Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jack Inwood B&W images of 60's motor racing

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bob homewood View Post
    David , Dave Jurie raced a modified 315 before the Anglia is that right ?
    Right again Bob

Quote Originally Posted by pallmall View Post
    Is it a 3hour 2 driver race with Jimmy Palmer at the wheel? Just a guess, as I haven't checked any references.
    I'm pretty sure you've cracked it. Fahey and Palmer ran together for the Wills 3 Hour race in 67. Coppins and John Ward won the race in Coppins' ex-Geoghegan Mustang which was fitted with #53, so I think competitors were given race numbers by the organisers, just for this event, hense Fahey having #52.

Yes Steve that is right ,I have a photo from a magazine here that shows all three cars on the startline,had to scratch my head for a minute because the Fahey car is on the opposite side of the track for pole ,but the memory cells came back,pole was on that side with the first corner being the Elbow,if any one wants a copy of it PM me,you can even read the rego numbers in it.
    Last edited by bob homewood; 06-18-2011 at 09:52 PM.

Brilliant ! That explains the background as well then, it's the loop on the long circuit. Nice work, lads.

OK guys, I think I've solved the issues with the photo sizes, sort of. I had to seek outside help. Basically the images will fit within the confines of the page now, rather than have that annoying scroll-bar. But if they're too large, the size will be shrunk to fit. So I'd still recommend you resize your images to around 750pixels, but if you happen to make them larger than that, they will at least now be fully within the page, without the scroll-bar, as you'll see from the Inwood pics in this thread. Like all forums there will always be the need to control image size, otherwise we'll just run out of space. Although, as Nigel says, you can upload your images using Imageshack or Tinypic, which don't have quite the limitations that forum uploads have.

Looks like its taken not long after the turn in point on the loop ,that appears to be the bank in the background ,I can't remember who did the opening stint in the car that year as it went out after 15 laps with a thrown rod ,if its the race Jim must have started otherwise its practice
    Last edited by bob homewood; 06-19-2011 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    OK guys, I think I've solved the issues with the photo sizes, sort of. I had to seek outside help. Basically the images will fit within the confines of the page now, rather than have that annoying scroll-bar. But if they're too large, the size will be shrunk to fit. So I'd still recommend you resize your images to around 750pixels, but if you happen to make them larger than that, they will at least now be fully within the page, without the scroll-bar, as you'll see from the Inwood pics in this thread. Like all forums there will always be the need to control image size, otherwise we'll just run out of space. Although, as Nigel says, you can upload your images using Imageshack or Tinypic, which don't have quite the limitations that forum uploads have.
    Cheers Steve - I've fine tuned my workflow as well which helps
    Are there limitations as to what you do or don't want to see on this forum picture wise?
    I've got some images I shot in the UK & Europe when I was on my OE in the 70's plus quite a lot of racing here in NZ from the early 80's. These days I confine myself to historic type events as the modern racing doesn't really interest me.
    Brilliant site - hope you do have plenty of storage because I can see it growing & growing
    Cheers
    Nigel

Yeah anything from the UK and Europe is great Nigel, as is anything from the 80s. I personally have a strong interest in 80s Sports Sedans. I've set a cut-off date for the site of around 1990, though thats not set in stone. So its both motorsport history and modern day historic racing. I know there is a strong Kiwi theme, but I think thats mainly just because most members at this early stage are kiwis, but as it grows it'll become more international, both in members and content.

Yeah anything from the UK and Europe is great Nigel, as is anything from the 80s. I personally have a strong interest in 80s Sports Sedans. I've set a cut-off date for the site of around 1990, though thats not set in stone. So its both motorsport history and modern day historic racing. I know there is a strong Kiwi theme, but I think thats mainly just because most members at this early stage are kiwis, but as it grows it'll become more international, both in members and content.
    Are modern "nostalia/Historic" racing events OK as long as they're pre 90's cars?

Would you be ok for me to add a link to your site on my Flickr page?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8021817...7616752358287/

Yeah sorry, I didn't explain that so well Nigel. Modern historic racing is perfect, as well as the motorsport history. But to keep the historic/history theme, I've set a cut-off of around 1990, or, roughly 20 years old. So that means anything that was new/modern racing in 1990, ie, Group A, etc, or any cars competing in historic racing that were built before 1990 are all OK.

So, for example, if we're talking British Touring Cars, then Group A is OK, as it ended around 1990/91, but Super Touring or the modern day cars run in the BTCC (same as the WTCC cars) are really too modern, at least for now. We can probably move the cut-off date as these categories get older. I should really create a 'sticky' with this info I guess.

Dave Jurie photo is from an artical posted in Motorman. My brother did the suspension work on this car and helped construct CAR 54 that flipped at the New Plymouth street race. Think the 1650cc Holby ended up with Jack Nazer.

Dave Jurie Anglia

The is Dave's Anglia "Car 54" after it tripped over another car in New Plymouth
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hey thanks for that photo 45DCOE. Thats really a very neat shot, its incredibly clear! Did the car race again after this?

Hey Steve how do you get the breadvan shots in this thread onto the bread van thread, almost more Anglias than any other cars on this site, race cars to road could be an interesting thing as so many early NZ cars ran plates

Yeah good point Angria, there are quite a few on here. I'll see if I can copy a few of them into that thread, for all the Anglia nuts.

Thanks Steve appreciate it what happened to the yellow submarine?

Hey thanks for that photo 45DCOE. Thats really a very neat shot, its incredibly clear! Did the car race again after this?
    Spoke to my brother about it. He said that the car that tripped Dave up was someone Hogan. Is it Morrie who use to run another Anglia ? He said Dave did not race it again and that the running gear was sold to Brian Harvie.

Semi-Pro Racer
    No doubt Morrie Hogan

Presumably the running gear went into Bryan Harvie's A40?

Didnot know he had an A40. Found this photo of Clyde Collins version however
    Attached Images Attached Images  

did this become the Mcphail car thats in the prince showroom in the yards thread