Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Roycroft 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    John Ure, as expected was much quicker than GeeBee and I, but a touch slower than Grant Clearwaters' Zephyr while he was running, he dropped a headgasket. No, not a Raymond Mays head, but I understand he has one hiding for the future.
    The Pre 61s had a lot of interest from potential entrants. 2 more meetings each season have been offered if we can get more cars.
    Attrition list was; Grant Clearwater as above
    Ryan MacDonald A30, major issues on his test drive on Friday afternoon prevented his attendance
    GeeBee had brake issues to resolve Saturday, so his arrival at 8.30am Sunday was good
    Rob Williams V8 coupe had some unusual noises midweek which they were unable to resolve
    Keith Elliot Alfa had issues at Taupo so was not able to enter, (I don't think he can stay away in the future)
    Rhys, I am really encouraged by your new Pre 61 saloons class. Great work! I think this has so much potential. Every new class has to start somewhere. You've got over the first few hurdles, now you've got the cars out on the track. Keep at it, the class will snowball.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Rhys, I am really encouraged by your new Pre 61 saloons class. Great work! I think this has so much potential. Every new class has to start somewhere. You've got over the first few hurdles, now you've got the cars out on the track. Keep at it, the class will snowball.
    Hell, I have put a hell ofa lot of effort in here, built my own car when I would actually prefer to be running a sports car, spoken with 55 truckloads of people, paid to save a car or two so that some others might have access to applicable cars, I ain't giving up for at least another year.

Anybody got an action shot of Bubbles the Standard 10? It's Bubbles because the second owner (I am the 3rd) christened it Bubbles and I promised to keep it that way

Semi-Pro Racer
    Gerald I believe the Dogs Bollox Special has a Sunbeam Talbot engine. Looks impressive with those 4 SUs

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    Good question...another one of the weird and wonderful creations that were racing in the weekend. Has bits of Morris and other 30's British makes in its construction, and the design is someones dream that has curdled into someone elses nightmare. Vaguely resembles a Vintage Vauxhall. The engine was interesting, and there is a better picture in Ross Cammicks photos showing the 4 SU's, but what the block is I have no idea. Oldfart will know.

No pictures yet of the machine with the 'waste-pipe' plumbing.

It's the "Dogs Bollox Special"
    What a cool name, I did think you were taking the piss out of me but the 4 carbs and style of those front guards remind me of something else but it is certainly different. Great event Oldfart, keep it going.

Bagby Special Photos

These photos taken at Taupo last year - superb restoration.

Name:  Bagby-Front.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  148.9 KB

Name:  Bagby-Special-Engine.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  144.2 KB

Name:  bagby-Cockpit.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  146.9 KB

Name:  Bagby-Engine.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  136.6 KB

Name:  Bagby-Rear.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  139.0 KB

Roycroft 2014 Photos

Name:  Lola-Junior.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  131.6 KB

Name:  FMZ-Junior.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  138.6 KB

Name:  DKW-FJ.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  135.6 KB

Name:  Bagby-Jag-RA.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  136.1 KB

Name:  Bucklers.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  145.9 KB

Name:  Cooper-Bug-Buckler.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  144.9 KB

Roycroft 2014 Photos

Name:  100S-and-100-6.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  149.2 KB

Name:  Stangalini-Cooper-Gemini.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  143.4 KB

Name:  Lotus-FMZ.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  133.2 KB

Name:  Len-May-Cooper.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  145.9 KB

Name:  Sexton-Gemini.jpg
Size:  147.7 KB

Name:  Cooper-F3.jpg
Size:  125.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    Good question...another one of the weird and wonderful creations that were racing in the weekend. Has bits of Morris and other 30's British makes in its construction, and the design is someones dream that has curdled into someone elses nightmare. Vaguely resembles a Vintage Vauxhall. The engine was interesting, and there is a better picture in Ross Cammicks photos showing the 4 SU's, but what the block is I have no idea. Oldfart will know.

No pictures yet of the machine with the 'waste-pipe' plumbing.
    I was told Morris 8 chassis and Talbot 90 engine?? in the Dogs Bollox but I can't be absolutely sure

Has anyone any photos of the Standard 10 on track?
    Cheers

Has anyone any photos of the Standard 10 on track?
    Cheers
    Sorry Oldfart but I only got one shot of your car in the pits with the air brakes deployed.

Name:  IMG_3579.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  132.0 KB
    Last edited by nigel watts; 03-11-2014 at 09:48 AM.

Sorry, I missed it too. It was so quiet out on the track that I waited a while after the Jag went past and thought that was it, so I headed away back to the paddock - and missed you! (Late Saturday morning.) Part of the problem with small grids and fairly quiet cars.

I hope you can generate more interest in the class though or you'll just have to run with the sports cars - which is no bad thing really. You can always split the class when numbers are viable.

The prices being asked on Trade Me for old saloons seem to be very pricey and I know that my better half would rather I spent the money on a usable MGF rather than an Austin A40.

Quote Originally Posted by nigel watts View Post
    Sorry Oldfart but I only got one shot of your car in the pits with the air brakes extended.

Name:  IMG_3579.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  132.0 KB
    ...that's not one of the rods laying on the ground under it is it? Is the yellow thing the obligatory drip tray for English cars?

Semi-Pro Racer
    English cars take some beating....
    Water drips in around the windsceen etc onto the floor
    but
    When it runs out onto the ground it has turned into oil

Some sort of chemical reaction maybe....I've got several 1920's and 30's Austins so can speak from experience
    Rovers I've heard are probably the best at it.......TIC

Love it!
    The story of actually getting Bubbles there is quite lengthy, but in short at 9ish on Friday the whole front suspension, engine and gearbox were on the garage floor in the Bay of Islands while I tried to get some clutch action. I had changed out the brand new unit in case that was the issue, put it all back in, and no clutch at all. A bit later I found that while the slave was working perfectly, the pushrod was too short to do the business, so another extension was tried, then a proper version made. At 3 I loaded the trailer, left to come down for the event, and that photo shows when the gearbox was actually being given some oil. Timed, no, wheel alignment no, but I was there
    Drip tray, of course, it's English, no oil drips = no oil.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Ellis
    Don't forget the Lucas electrical system! Apparently Joseph Lucas had a theory that electrical components actually worked by smoke and that electricity was simply a means to transfer smoke from one part of the electrical system to another. This can actually be proven. When smoke pours out of a Lucas component that component stops functioning fairly soon afterwards

At least we Brits have a sense of humour about our heritage in the automotive industry!

Don't forget that oil changes are totally unnecessary...

At least the Joe Lucas stuff lasts longer and is more sturdy than many of the modern equivalents. The only failed electrical components on my rebuilds have NOT had Lucas on them!

Rewiring a car with Lucas colour codes (later adapted to BS-AU7a 1983 Colour Code for Vehicle Wiring) is a piece of cake too. Much more logical than any Japanese car.

World Champion
    I have had wiper motors that have been going since 'Auntie fell off the Tram', in other words a bloody long time. And these things are notoriously unreliable. Maybe I didn't take the car out into the rain very much.

Your right about the wiring....even a colour-blind person can sort it out, AND it was a decent weight, not the skinny stuff you find on Japanese cars........the absolute bare minimum to carry the load. Saves weight apparently!!!!!