Thread: Roycroft 2014

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Wasn't there long but I think Oldfart could do with more saloons to race with.

Name:  214_0308_07b.JPG
Views: 1363
Size:  95.0 KB

Name:  214_0308_09b.JPG
Views: 1391
Size:  66.3 KB

Name:  214_0308_22b.JPG
Views: 1402
Size:  95.4 KB

John Ure's Jaguar now on period wheels of the correct size.
    Name:  214_0308_24b.JPG
Views: 1390
Size:  62.1 KB
    Last edited by ERC; 03-08-2014 at 04:02 AM.

World Champion
    Ok, just got back from the Roycroft meeting. Damn cool when I arrived at 9am this morning, but soon warmed up to be damn hot this afternoon.

The usual interesting array of machinery, with some weird and wonderful body styles created by their owners. Competitor numbers seemed to be down on last year, which seems to be the lot of motoracing these days.

Our RS mate, Oldfart managed to get a second in the first race with his 'standard' Standard!!! The Jaguar sounded and went very well, and so did the Zephyr, while it was going. Not sure if it had a Raymond Mays head head on it.....it certainly had triple carbs, and really sounded the business, and driven with some verve.

Talking of 'sound'......noise. The noisiest things on the track, to my ears, were the racing motorcycles, especially the more modified ones.

Now I have just been informed that one of the competitors died this afternoon. I think it was a crash during the Formula Junior race, but not sure for certain. I saw the rescue helicopter fly in, and everything had come to a halt but had no idea that this had happened. Racing was apparently cancelled for the day. Not good.