Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Sprague Family Collection

World Champion
    Katcode 3 make a nifty model
    http://www.katcode3.com.au/product/f...lcon-xa-to-xc/
    Attached Images Attached Images  

World Champion
    I came across this one - Bathurst 1973..Half a Valiant!

Gary & Leo E49 Bathurst

Quote Originally Posted by bry3500 View Post
    I came across this one - Bathurst 1973..Half a Valiant!
    lol ... Hey Bry thanks for finding at least half a car , I do know Gary had one of this car [photo] going through the Dipper & the boot lid sprung open ... but hey this is cool thanks again looks like big brother driving here ....... Grant

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant Sprague View Post
    lol ... Hey Bry thanks for finding at least half a car , I do know Gary had one of this car [photo] going through the Dipper & the boot lid sprung open ... but hey this is cool thanks again looks like big brother driving here ....... Grant
    there seem to be a lot of photos on the autopics web site. Is the photo of the dipper/boot this one? http://autopics.com.au/73749-l-leona...ance-j-ruting/

A beauty ! Certainly pressing on...

Well Bry amazing you found this ....... I had seen a similar photo...this car was prepared in darlinghurst Sydney by ernie & Leo and local Crysler people .... ....not sure what the deal was but the car I think is the south island or was recently sold & back in Aussi will catch up with Leo in a few months will find out more .... or just ask Gary .....this car is the one Gary did the winter series in . late 70,s ..and then belonged to Bob Stewart.. a family friend .....a good southern man

Well Bry amazing you found this ....... I had seen a similar photo...this car was prepared in darlinghurst Sydney by ernie & Leo and local Crysler people .... ....not sure what the deal was but the car I think is the south island or was recently sold & back in Aussi will catch up with Leo in a few months will find out more .... or just ask Gary .....this car is the one Gary did the winter series in . late 70,s ..and then belonged to Bob Stewart.. a family friend .....a good southern man
    Grant, your mention of car being prepared by Chrysler people in Darlinghurst makes me think it may have been at HARDEN & JOHNSTON. They advertised as biggest Chrysler distributor in Australia. There Service Dept was in Darlinghurst Rd near Kings Cross. My father had his Chryslers and Dodges serviced there and to a young fella it seemed enormous.
    Their new car showroom was very big and on the corner of Anzac Pde and South Dowling St. I remember my father buying a new 1957 Chrysler Royal from there, the first car sold in Australia with automatic transmission.
    Sydneysiders may remember these Anzac Pde premises.

See the attached for interest:
    https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,6901726&hl=en

For interest if you move across to the left beyond the bottom of the ad there is an article on the start of some Sydney dealers, which may be on interest.

Thank you Terry , I remember the place was called CITY CRYSLER in Darlinghurst.... I arrived there [ Sydney ] as a teen 100% bullet proof & ended up working there with an other kiwi mate then [bondi here we come ] , this was when the 340 chargers were outlawed ...for Bathurst ...by this time Dad, Leo & Gary had been there done that in the E49 plus I think Leo in the 3 speed E38 a year or two before that , oddly enough I was close to Darlinghurst last week on a family holiday ....... interesting stuff ...... we got the job there mainly because of the connection , so many jobs were available in those days for boys that wanted to work . then for Mr Matich over in the shore . hey Terry a bit off the beaten track but thanks for being involved ....I wonder if this was the same place ??????
    Last edited by Grant Sprague; 07-24-2015 at 08:18 AM. Reason: corrections

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi285 View Post
    I recently found this photo and am hoping that Grant can explain to us all just what is going on here. I believe that the "Sprague' is Gary and not Grant so do tell.

To answer a question talked to Gary this arvo , asked about the man on the roof ...... he had arrived later that weekend & missed this promo thinking the owners of these two nissans had a few ski out lets but was not 100% certain .... Ross & Jimmy Stone looked after these two cars during this race

Just found this photo of Ernie and Ray at play. They are obviously hard at it too.

Just found this photo of Ernie and Ray at play. They are obviously hard at it too.

Great shot, houses close by, any idea where the race was..

Guessing Wigram GP meeting

Check out the skinny left rear wheel on the Zephyr.

I recently found this photo and am hoping that Grant can explain to us all just what is going on here. I believe that the "Sprague' is Gary and not Grant so do tell.

From memory the dude on the roof was a ski junkie that was after a speed record whilst attached to a car
    Ray Williams would be the bloke to ask about this

Journeyman Racer
    Grant . Great photo of the Zephyr and the Jag. Do you have any more like that?

Hi Mate........ there are a few more photos earlier on in the section showing the mk3 ...... I have never seen this before so was good to see..... this shows the alloy panels & plastic windows this would be the race the car went into the hay bales or the same weekend , not sure why there is a narrow wheel l/r not that it would effect things a great deal as 95 % l/turns lsd would still work ok as well ......hope this helps ..... Grant

Name:  Sprague-F-Falcon-B&H-1978.jpg
Views: 1469
Size:  146.2 KB

Gary & Leo........ slowly finding more loll B&H 1978

Gary.... & Leo

Gary like Leo...... was talented & got the best out of any thing they drove .......& still has the fire in their belly .....like many others in those years ....such a cool photo..........

Gary like Leo...... was talented & got the best out of any thing they drove .......& still has the fire in their belly .....like many others in those years ....such a cool photo..........
    Grant !, this one is for you .. Telecom Classic Motorfest 1994 ;; Zephyr

Name:  Telecom Classic Motorfest Sprague Zephyr .. #3 , CCI08092015_0001 (3) (800x562).jpg
Views: 1598
Size:  146.3 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 09-08-2015 at 09:49 AM.