Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Roycroft 2014

Did I read somewhere the reason the British like their beer warm and their pies cold is because Joseph Lucas used to make fridges and ovens?

This Brit likes his food hot and his cold drinks cold! Remember that most of us oldies grew up with no fridge in the house.

Interesting that the engineer who I now trust to do the work on my car is ex Lucas!

When I owned my Triumph 2500TC we used to call Lucas "The Prince of Darkness"

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    This Brit likes his food hot and his cold drinks cold! Remember that most of us oldies grew up with no fridge in the house.

Isnt that because you grew up before electricity was discovered??

Quote Originally Posted by rf84 View Post
    Ellis
    Don't forget the Lucas electrical system! Apparently Joseph Lucas had a theory that electrical components actually worked by smoke and that electricity was simply a means to transfer smoke from one part of the electrical system to another. This can actually be proven. When smoke pours out of a Lucas component that component stops functioning fairly soon afterwards
    In my case there is the bare minimum, trailer wire to the rear and front lights. Mr Lucas has only a wiper to his credit on this car.

I was asked once by a fellow that worked on British cars if I knew why the British didn't make TV's, he told me it was because they couldn't get them to leak oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    In my case there is the bare minimum, trailer wire to the rear and front lights. Mr Lucas has only a wiper to his credit on this car.
    What? No dynamo, starter motor, voltage regulator box, lights, switches? Hey what is this Oldfart, a thinly disguised Hot Rod!!!!! Don't let Dale hear that you have lightened it by stripping out the surplus wiring. He'll go apoplectic.

Crunch - not quite, though it was penny in the meters for gas and electricity!

After the shock of losing Len May, are there any updates on Vince Anderson who I believe was "triped" upside down in the ex Rob Willams elva 100. Heard he has a back injury and also there was an "event" with a Austin 7 and that Driver being hurt.

I wasn't aware of those incidents but it seems that this year is probably the worst we have ever had and we are only into March.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    Your right about the wiring....even a colour-blind person can sort it out, AND it was a decent weight, not the skinny stuff you find on Japanese cars........the absolute bare minimum to carry the load. Saves weight apparently!!!!!
    The spirit of Colin Chapman lives on.

World Champion
    I used to say that you could plug the National Grid into some of the wiring on my MG 1100 and it would take it........for a while.....using good old silver-paper 'fuses'.

Quote Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
    After the shock of losing Len May, are there any updates on Vince Anderson who I believe was "triped" upside down in the ex Rob Willams elva 100. Heard he has a back injury and also there was an "event" with a Austin 7 and that Driver being hurt.
    Vince is in the hospital bed next to Tony Sturm and although Vince has some back injuries the prognosis is that it should self heal without the need for surgery. It was a dark day for Formula Junior after so many years without any significant incidents.

The Austin 7 accident was apparently caused by oil on turn 1 and the car flipped several times throwing out the driver. He has shoulder and back injuries and is very sore but evidently they will fix in time after some surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by rf84 View Post
    Ellis
    Don't forget the Lucas electrical system! Apparently Joseph Lucas had a theory that electrical components actually worked by smoke and that electricity was simply a means to transfer smoke from one part of the electrical system to another. This can actually be proven. When smoke pours out of a Lucas component that component stops functioning fairly soon afterwards
    I am 85 years old in a day or two and can prove in depth knowledge and experience in regard to all forms of electrical systems. I get very annoyed when people who do not know the basics run down English and in particular Lucas electrical systems. Never anything specific is detailed and in depth knowledge is seldom on display.

Prior to shortly after the major war, all US cars incorporated six volt electrics. The headlights were a joke in all respects. Flat batteries were the order of the day. It took British imports to show them the way. On the technical front Lucas was always ahead.

If you want smoke try a pre war Ford. Henry regarded fuses as being a nuisance. A Lucas distributer transformed the flat head Ford V8 I raced at one time. Compare the US on and off throttle sensitive vacuum operated wipers with a Lucas electrical system. I recall an incident when driving a 1938 Chev blind, I came close to death. Yes I know how the hopeless system operated and hopefully including a reserve vacuum tank.

That said, all automotive electrical system design is and always has been stupid and would not be tolerated in any industrial situation. Electronic modules distributed around like as on a daisy chain in every notch and cranny. As for the attendant tenuous loom. Design? LOL.

Which is why I designed and built my own loom for the project car - but wherever and whenever possible, I used the aforementioned colour coding and every item with its own fuse! Good to hear some support for Lucas.

I must call in on Tony Sturm again, but he'll no doubt be happy to have someone to talk to in the next bed.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    My Mk5 Buckler No 45 is road legal and the WOF inspector could almost use a trailer form for it. No Windscreen, sunvisor, wiper, washers, doors. high stop, seat belts, indicators, hydraulic brake pipes, or spare wheel, true 1950s technology with some Joseph Lucas to keep it sparking and Ford rod brakes. Although its only 1172cc and shaped like a brick it can do Hampton Downs in 1.34 and its doing over 90mph (by GPS) across the finish line. From a man who has owned a lot of Fiats, British technology in the 1950s produced some good ones

Graeme Banks

Re pre 61 saloon car series. Am i right in that it is run under the VCCNZ umbrella. What are the safety requirements as regards raceware,fire,harness etc.? How many meetings would you expect to get at present.....dam you guys,you have got me interested now !!!

If we have another interested we are on the road even more!
    Yes VCC umbrella
    Racewear, either multi layer or approved wit nomex etc underwear
    Harness optional but suggested
    Roll protection likewise
    We have been offered 2 more Hampton events + Roycroft and Taupo 1st weekend December.
    My email for further pre61saloonregister@gmail.com for the whole deal

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    What? No dynamo, starter motor, voltage regulator box, lights, switches? Hey what is this Oldfart, a thinly disguised Hot Rod!!!!! Don't let Dale hear that you have lightened it by stripping out the surplus wiring. He'll go apoplectic.

Crunch - not quite, though it was penny in the meters for gas and electricity!
    Well, as it was in the day "as it was, so it shall be" the dynamo has the guts ripped out, the voltage reg is decoration only, switches are not lucas, and yes it does have a starter, but being as it was, the solenoid is a press button in the engine bay, pull the knob on the dash the lights show as Smiths. No gauges at all!