Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Noise

Quote Originally Posted by 928 View Post
    in NZ or AU? does make a difference
    Resource Consent in NZ

Semi-Pro Racer
    I've just quickly scanned thru the noise limits in relation to Teretonga Park as administered by the Invercargill City Council, They have three categorys of Noise Limits 'A. B. C.' and those refer to the number of days per annum that those limits apply with those readings being for a minimum of 15 minutes and within 20 meters of any dwelling ( rural in the case of Teretonga ) and outside of the Teretonga property/boundary. Therefore the reading taken at the track to check actual car readings is that imposed by the Club and MSNZ, not the local council who's monitoring points are all outside the venue boundaries. I would venture suggest that the same situation might apply to most if not all tracks in NZ...... Hope I've got that right, if I can figure out how I will edit and add the link to the document.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 928 View Post
    thanks for that. i will read and digest but at a quick glance things do not look good
    Results of the noise monitoring for Western Springs are on the council website
    Springs speedway noise monitoring

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    What I can't understand is why it is OK for a club to have music blasting out at 120db - with the doors and windows open so that you can hear/feel the bass reverberating half a kilometre away until 2am or later. Happened to us in Taupo a couple of years ago.
    That would likely have breached Taupo's noise rules, but it's up to the "subjective assessment" of the Noise Control officer.

Excessive noise is any noise that is under human control and of such a nature as to unreasonably interfere with the peace, comfort and convenience of any person. Examples of excessive noise may include a loud party, stereo, band practices, audible alarm or machinery.
    iirc Levels was the first circuit to get in trouble, because a local lawyer had a neighbouring lifestyle block and got schooled up on the RMA before the car club did. It's these same lifestylers who used to complain to Franklin council about the noise from working farms

Quote Originally Posted by Kwaussie View Post
    Resource Consent in NZ
    Generally a resource consent is applied for and issued BEFORE any activity, however they are being applied retrospectively, and that is where the issue starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Generally a resource consent is applied for and issued BEFORE any activity, however they are being applied retrospectively, and that is where the issue starts.
    Very similar to what happened with the venue I was involved in but as land owners were able to build a very strong case for future operations.
    The benefits that resulted far exceeded the noise level settings and hours of operation.
    One example was the generous noise contour that was applied retrospectively to the surrounding land; the inner where no further building could take place and the outer where land owners could apply for a building permit but had to acknowledge that they were building in a high noise area and they would have to specify and install triple glazing, extra insulation as well as tree planting to soften the noise impact.
    Last edited by Kwaussie; 09-12-2014 at 09:41 AM.

Journeyman Racer
    Very similar to what happened with the venue I was involved in but as land owners were able to build a very strong case for future operations.
    The benefits that resulted far exceeded the noise level settings and hours of operation.
    One example was the generous noise contour that was applied to the surrounding land; the inner where no further building could take place and the outer where land owners could apply for a building permit but had to acknowledge that they were building in a high noise area and they would have to specify and install triple glazing, extra insulation as well as tree planting to soften the noise impact.
    Thankfully you did not have to pander to Len Brown and his NIMBY sycophants nor shag a colleague at rate payers expense.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Forest could muffle racetrack noise complaints (nice photo of Pilette F5000)
    Residents living near Ruapuna Raceway want the city council to plant a forest to reduce noise coming from the track.

Semi-Pro Racer
    One example was the generous noise contour that was applied retrospectively to the surrounding land; the inner where no further building could take place and the outer where land owners could apply for a building permit but had to acknowledge that they were building in a high noise area and they would have to specify and install triple glazing, extra insulation as well as tree planting to soften the noise impact.
    I hope the club members of Southland Sports Car Club are investigating this avenue, with the recent moves to freehold the camping ground and restaurant land to the north of the Teretonga Circuit it would be prudent to have similar measures in place along with an understanding by future property owners of the noise limits that apply. Local body members come & go and it seems like every new bunch of recruits needs to be educated to this stuff.