Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Bill Pottinger Collection - Part 3

Thanks Steve, I am guessing that most purists, myself included, would wonder why you would chop up a historic car like the Begg. But as we know, cars like that aren't historic at the time (when they are back of the field) they are old dogs and acquired by broke people like me who wanted to go racing.
    So the result is we see progressively altered race cars which morph into very different iterations in an attempt to stay competitive, I note the postings here which try to track the mods of cars like Red Dawson's Camaro etc, so many changes over the years.

OK, these two pics show another spinner from the same October 1968 Gold Star event as that above of the Begg. Can anyone ID this driver?

Name:  2013-03-15_5.jpg
Views: 2055
Size:  88.3 KB

Name:  2013-03-15_6.jpg
Views: 1985
Size:  98.3 KB

How charming is this! What a great photo. Only in New Zealand would you see a sight like this. No pretences, just stick the latest high-tech Formula 1 Brabham Cosworth and the some Formula 1 drivers on a trailer, and tow them all around the track with a tractor! Perfect.

This is Bill's description of this photo:

"This is the victory parade lap following the 1969 Teretonga International and shows winner Piers Courage, 2nd place Graham Hill, and three others on the trailer. Plus of course Piers' Brabham-Ford BT24 Cosworth V8. In order of finish the next three would have been Chris Amon, Derek Bell and Roly Levis. I can't quite make out if those are the other three on the trailer or not. What do you think?

"The tractor is being driven by my friend Alan Johnstone, son of Clerk of the Course Jack Johnstone and the Massey Ferguson would have been from Jack's business, J.J. Ltd Tractor Services, in Invercargill".

Name:  2013-05-18_127.jpg
Views: 1897
Size:  120.5 KB

The spinning Cooper Austin is J. Tschursinov. Car is T36 MKIX ex Jensen, Dunstan, M & G Jukes etc. Dave Silcock

Quote Originally Posted by Kwaussie View Post
    Dave Morrison for sure.
    Your dead right kwassie, I was at daves yesterday, he has a similar picture on his wall

The spinning Cooper Austin is J. Tschursinov. Car is T36 MKIX ex Jensen, Dunstan, M & G Jukes etc. Dave Silcock
    Would this be the same {J} Tschursinov that ran a fiat 127 in GTX....mid 70 s

Would this be the same {J} Tschursinov that ran a fiat 127 in GTX....mid 70 s

From Teretonga 25 book - National GTX 7 October 1974
    Car# 13 J Turschinov Fiat 1.33.8
    Car# 63 G Sprague Fiat 1.33.6

From Teretonga 25 book - National GTX 7 October 1974
    Car# 13 J Turschinov Fiat 1.33.8
    Car# 63 G Sprague Fiat 1.33.6
    Thanks Kwaussie..... yep nice chap & fast I remember TJ quite small in size [these were the smaller sized cars in this class GTX but the rules & flags were the same as the then big boys].... there were only a couple 10ths in it all the way through every race always hard to shake him off ....
    Last edited by Grant Sprague; 04-06-2014 at 02:46 AM.

F5000 action from the Teretonga round of the 1971 Tasman Series.

This is John Cannon leading Kevin Bartlett.

Name:  2013-03-29_37.jpg
Views: 1863
Size:  141.9 KB

Same race, same corner. Graham McRae and Frank Matich.

Name:  2013-03-29_38.jpg
Views: 1763
Size:  167.1 KB

Another one for you guys to ID. This is from the Ruapuna Gold Star event in October 1968.

Check out the spectators cars. Some of those would have been classics even in 1968!

Name:  2013-03-15_15.jpg
Views: 1733
Size:  89.9 KB

Name:  2013-03-15_16.jpg
Views: 1717
Size:  97.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Another one for you guys to ID. This is from the Ruapuna Gold Star event in October 1968.
    Looks very like the ex David Young Cooper T65 with a guess that it is Alan Burrowes.

[QUOTE=Steve Holmes;38746]From the Teretonga round of the 1971 Tasman Series, and Teddy Pilette thunders down the front straight on his way to 3rd place finish in the McLaren M10B.

that was my 1st season working for VDS.they then took me to work in the UK with them.all because a shipping agent in wellington was looking for a mechanic to help them..since then I have been lucky working with good drivers and still in the business at TRD

World Champion
    This is a typical unassuming comment from Graham.
    He was not lucky, he was good.
    He was a sought after mechanic by many teams over the years and has been
    an esteemed member of the Toyota Racing Development staff for many years.

They have just announced that Toyota is moving their facilities from California to North Carolina next year
    which means Graham may have more time to follow The Roaring Season !
    Check this information on TRD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Racing_Development

(Ken Hyndman )

Saw this the other day.http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/motorsp...the-speedsters
    Great that Bill's photos are part of a new publication. I can remember buying a photo of my car - very proud at the time!

Saw this the other day.http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/motorsp...the-speedsters
    Great that Bill's photos are part of a new publication. I can remember buying a photo of my car - very proud at the time!
    What an interesting read , now I know more of the back ground of our" Bill".....after reading about this I decided to read it all , Bill works for Supply Services in Christchurch small world I am having lunch with the man that owns Supply Services tomorrow ....a close friend that backed me in motor racing .......Anglia, BMW, Mustang ..... a true gentleman
    Last edited by Grant Sprague; 04-14-2016 at 06:59 AM. Reason: english english

Bill Pottinger Book

I ordered a book off Bill Pottinger last week and it arrived yesterday.
    Great book with lots of photos (176 pages) from this very talented photographer.
    I would recommend it to anyone interested in this era of racing.
    I'll be reading it over the Easter break for sure.

Name:  PottingerBk.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  142.2 KB

Name:  Pottinger1.jpg
Views: 1003
Size:  140.6 KB

Name:  Pottinger2.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  144.4 KB

Name:  Pottinger3.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  132.7 KB

" Easter Break " we had that a while ago, BMC BOY you are retired every weekend is a long one, only issue the pubs close on Good Friday !! ..

I guess that should read Anzac weekend - you're right, all weeks and weekends run together anyway!