Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cars that famous people owned - that surprised you!

Quote Originally Posted by rf84 View Post
    Think Denny drove a Chevette only because he had to-seem to remember him advertising/endorsing them in TV ads. I was present at Manfield on one occasion when Denny rocked up at the pit entrance gate in said Chevette and without his pit pass. The exchange between Denny and the marshall on the gate was short and not very sweet with Denny asking "Don't you know who I am?" and (without waiting for an answer), driving straight through. You can't blame the poor marshall-it was stretching anyone's credibility to believe that an ex F1 World Champion would drive a Chevette!
    He sure did'nt act like a former World Champ. I have photos of him unloading the Yardley McLaren with Greta at one of the MG Classic meetings. He towed it in behind his Commodore and they casually untied it and rolled it off it's open trailer....those were the days..even kids with karts have enclosed trailers now !!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    From reading various books the general word was that the A35 was "indecently" fast in the hands of it's talented owner and often attracted the attention of the law in various countries
    It was also modified at one Brands Hatch meeting to run on a real fuel cocktail. They wheeled it onto the grid and when the flag fell, he scorched away leaving clouds of tell tale smoke behind that made the eyes water! I think he was only a director of Speedwell.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Don't think that counts!
    Years ago in kawakawa, a bloke whose name I have forgotten owned a v12 Etype that used to belong to somebody from the rolling stones it had a worked engine with 6 ida webbers down the middle & was the biggest heap of junk I have ever seen until he made it the smallest heap of junk by going through a T junction at over a 100mph &totally demolishing it, it sat at the entrance to kawa for a couple of weeks then dissapeared, from memory the guy got out with hardly a scratch.

Journeyman Racer
    Former Australian Prime, Malcolm Fraser drove [and probably still drives] a Lancia Flaminia.

Doesn't Judith Collins still have an MG?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Judith probably has a Chinese MG. Maybe a milk-for-cars deal like the old NZ Dairy Board did with the Russians for Ladas?

Quote Originally Posted by rf84 View Post
    Judith probably has a Chinese MG. Maybe a milk-for-cars deal like the old NZ Dairy Board did with the Russians for Ladas?
    LOL - I think its an MGB which is definitely pre-Chinese.

And, perhaps surprising considering his height, Mick Fleetwood has an Austin 7! Probably more room in it then most modern cars... :-)

World Champion
    Mick Fleetwood and his Austin 7
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    And, perhaps surprising considering his height, Mick Fleetwood has an Austin 7! Probably more room in it then most modern cars... :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Don Symon, NZ bronze medal rower at the 1984 Olympics, drove a mini. Told me it was the only car he could fit his long legs into. :-)

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    When we used to visit Mike Hailwood at his house in Mairangi Bay in Auckland in the '70s he used to get around in a Citroen / Maserati SM
    Yeah - we used to see it around the Bays occasionally - only one I've seen

Spman, it lived up Matipo Rd way in Mairangi Bay did'nt it.

Also from same area Murrays Bay, way back a young fella had a model A with deck on back and surf racks with engine painted all different colours, and would drive it around the rocks from bay to bay when tide was out. Went on to become a NZ rally champion (few times) and maybe best known rally man from this country so far.

Journeyman Racer
    As far as I can remember Rod , Mike the bike lived in a side road near or directly off Maxwelton Drive near Windsor Park in Mairangi / Murrays Bay.
    According to dad , who used to fix his tv ( first colour tv's such as Pye Vidmatic and Philips K9 etc broke down once a month ) there was a now priceless 250cc 6-cyl Isle of Man Honda mounted inside the house as a display and some interesting trinkets etc displayed within the house such as Mike's George Medal for bravery he got during his F1 career mounted under glass in a coffee table.
    I recall rumours of one of his houses having an F1 or F5000 car mounted on the lounge wall. May have just been an urban legend ?
    Phil Kerr will know for sure.
    I remember Bob Haldane telling me that Mike approached him wanting a competitive bike to practice on in N.Z before heading back to the Isle of Man for his legendary comeback win on the Ducati 900SS.
    Bob loaned him a Yamaha TZ and for a guy with a badly damaged ankle ( F1 crash ) they had to switch the gearchange to the other side of the bike and Bob was floored that Mike was close to the Pukekohe lap record after a minimal number of practice laps.
    He hadn't ridden since '67 ( 10 years ! ) and this was his first ride of a bike with disk brakes.
    Superb talent and down to earth guy with a great sense of humour

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Spman, it lived up Matipo Rd way in Mairangi Bay did'nt it.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SPman View Post
    Yeah - we used to see it around the Bays occasionally - only one I've seen
    http://www.citroensmaustralia.com/re...s/00SB8221.htm

Name:  IMC_000.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  35.4 KB
    Last edited by Bryan; 03-28-2014 at 11:10 AM.

World Champion
    Patrick Stewart

World Champion
    John Bonham sponsored a Can Am McLaren M8/E. He also collected hot rods

World Champion
    Ringo