Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 1976 Australian Sports Sedans

the dirty Monaro last pic?

Rex Monahan I believe angria. Sorry, I don't have info on the car though.

World Champion
    I found this info regarding the Foley Alfa
    Vin Sharp apparently has this car ...
    . Foley raced it with the original Autodelta 2.0 and for 72 had a Tasman spec 33 engine of 2.5 capacity out of the Mildren “Yellow Submarine” shoehorned in it. This car also headed West but is now back “east” and will be restored back to 71 spec with the 2.0 engine that came with the car

World Champion
    The Ron Harrop Holden EK apparently is in one piece and awaiting restoration

World Champion
    here is a thread on the Thommo torana http://www.gmh-torana.com.au/forums/...d/page__st__25

Weekend Warrior
    Hi Everyone

First time poster. Really enjoying this website. Lots to digest.

I stumbled across the clip of the 76 race as posted by Steve when searching on another forum.

I own the ex Ray Molloy supermini which you can see if the first part of the clip, right at the end. Car No 40. First logged book as a Sports Sedan in '73. I bought it in '89. Just spent two years restoring it to the last colour scheme used by Ray.

Below is a picture of its first outing (minus engine) at the celebration of 50 years of mini in Australia held at the Melbourne show grounds in July this year.

Cheers Steve

Name:  DSCN5131.jpg
Views: 1335
Size:  64.4 KB

Hey Rookie, thats one hell of a first post! Very cool! You've out done yourself restoring that Mini. What an absolute stunner. Are those Mawer wheels on the back? I hope you'll fill us in some more on this car and its history. Fell free to start a dedicated thread for it.

Bry, you're a wealth of knowledge on this stuff! Thanks for all your efforts. Would love to know how the EH is coming along. Didn't Jim Richards borrow when his Mustang had broken?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Bry, you're a wealth of knowledge on this stuff! Thanks for all your efforts. Would love to know how the EH is coming along. Didn't Jim Richards borrow when his Mustang had broken?
    Jim did drive it....with Sidchrome signage.
    I think after Mank had it, it went to a Stewart Douglas. Not sure what happenned to it after that or who is restoring it. I read a post somewhere a couple of years ago where it was going to be restored.

On another car ..Moffats Monza....
    Thru this site I was able to contact the current owner.
    Sent him a full size pic of it . He said in his reply that the resto is starting next week. ....

Copy /Paste of his reply.....
    I am the current owner of DeKon 1005. After Moffat, the Monza had several owners, all of whom raced it in Australia and NZ. Remarkably, the car stayed intact throughout its long racing career. At the end of its career, it was sold to a American. I am embarrassed to say that this sale is the worst thing that ever happen to the Monza. The car was disassembled. Some parts were used to restore a different DeKon and a few other parts were sold.

I have been collecting parts for it for a while. The restoration will finally begin next week.

Thanks again.

Steve
    Last edited by Ellis; 09-07-2011 at 10:34 AM. Reason: EH details

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks for the welcome Steve.

They are Mawers on the rear. The car can run either 10" or 13" on the front. Just need to get some replica Mawers made for the front.

In answer to your question regarding Category U, or Historic Sport Sedans, I contacted Fred Sayers a couple of years ago re the category. If my understanding is right, to be eligable for group U, the original log book is surrended to Cams and a new log book is issued for a cost of $800, something I'm not prepared to do at this time. The car specs are frozen for a particular period which you specify. What I don't understand is the safety aspects of these regs as my car originally ran with a low bucket seat without head restraint, which I'm not prepared to do. I have also changed the roll cage (still have the original) to a safer one although its still alloy. Original tyres are no longer available. I also now run an air filter, which it originally didn't have. At what stage does it become ineligable, or do I make it original and unusable?

I also have the car logged book with the AASA and are hoping to do some racing with the MRA soon. I've love to take it to the Muscle Car Masters and participate in hot laps or displays if thats possible.

Steve

Name:  molloy01b_edited.jpg
Views: 1224
Size:  83.2 KB

That is awesome Steve. Great to know another one has been saved, and is in good hands. Your comments about CAMS and their required payment are the exact same sentiments Graham Booth told me when I spoke to him about his Jim Richards Falcon hardtop. He doesn't want to have to pay a fee to be told what he already knows he has.

Your predicament regarding how accurate you make the car to how it originally was is the same many people have when considering their options with an old race car. Although there were plenty of good things about the history of the sport, there were a few things that weren't so great, such as the safety features, or lack of.

World Champion
    Rookie..Welcome to the site, and I must Agree with Steve - Fantastic job on the Mini, would love to see it next to Angria105's Anglia. Any chance of getting it to the Sandown Historics - Maybe we could have a group U display to gather some interest. Angria 105 has been in contact with CAMs regarding Group U regs - you guys need to swap notes

from the conversations ive had with cams elegbility guys the safety aspect is something they are flexable about, the seat no problem rollcage can be updated Rookie ill send you the contact for Wayne and John.

World Champion
    thought this one has disappeared

Its apparently been with the same owner for many years.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 105angria View Post
    from the conversations ive had with cams elegbility guys the safety aspect is something they are flexable about, the seat no problem rollcage can be updated Rookie ill send you the contact for Wayne and John.
    C.A.M.S.........Completely Against Motor Sport !!!!!

where would you get a set of Mawers wheels made, these look the same as Lefoes Imp,

World Champion
    ..and that dark Angria Brain starts ticking.....

If you can find a wheel you should be able to get some copies made. Mawer were one of the first, if not the first Aussie company to start producing light weight race wheels as an affordable alternative to the expensive imported stuff. Prior to this most grass-roots racers had to widen steel wheels.

Tracked down new wheel makers