Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Sprague Family Collection

Thanks rt6pack.......much appreciated.....good to get the facts .. I was a teen during those yrs .. but was in the thick of it but never really got into the history of events... Gary showed me a pik of the Charger through the dipper when the chassis flexed & sprang the boot open .. that car [orange or red ] was worked on by the team at city Chrysler [darlinghurst] Sydney ......strange now how history goes by.... fantastic info Thanks mate .... ps was talking to Grant Fitzpatric [Tga ford nut] he meet a chap in Nelson that has one of the RT,s ?? I think he also has a Stanton & F5000

I was going to ask if you went with the boys to Bathurst in 73 but I guess you were too young! That one is sunfire yellow colour, Leo's one in the earlier pic is mustard. Was there another E49 that Gary raced (apart from the Bathurst one) that was red/orange if so I'm wondering if the chap in Nelson has that one. It would be Russell Greer in Nelson, I've never seen the car but I know it has a big tank fitted and there was a story about Ernie dealing an E38 which pumpkin took the big tank out of for the car Gary was racing. I might be completely wrong but I wonder if that is the same car

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Was the Alfa P3 photo taken at the Mairehau track?
    A note from the Graham Vercoe book "Alfa C5006 was sold to Ernie Sprague, who debuted the car at Mairehau in 1957. He didn't like it and had the 4CLT-48 Maserati before the end of the year.

Thank Guys ..... rt .. I was just talking to Gary [he phoned from Perth] I should have asked re the colour... & yes Russell Greer would be the man in Nelson & is an electrical man .... Kwaussie no disrespect to Vercoe but a lot of hit & misses in his books might be correct ?

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Sprague View Post
    Thank Guys ..... rt .. I was just talking to Gary [he phoned from Perth] I should have asked re the colour... & yes Russell Greer would be the man in Nelson & is an electrical man .... Kwaussie no disrespect to Vercoe but a lot of hit & misses in his books might be correct ?
    Russell Greer's electrical business is in Blenheim. As much a part of Nelson, as Tauranga is part of Auckland. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Brilliant image here, which I assume is a publicity shot, either taken for a magazine article or advertising of some kind. Perhaps Todd Motors?

Anyway, thats Ernie on the left, and Leo Leonard on the right. Pictured are two pretty significant Charger race cars. The car in the foreground of Leo's massively successful E49, which dominated the 1972/73 Castrol GTX series. The white car is the 770 which Leo and Ernie shared in the Bensen & Hedges 500 race. I'm pretty certain this is the car they drove in the 1972 race, which finished second to team mates Jim Richards/Rod Coppins after a late pit stop for tyres and brake pads cost them time. If I'm right, and this is the 1972 770, then this is the car that later became the wild Graeme Addis Sports Sedan with the motor in the back.

Attachment 24305
    I've only just noticed the E49 is wearing a non-standard front wheel. Looks like it was probably plucked off the 770 just for this photo.

Semi-Pro Racer
    OK, this is Ernie with his 1934/35 Alfa P3. He owned this car in the late 1950s, possibly just prior to buying the Maserati in 1957?

Attachment 24297

Ron Rutherford at Mairehau in 1953.
    Last edited by Bryan; 03-25-2014 at 03:37 AM.

Ron Rutherford at Mairehau in 1953.
    :confused

Is Ron in the white coat Bryan ? actually looks a bit like him ..... but from left to right is Len Sheed was a house painter in timaru, I went to London with his son , then Gerald Mc Kisick one of the founders of SCCC Then Dad behind the wheel & Larry Voice , he was my Mums younger Brother .......

Semi-Pro Racer
    Hi Grant,

The lower photo is of Ron Rutherford after winning the 1953 Mairehau 150 (from here). I was trying to see if the photo of your Dad's Alfa was also taken at Mairehau (was it Ron's old car?). - the trees in the background look the same, and the cockpit surround looks the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Sprague View Post
    Is Ron in the white coat Bryan ? actually looks a bit like him ..... but from left to right is Len Sheed was a house painter in timaru, I went to London with his son , then Gerald Mc Kisick one of the founders of SCCC Then Dad behind the wheel & Larry Voice , he was my Mums younger Brother .......
    A right pack of scoundrel’s and ragbag’s if ever I saw some. Until the day he died I don't think I ever ceased being Gerald McKissock's apprentice

Hi Grant,

The lower photo is of Ron Rutherford after winning the 1953 Mairehau 150 (from here). I was trying to see if the photo of your Dad's Alfa was also taken at Mairehau (was it Ron's old car?). - the trees in the background look the same, and the cockpit surround looks the same.
    Hi Bryan ..mate I am not sure to be honest .

Hi Grant,

Not Ron Rutherford in the lower photo. That's Ron Roycroft.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    Not Ron Rutherford in the lower photo. That's Ron Roycroft.
    Oops! Brain fade (again!)

Some production racing, with muscle cars to the fore! This is Ernie in his Phase II GTHO, at Timaru. I'm pretty sure thats Brian Crosbie giving chase in the '69 Firebird. Any clues on the Monaro? Rego looks like DI 5133, which could make it Jim Richards?

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 2699
Size:  165.5 KB

Some production racing, with muscle cars to the fore! This is Ernie in his Phase II GTHO, at Timaru. I'm pretty sure thats Brian Crosbie giving chase in the '69 Firebird. Any clues on the Monaro? Rego looks like DI 5133, which could make it Jim Richards?

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 2699
Size:  165.5 KB
    Steve I am certain it is Jim.... Think he came 2nd or 3rd to Ralf Emson .. you might have a pik there of them standing on rostrum [levels]

Thanks for that Grant, I've gone through some old mags and that rego number does appear to match up with Jim's Monaro. I wonder what became of both the Monaro and the Firebird driven here by Crosbie?

Hi Grant,

That race that Dad won against your Dad in the GTHO, I was there hanging out the pit board with my Mum doing the timing (One of the very few times she came to a race).

I do not remember the falcon having sign writing on it like in this Photo. It was a bloody good race and my old fella was driving really well getting the XU1 all sideways off that short front straight.

Maybe this is a different race, or maybe my memory of your Dad's car has faded..................... Back then my family were not big Ford fans, and I didn't take too much notice of them.....Ha Ha!

In fact I think we really, really were not Ford fans. That changed many years later. I think there were a few things Dad did not like when I was young, Fords, mag wheels, small steering wheels, sunglasses and car trailers.

He certainly changed over the years. I got him using all of the above.

Let me say this,....your Dad was a fierce competitor, and certainly was extremely hard to beat. Undoubtedly a very talented man, both as a driver and car preparer. If the Sprague family were involved you knew you were in for the fight of you life.

That is how we first met,.........................as you know I brought my Fiat down from the North to check you out. As it turns out I should have kept my powder dry............................................Ha! I will remember next time when we return to racing as bloody old farts.

Your family certainly earned many peoples respect.
    Regards to you and family,
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve Emson; 04-02-2014 at 04:07 AM.

Thats an awesome post Steve!

Thanks Steve [E] might I add the same as the Emsons hard to knock off the top rung , As for that weekend at Levels , I am not really sure which meeting it was could have been one prior But do know your Dad won the championship I think at a final at levels , there is a pik some where of Ernie , Ralf , & Jim side by side grinning like you would not believe.
    As for the Fiat 128,s we tried hard mate in the finals there was only two that really tried a wee bit harder than the rest , as years went by after you left to go to Oz I got involved with different classes , I still tried pretty hard for results , but like you took a different turn ..ifs & buts & what could have beens, I studied different competitors over the years over lots & lots of races & you never for get the ones that were really good & had hard fought battles you were one of only a couple Steve that I respected as fast , you had a good teacher also.........great to hear from you .... Grant