
    Interesting to note that the fuel churns already had Mobil on them, the sponsor change had only been announced the previous week, and in fact the sponsorship didn't officially start until the 1st of February...between the Wellington and Pukekohe rounds!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
    Hi Steve,

Cheers,

Mark.
    Thanks Mark, that is great info!

Some great info here by Mark Petch regarding the Volvo 240T, after I'd asked him on Facebook the history of this car prior to his ownership:

My car was indeed the ex Pierre Dieudonne car, one of the two GTM Factory works team car's that Volvo AB owned,as well as a spare factory Shell the GTM were building into a third car. When Volvo pulled the plug on GTM in favour of running with Eggenburger in 1985 Delcourt's car and the new unfinished chassis and 3 engines went to Rudi Eggenburger, who had just won the 1984 ETCC for BMW, but was not happy with BMW for a number of reason's. mainly because BMW could not see the threat of the Turbo era.

I purchased the car to drive myself, and it was not until Pierre suddenly demanded that he wanted to be paid to come out to NZ that I changed tack's and instead bought Michel out. With all the drama of Pan-Am 'losing the car' at Frankfurt airport for over 2 week's, when it finally arriving on the Saturday in Auckland, and having to then fly it down to Wellington in a Bristol Freighter, I decided that to attempt to race after that marathon effort, would be fool hardy, and so had Robbie on standby, who had also managed to do some laps in the Anderson's Pine Pack car on Saturday morning.

When I met Michele for the first time and saw what a huge man he was, I was jolly clad I didnt have to try to drive were he had the seat and steering wheel positioned, fortunately it was near perfect for Robbie, so that was it really. There was no purpose in me replacing a succesful driving combination at Puke the week after, nor when I decided to take the car to Australia, because as Robbie was already a New Zealand Saloon Car Champion, it was a hell of a a lot easier to get sponsorship for him than myself.

I bought John Bowe into the team for the Enduro's because we needed somebody as fast as Robbie, which I was not, and John was an excellent choice because straight away he was as quick as Robbie, which lead to some bruised ego's which was not easy to manage.

Nice to see a reply from the person who knows for sure the history of the car. One can guess whose delicate ego was bruised

On a different topic, look how small the falcons discs are! Obviously this car is not built to full group A specs, very hard too tell but it appears to be running standard discs and calipers!

ERC,

That is exactly what the Stewards did, and as you say it was virtually impossible to fake the teams own hand written lap scoring, so all these years later people are still debating this issue, which given the fact's is somewhat disappointing.

Cheer's,

Mark.

Cario,

If I knew your real name Cario, I might well need to thank you, and happy to do so.

Cheers,

Mark.