Thread: 1986 Nissan Mobil images

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Whats the story with that Mobil coloured VL? With those wheels fitted makes me think its a genuine Brock SS road car, but it has the interior stripped out. Was it an HDT promo vehicle? Interestingly, although HDT did paint one of their VLs (I think it was a converted VK) in that colour scheme, they never raced like that, as Brock and Holden split in early '87.

not sure about the road car, but i understood (but may be wrong) they made and painted a VL race car in that paint sceam
    May not have been used by HDT but went to Perth (farrell)
    Was running at the MCM this year.
    Some one will know more

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Whats the story with that Mobil coloured VL? With those wheels fitted makes me think its a genuine Brock SS road car, but it has the interior stripped out. Was it an HDT promo vehicle? Interestingly, although HDT did paint one of their VLs (I think it was a converted VK) in that colour scheme, they never raced like that, as Brock and Holden split in early '87.
    Im unsure what the car is, it was registered as a Holden "Group A", that doesnt mean that it is one though, just what the office girl at the time could have called it when she had it registered. Interestingly though it has Momo Stars, Sheel seats and the Group A bodykit, all of which would have cost big dollars back in the day. The car was NZ and was on the road until 2003, also it seems of interest to the Police (see carjam link below):

http://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=na1987

As for the paint job, its the 1986 scheme, but Brock used this for his 1987 promo for the VL. The promo pics of the race car looked like it had a VK dash with a VL front so you are right Steve. Brock had built a new VL for the start of 1987 but after the spilt with Holden had to sell it. Allan Moffat had a third person purchase it on his behalf and race it in the WTCC in Europe under Rothmans colours.