Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Sprague Family Collection

World Champion

Thanks for sharing these , they were great years for sure .. I would have been there , plus a glimps of the Anglia & 3.8 Jag of Dads Gary would race the Anglia & Ernie the Jag , I would be eating mums bacon & egg pie ....& collecting empty fizz bottles in between watching ... as the yrs rolled on it was my turn, I think Ruapuna is such a great track ....

Quote Originally Posted by BMCBOY View Post
    These are awesome! Out of interest, what ever happened to the white XD Falcon in the bottom photo? This was one of only three Falcons that competed in NZ under Group A rules. Even in Australia the Falcon never raced in Group A.

Steve , Peter did a deal with a guy in Cambridge , swapped it for a falcon S and some cash the difference , I forget the mans name but foggy knows more about the history of it than me he might add to this a name like Buckridge springs to mind then I might be wrong , the car raced in some class at Taupo, when I racing my SCANZ car & I recall it then , it seemed to go backwards from there no disrespect to that owner , as I think he put him self in the deep end ......Pump
    kin & team were happy to move on ..and that was about it Steve

In the video - Jim Palmer in the yellow Monaro won the Production Endurance race, Boot open on the Mercury Cyclone which didnt finish.Kennedy in the white Mustang and Baker in the Plymouth

World Champion
    Grant, the mans name was Tim Buxton.........ruined a historic car and turned it into a 'hot rod'....... Dont know where it is now, but the son, Darren took it over. It will lying in a shed somewhere.......a heap of junk. At the Taupo meetings, the engine was lucky to last a couple of laps.......I think I know who the engine builder was but my lips are sealed...

John you would be correct , I do remember Jim bringing the Monaro down from Hamilton it must have been new in those days , oddly enough I only met Jim for the first time at Hampton last year , a really good down to earth funny kiwi bloke still has a car sale yard must look him up next time over there ..

Thanks AMCO ............ that would be correct ......yes you are right .

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    Grant, the mans name was Tim Buxton.........ruined a historic car and turned it into a 'hot rod'....... Dont know where it is now, but the son, Darren took it over. It will lying in a shed somewhere.......a heap of junk. At the Taupo meetings, the engine was lucky to last a couple of laps.......I think I know who the engine builder was but my lips are sealed...
    I remember here is a picture of possibly this car on TRS a side view with it looking like a bit like a Sports Sedan,anyone else remember this ?

http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...ghlight=buxton
    #26-
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 11-24-2016 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    Gerald, you have a good memory. I had completely forgotten it became Tim Buxton's Sports Sedan. I only ever saw it race once as a Sports Sedan. It was painted yellow and had huge box flares. It arrived as a Sports Sedan just as the new breed of American style space-frame cars were being introduced to NZ, so was never in the hunt.

I could be wrong but I think the photo below was following another rebuild.

Name:  15230681_1171735856246376_6398282825443812521_n.jpg
Views: 1628
Size:  89.3 KB

World Champion
    Grant,
    This may be old stuff but I came across this site showing brother Gary at Ruapuna in 1969.
    Cheers,
    Ken.
    http://mcc.museums.org.nz/1969_Ruapuna_in_Feb.htm

Some great B/W photos also at this site from the Marborough Car Club.

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 11-28-2016 at 11:27 PM.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Grant,
    This may be old stuff but I came across this site showing brother Gary at Ruapuna in 1969.
    Cheers,
    Ken.
    http://mcc.museums.org.nz/1969_Ruapuna_in_Feb.htm

(Ken Hyndman )
    Ken, looking at the photos, I wonder whether the clip I posted in post #261 is actually the same meet as the images from that website

This shot was taken many years ago at the Tauranga Historic Museum

Name:  img331 copy.jpg
Views: 1346
Size:  140.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by nigel watts View Post

Thank you Nigel , my first pre 65 car , saw this a couple weeks ago , looks abit 2nd hand now though, we got it going pretty good , between Alby Collier & I we had 4 anglis & two v8,s all became very good cars

Quote Originally Posted by nigel watts View Post

Name:  img441 (3).jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  41.7 KB

For sale in 1992.

Anglia 5

Woooow Milan , do you believe in syncronicities , the day after seeing my old car here & the for sale add , in comes a pre 65 member that now owns this car , & is thinking of selling it , a bit untidy now but worth more than double when I sold it as is the case now with historic racing cars .

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Grant,

(Ken Hyndman )
    I like the one labelled "A close look at the working department of the Morris Cooper ‘S' 1293cc of Murray Cockburn from Oamaru. ".....

Yep,
    You have to eat bacon and egg pie. An Emson tradition which we still do...................

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    In the video - Jim Palmer in the yellow Monaro won the Production Endurance race, Boot open on the Mercury Cyclone which didnt finish.Kennedy in the white Mustang and Baker in the Plymouth
    I was looking for some rally information and came across this photo from the 1971 Heatway Rally.

Name:  img614 (2).jpg
Views: 975
Size:  100.8 KB

Excellent pic Milan, great to see these gems are still out there waiting to be found.