Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Roycroft 2014

World Champion
    Another neat picture of Fred and his buddies. Take time to study that photo.......it's priceless.

Talk about a 'patina of age'...........not only the car!

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    Another neat picture of Fred and his buddies. Take time to study that photo.......it's priceless.

That Northland Special is such an iconic car and part of our history. Not only for it's performances but also because it's the first car in NZ to have sponsorship from two opposing oil companies!

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post

Your right Gerald, how long has Fred owned that car for and how old is Fred ?
    Fantastic photos Nigel.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post
    I am 85 years old in a day or two and can prove in depth knowledge and experience in regard to all forms of electrical systems. I get very annoyed when people who do not know the basics run down English and in particular Lucas electrical systems. Never anything specific is detailed and in depth knowledge is seldom on display.
    Trevor, my father-in-law is about your age, and was an auto sparky in the family business (C.E. Monty Whites) in Frankton, Hamilton. He learnt his trade from his father, who had worked at Lucas (in Coventry, iirc). He held 6-volt VWs in the greatest disdain.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Did I read somewhere the reason the British like their beer warm and their pies cold is because Joseph Lucas used to make fridges and ovens?
    LOL. Exactly when, where and why? N.B. Those who are well read in respect of facts, know full well that Joseph Lucas exclusively manufactured quite superb oil and carbide lamps for horse drawn vehicles and bicycles before electricity was in use.

Quote Originally Posted by crunch View Post
    That Northland Special is such an iconic car and part of our history. Not only for it's performances but also because it's the first car in NZ to have sponsorship from two opposing oil companies!
    Quite a flash car in its time, but the rough and ready old GeeCeeEss had it beaten and was the true icon of the type and era.

Quite a flash car in its time, but the rough and ready old GeeCeeEss had it beaten and was the true icon of the type and era.
    Really? Which one won the first NZ Grand Prix?
    Both are a bit grandfathers axe like, I just asked Fred 1970 was when he got it and he's now 72, had a birthday not too long back

Both are a bit grandfathers axe like, I just asked Fred 1970 was when he got it and he's now 72, had a birthday not too long back!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Both are a bit grandfathers axe like, I just asked Fred 1970 was when he got it and he's now 72, had a birthday not too long back!
    The frst N.Z.G.P, Ohakea, 1950, was won by John Mcmillan, Jackson Special. The first N.Z.I.G.P. Ardmore, 1954, was won by Stan Jones, Mayback special.

Really, when did the Northland Special head off the GCS, anywhere and at any time? Today is my birthday.:-)

Happy Birthday Trevor

The frst N.Z.G.P, Ohakea, 1950, was won by John Mcmillan, Jackson Special. The first N.Z.I.G.P. Ardmore, 1954, was won by Stan Jones, Mayback special.

Really, when did the Northland Special head off the GCS, anywhere and at any time? Today is my birthday.:-)
    The Northland special is the Jackson.
    Maybach to be totally correct too!
    Happy birthday
    Last edited by Oldfart; 03-13-2014 at 07:03 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer

Jackson/Logan/Palmer/Northland/Offenhauser/Northland Special.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Not sure about the Grandad's Axe description, I took this photo 51 years ago (November 1962) and most of the visible parts look the same, apart from different bonnet line to accomodate different motor. (more than I can say about myself!). Probably first ten years saw most of the changes.

(Grahame Harvey at Chamberlain Road Bombay)

Stu Buchanan

Semi-Pro Racer
    Great photos, keep 'em coming!

Name:  IMG_0057.JPG
Views: 452
Size:  151.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0147.JPG
Views: 400
Size:  141.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0150.JPG
Views: 393
Size:  127.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0162.JPG
Views: 427
Size:  154.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0179.JPG
Views: 471
Size:  140.9 KB

With a little help from my friends
    Name:  IMG_0180.JPG
Views: 467
Size:  149.8 KB

World Champion
    The one car that I would have taken home, if I had been so lucky, was the Alfa Romeo 1750. It was parked outside the door to 'Hamptons' and I presume came from Southwards, as I saw their trailer in the park. This model, or similar, was the one that Nuvolari won the Mille Miglia with in 1930, beating his friend and rival Varzi also in an Alfa.

It sounded absolutely gorgeous when started up, with the supercharger wailing away.

I may have missed it, but I don't see it on here, and I am sure Nigel has a shot of it somewhere.

Your wish is my command..

Name:  214_0308_17.JPG
Views: 343
Size:  73.9 KB