Thread: Wanted: Period Magazine Articles On Bob Jane's HQ Monaro

Wanted: Period Magazine Articles On Bob Jane's HQ Monaro

Folks, can anyone help with this? I'm after period magazine articles on Bob Jane's HQ Monaro, particularly in its original Improved Production guise, as raced in 1972 in the Australian Touring Car Championship.

I asked my good buddy Mark Oastler who wrote a brilliant and very detailed article on this car for Australian Muscle Car mag back in about 2007, and he recalls seeing an indepth article on the car written around 1972/73, providing details of its specifications. He can't recall exactly what magazine he saw it in though, but thinks it could possibly be Sports Car World.

Anyway, if anyone can help, I'd love to hear from you.

Name:  harvey_surfers_72.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  151.1 KB

Huge thanks to one of our Roaring Season Facebook members, Steve Snuggs, for sending me this. There ARE more articles out there on this car. Can anyone help?

Name:  1964810_836486363045300_447987654_n.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  93.2 KB

Name:  1902030_836486526378617_653424179_n.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  114.1 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Those pics show a directional ventilated disc that looks like an aftermart type that fits over the machined down OE hub.

Wow, how the heck did you manage to get all that detail from that photo Jac?

OK, further to my posting at the top of this thread. It has been confirmed there is a very indepth article on this car in the March 1973 Sports Car World. Would anyone here have a copy? I've managed to find a picture of the front cover. Can anyone help?

Name:  $_12.JPG
Views: 438
Size:  36.1 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Wow, how the heck did you manage to get all that detail from that photo Jac?
    Years of keeping an eye on those GM fellas that keep sneaking ford & other parts onto their cars in the futile attempt to keep up! Notice the front driven dizzy & fuel injection pump as well? Not many chev guys would disagree with having those items mounted up front!

Yep, that was a big deal back when this car was built, having the dizzy switched to the front.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    OK, further to my posting at the top of this thread. It has been confirmed there is a very indepth article on this car in the March 1973 Sports Car World. Would anyone here have a copy? I've managed to find a picture of the front cover. Can anyone help?

Name:  $_12.JPG
Views: 438
Size:  36.1 KB
    Steve
    I have a copy of that mag. Will try and send you a PDF by email later today.
    Interesting to see on cover it cost me a whole 40 cents.
    I hate to disappoint you but it is NOT a "very indepth article"
    It is actually the editor's impressions of being driven around Calder with Jane driving and the editor in the passenger seat.
    Terry

In #2 the brake directional vented rotor looks like a standard 12 inch Chev Corvette item. Would be a simple fit at that time as my HK Monaro had them on when it was built in 1969

Quote Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
    Steve
    I have a copy of that mag. Will try and send you a PDF by email later today.
    Interesting to see on cover it cost me a whole 40 cents.
    I hate to disappoint you but it is NOT a "very indepth article"
    It is actually the editor's impressions of being driven around Calder with Jane driving and the editor in the passenger seat.
    Terry
    Thanks so much Terry, I'd really appreciate that. I think what MarkO was referring to when talking about the article as he remembers it, was that, for the time, it was quite indepth, regarding how the car was built and some of the parts it was fitted with. I've just been trying to gather as much period info on the car as I can, so this will help greatly. Thanks again.

Steve, email with 3 x PDF sent
    Terry