Thread: Noise

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    No Noise!

Great to see you fired up the boilers again Steve!
    There was no noise for two days on the other side of the Tasman.

There is bound to be a lot of noise after this weekend due the speed of a certain Volvo straight out of the box in a certain category that has a 30 year wait until we can talk about it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwaussie View Post
    No Noise!

Great to see you fired up the boilers again Steve!
    There was no noise for two days on the other side of the Tasman.

I understand that a BMW was DQ or meatballed at Pukekohe last Sunday due to noise.....yet to my ears some of the Alfa's were a lot noisier.
    Conversely, the chap taking the noise readings had to move from our point at one stage due to being too close to the stables...

who did this chap represent? organisers,council, msnz,drivers, or just himself? I do hope you asked him?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    I understand that a BMW was DQ or meatballed at Pukekohe last Sunday due to noise.....yet to my ears some of the Alfa's were a lot noisier.
    Conversely, the chap taking the noise readings had to move from our point at one stage due to being too close to the stables...
    I find the science of noise interesting. When I was a flaggie at Manfield, the Mini 7's were awfully noisy and hurt the ears, whereas the deep growl of a V8 would trip the 95 limit. It is the pitch of the sound that our ears perceive, not the loudness as such. Sort of like if the soundwaves travel faster and closer .

They did a sound test on Rally cars once at an NZRC round 15+ years ago. It was done at the scrutineering venue, which was a workshop with a corrugated iron fence around the outside carpark where the test was happening. The guy wondered why every car was over the limit. I kindly informed him that due to the surroundings he was wasting his time, and it would be more productive for everyone if he came and joined our team for a beer to discuss the Doppler effect. Great night and actually not a bad dude...for a council worker!