Pre 1945 Sports
    Pre 1960 sports and single seaters
    Pre 61 saloons
    Formula Junior
    Pre 63 motorcycles
    Pre 1970 sidecars.

Something for everyone.
    See you there, don't be afraid to come and say hello and abuse me

Wasn't there long but I think Oldfart could do with more saloons to race with.

Name:  214_0308_07b.JPG
Views: 1353
Size:  95.0 KB

Name:  214_0308_09b.JPG
Views: 1378
Size:  66.3 KB

Name:  214_0308_22b.JPG
Views: 1390
Size:  95.4 KB

John Ure's Jaguar now on period wheels of the correct size.
    Name:  214_0308_24b.JPG
Views: 1379
Size:  62.1 KB
    Last edited by ERC; 03-08-2014 at 04:02 AM.

Just seen that someone was killed at 1pm and the meeting cancelled. Not sure whether or not that applies to Sunday.

So sad.
    Last edited by ERC; 03-08-2014 at 05:37 AM.

World Champion
    Ok, just got back from the Roycroft meeting. Damn cool when I arrived at 9am this morning, but soon warmed up to be damn hot this afternoon.

The usual interesting array of machinery, with some weird and wonderful body styles created by their owners. Competitor numbers seemed to be down on last year, which seems to be the lot of motoracing these days.

Our RS mate, Oldfart managed to get a second in the first race with his 'standard' Standard!!! The Jaguar sounded and went very well, and so did the Zephyr, while it was going. Not sure if it had a Raymond Mays head head on it.....it certainly had triple carbs, and really sounded the business, and driven with some verve.

Talking of 'sound'......noise. The noisiest things on the track, to my ears, were the racing motorcycles, especially the more modified ones.

Now I have just been informed that one of the competitors died this afternoon. I think it was a crash during the Formula Junior race, but not sure for certain. I saw the rescue helicopter fly in, and everything had come to a halt but had no idea that this had happened. Racing was apparently cancelled for the day. Not good.

Oh heck. As most of us know most of the FJ drivers, I'm seriously concerned.

Footage on 3 News. It looked like the sweeper heading onto the front stretch. Not what we like to hear. My thoughts are with the drivers family and friends at this time.

Anthony

Typical. We watched Prime & TV1 news and there was no mention on TV1 and just a mention on Prime.

Thanks for the PM Ricky. I now know who.

World Champion
    Has anyone got any information about the Roycroft meeting. There seems to be news blackout, and I know the serious crash unit was involved, and that they had 'shut the track down' pending an investigation.......though I cant see what a motoracing incident has got to do with them, when it is clearly not on a public highway.

A crash like this shakes up all the racing fraternity, and we have just been left in limbo, wondering and worrying who was the victim.
    I can understand that next of kin need to be informed first so maybe that is the problem.

Whoever it was, there is a family somewhere whos husband, partner, dad, did not come home last night, a devastating thing to happen.

I heard the person? driving a FJ had a medical issue behind the wheel and then crashed, went straight in around the sweeper somewhere which as we all know is pretty damn wide, no other vehicles involved i believe!!

Still, as you say Gerald he will have family and friends somewhere that will be somewhat sad at the moment, gotta feel for them!! God Bless

Dale M

Semi-Pro Racer
    Dale I have been competing there today and the general indication is as you have noted. I am also sorry to inform Gerald (AMCO72) that my completely standard MK1 850 Min was beaten by Oldfarts Twin Carb Herald Coupe powered Standard ten. We both had to deal with Anne in her 1906 Darraq. We could get her in the corners as she has hand operated two wheel brakes but 14 litres of 1906 technology is still capable of !60 kmh. Due to the small saloon entry Rhys and I ended up running with the vintage cars today. John Ures Mk 7 Jag ran with the faster group. WE desperately need more pre 1961 saloons.
    Graeme Banks

Dale, your comment is presumed correct, but until coroners etc unconfirmed. Len May was the person concerned.
    Saturday afternoon was cancelled, but Sunday went ahead pretty much as scheduled, however the Formula Juniors withdrew in respect.
    John Ure, as expected was much quicker than GeeBee and I, but a touch slower than Grant Clearwaters' Zephyr while he was running, he dropped a headgasket. No, not a Raymond Mays head, but I understand he has one hiding for the future.
    The Pre 61s had a lot of interest from potential entrants. 2 more meetings each season have been offered if we can get more cars.
    Attrition list was; Grant Clearwater as above
    Ryan MacDonald A30, major issues on his test drive on Friday afternoon prevented his attendance
    GeeBee had brake issues to resolve Saturday, so his arrival at 8.30am Sunday was good
    Rob Williams V8 coupe had some unusual noises midweek which they were unable to resolve
    Keith Elliot Alfa had issues at Taupo so was not able to enter, (I don't think he can stay away in the future)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Dale, your comment is presumed correct, but until coroners etc unconfirmed. Len May was the person concerned.
    Saturday afternoon was cancelled, but Sunday went ahead pretty much as scheduled, however the Formula Juniors withdrew in respect.
    John Ure, as expected was much quicker than GeeBee and I, but a touch slower than Grant Clearwaters' Zephyr while he was running, he dropped a headgasket. No, not a Raymond Mays head, but I understand he has one hiding for the future.
    The Pre 61s had a lot of interest from potential entrants. 2 more meetings each season have been offered if we can get more cars.
    Attrition list was; Grant Clearwater as above
    Ryan MacDonald A30, major issues on his test drive on Friday afternoon prevented his attendance
    GeeBee had brake issues to resolve Saturday, so his arrival at 8.30am Sunday was good
    Rob Williams V8 coupe had some unusual noises midweek which they were unable to resolve
    Keith Elliot Alfa had issues at Taupo so was not able to enter, (I don't think he can stay away in the future)
    Was only going on speculation and a couple of txt's Oldfart, either way its still sad and im sure as you say all will come out with the coroners report!! funny how the news media report it in such a way you'rd think it was a major racing incident, EG: cars crashing into each other!! gotta get those ratings up!!!

Rhy's stick to your guns with your pre 61 Saloon group and don't let Ray(ERC) beat you around!! every grid is small compared to his series but at least proper classic cars and your proper classic racing group isn't a hotrod freak show!! im rite behind you and would rather watch your period grid any day even with less numbers, as long as the quality and correctness is there!! and yeah, yeah i know Ray, track owners and event organizers can't afford to have small grids, etc, etc, next!!

Dale M(fingers in ears, waiting for it)

Roycroft 2014 Photos

Name:  Roycroft-Bug.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  145.9 KB

Name:  RA-Vanguard.jpg
Views: 995
Size:  147.6 KB

Name:  No-8-Sports.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  138.9 KB

Name:  Healeys.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  125.7 KB

Name:  Benbrooks.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  117.2 KB

Name:  Austin-Special.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  145.3 KB

Roycroft 2014 Photos

Name:  Riley-Special.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  139.5 KB

Name:  Riley-Dash.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  149.4 KB

Name:  Buckler-Elva.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  145.7 KB

Name:  Villiers-Flyer.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  134.7 KB

Name:  Quad-SUs.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  146.4 KB

Name:  D-Type.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  143.1 KB

Love the photos Ross. Any info on the D Type Jaguar ?

Great photos,what is car 441, single seater with wire wheels ?

World Champion
    It is the Begby special. A beautifully constructed little machine and a real credit to its owner/builder. Sorry cant provide any more details but someone will know.

Another machine that took my eye, not because of its beautiful construction, but because its inlet manifolds were made from house-hold plastic waste pipes!!!!!!!!!!!Have never seen such a thing, and am surprised that it passed scrutineering. It was supercharged, and had a long and convoluted inlet from the blower, through a heat exchanger [I think] and eventually to the head. There were a lot of twists and turns and no doubt easy to construct with waste pipe, but................. ............ The pipes were paint black to confuse armchair critics.

Got any photos of the 'plumbing' Gerald. Sounds interesting. Maybe adult version of 'Lego'

World Champion
    No Rod, I haven't. Yes I know the mixture passing through the pipes was cool...ish, but the exhaust pipes were also very close. A recipe for a fire I would say. And yes 'plumbing' was a very apt description!!!!!!!!!!!

Journeyman Racer
    [QUOTE=AMCO72;38886]It is the Begby special. A beautifully constructed little machine and a real credit to its owner/builder. Sorry cant provide any more details but someone will know.
    Info coming Gerald. It's Bagby special