Thread: Pukekohe Motor Racing 1966 And 1967

Pukekohe Motor Racing 1966 And 1967

While watching the superb old Pukekohe footage Bry posted up on another thread, I noticed at the end a link to more footage from Puke, but during the 1967 and '68 seasons, though its listed as 1966 and '67 seasons, so maybe its early in each season?

Note though the Custaxie battling the Paul Fahey Mustang and Jack Nazer Lotus Anglia during the final season of the Allcomers, and then from the following season, the site of four Mustangs altogether (Fahey, Rod Coppins, Frank Bryan, Red Dawson) during the first season of Group 5. This is classic stuff!

Steve, I think you`ll find the red Anglia racing with the Fahey Mustang and the Custaxie is John Ward in #121 as its painted the same red with black stripes colour scheme as Rods Zephyr, but Rod must have only just sold the Zephyr Corvette as he is racing the ex Geoghegan Mustang in this footage. The #17 sports car could be John Riley in the Lotus?

Noticed about halfway thru some shots of the Custaxi and Mustang and a red Anglia (#105) I presume that this was Jimmy Richards. Also see some great shots of the McLaren M4A of Jimmy Palmer in the Air NZ colours.

Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    Steve, I think you`ll find the red Anglia racing with the Fahey Mustang and the Custaxie is John Ward in #121 as its painted the same red with black stripes colour scheme as Rods Zephyr, but Rod must have only just sold the Zephyr Corvette as he is racing the ex Geoghegan Mustang in this footage. The #17 sports car could be John Riley in the Lotus?
    Yeah sorry Steve, you are right. I watched it yesterday then posted it up here today and had forgotten some of the details when I posted it up. Rod Coppins shared this car with John Ward in the '67 season so it could even be him.

World Champion

Great stuff ! The Bay park stuff is from Dec 1968.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    Great stuff ! The Bay park stuff is from Dec 1968.
    That'd be right. The stuff on youtube is all the intact 8mm movie I still had - I shot it from 1966 to late 68 I think, on a little clockwork Yashica camera with two lenses (I've still got it somewhere) Couldn't afford much film however, so, it was normally 50 feet per meeting. Having to sit in the shade and flip the film roll over half way through, lead to lots of potential for disaster.....It was starting to deteriorate rather badly, so I got it converted before it was stuffed.

SPman- go to the top of the class for filming, preserving and posting for our enjoyment.

I agree with John, this stuff is absolute gold!

Would be great to see the filming from the inside of the custaxie, as Robbie raced around Puke with the reporter and the camera man sitting on the floor for the last all-comers race at puke.