Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Photos: 1985 Wellington Street Race Photos

Quote Originally Posted by crunch View Post
    Shoreboy is right. It didn't meet the requirements of the time. We were told late afternoon that the race would not run, however Robbie Lester did a tremendous job and found the required loop hole. I just love loopholes!!
    Just one of the many "Requirements of the time"

Here is how the Volvo looked prior to the race start. You can see even the windscreen banner is a rush job, as the names are off-centre. But overall a pretty impressive effort to be there at all. When was Francevic drafted in to replace Petch?

Name:  WEB 0024.jpg
Views: 1989
Size:  150.4 KB

Steve Twist photo

This is the Volvo during the race, and after 'prodding' several other cars out of the way. The lifting bonnet caused most of the problems, and Francevic actually slowed down with a few laps to run after having gotten by Morton, just to reduce the lift.

Not sure how true it was, but I heard a story that while Delcourt was at the wheel, officials noted the lifting bonnet and were planning on black flagging him, but Francevic then stepped in and persuaded them to do otherwise?

Name:  22.jpg
Views: 1937
Size:  139.7 KB

Martin Smith photo

Did the Volvo have an alloy rollcage, or was it just painted silver?

Neat shot here of Johnson in the Falcon. Although he was comfortably pulling away from the field in the early laps, Johnson said he was nursing the car, due to its fragile rear and and weak brakes. Yet this cool shot shows the inside rear wheel clearly off the ground as he swings into the hairpin.

Name:  19.jpg
Views: 1822
Size:  131.9 KB

Martin Smith photo

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Neat shot here of Johnson in the Falcon. Although he was comfortably pulling away from the field in the early laps, Johnson said he was nursing the car, due to its fragile rear and and weak brakes. Yet this cool shot shows the inside rear wheel clearly off the ground as he swings into the hairpin.

Name:  19.jpg
Views: 1822
Size:  131.9 KB

Martin Smith photo
    Spool rear axles, the easiest way to get them through hairpin turns was to lift a rear wheel. Commodores were set up the same way

Here is how the Volvo looked prior to the race start. You can see even the windscreen banner is a rush job, as the names are off-centre. But overall a pretty impressive effort to be there at all. When was Francevic drafted in to replace Petch?

Name:  WEB 0024.jpg
Views: 1989
Size:  150.4 KB

Steve Twist photo
    Petch renewed his licence at Baypark 1986 IIRC driving a Fiat road car with 3 stripes on the back. He then piloted the Volvo at Baypark only to come 2nd to I think Graeme Cameron in a BMW or a Commodore, but don't quote me on the last part. He was knackered with a very sore arm/shoulder. Fitness paid a big part in sending this car around any circuit. IIRC the cage was alloy as per specs at the time.

Thanks Dave, great description.

This is the Volvo doing some cooking in the pits. I assume this is quite early in the race, there aren't any dents in the front yet.

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 1602
Size:  167.8 KB

Martin Smith photo

This is a great shot!

Name:  20.jpg
Views: 1600
Size:  166.5 KB

Martin Smith photo

Brilliant Steve Twist shot here of the Crichton/Wilkinson BMW hurtling through turn 1. This shot really shows well the potential hazards this track possessed.

Name:  WEB 0246.jpg
Views: 1553
Size:  71.1 KB

This is cool. Just moments after the start, and the field streams through turn 1, chasing Dick Johnson in the Falcon. Boy, those flaggies standing on the concrete wall sure look exposed!

Name:  WEB 0025.jpg
Views: 1631
Size:  113.1 KB

This is cool. Just moments after the start, and the field streams through turn 1, chasing Dick Johnson in the Falcon. Boy, those flaggies standing on the concrete wall sure look exposed!

Name:  WEB 0025.jpg
Views: 1631
Size:  113.1 KB
    We loved it!! I nearly peed in my grey sweatpants....

We loved it!! I nearly peed in my grey sweatpants....
    In that case, grey is not a good colour to wear Crunch, the pee would definitely be visible.

I assume this photo of Dick Johnson chatting with Bruce Anderson was shot during practice. That said, after the big Ford was struck down with a rear end failure while leading, I think the team might have patched it up so Bruce could run some laps.

Name:  Wellington 2.jpg
Views: 1479
Size:  175.6 KB

Red face

I assume this photo of Dick Johnson chatting with Bruce Anderson was shot during practice. That said, after the big Ford was struck down with a rear end failure while leading, I think the team might have patched it up so Bruce could run some laps.

Name:  Wellington 2.jpg
Views: 1479
Size:  175.6 KB

I hope it was practice...look at those race overalls of Bruces. Looks like a polo shirt to me?

I hope it was practice...look at those race overalls of Bruces. Looks like a polo shirt to me?
    Its okay if it was practice, word is that fires during practice are nowhere near as hot as the ones during a race Amazes me how many people still race without gloves.

Conrad

It looks to me as if he is wearing Flamecrusher overalls (see RH shoulder flash) but as he is waiting around he has unzipped them to cool off and is wearing a polo shirt under them. By the looks of his fingers he is wearing gloves

Quote Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
    It looks to me as if he is wearing Flamecrusher overalls (see RH shoulder flash) but as he is waiting around he has unzipped them to cool off and is wearing a polo shirt under them. By the looks of his fingers he is wearing gloves

Polo Shirt UNDER overalls???? Must have been an 80's thing. I assume you still do that Carl?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
    Possibly might have been a bit easier to cool off, if there was no polo shirt under the overalls? Mind you; Polo shirts were the in thing in early F1 days