Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Speedway Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Another shot of the former Richards/Millen/Dorn etc Monaro. This is pretty late in its career, and its looking fairly old and tatty here. Its a real shame this car didn't survive. I did some investigation work on it some years ago. When Streetstock racing was first introduced to Palmerston North speedway in the early 1990s, a racer wanting to get involved with the class convinced the person who owned the Monaro to sell it to him so he could Streetstock it. By this time everyone in saloon car racing had gone to space-frame cars with plastic bodies on top, so the old Monaro was really outdated.

I actually remember seeing this car race as a Streetstock at one of the earlier events in Palmy when the class was first introduced. At first I was amazed to see that someone had turned a Monaro into a Streetstock, but then noticed it was left hand drive, and the alloy sheet inside the cockpit was all still intact from its saloon racing days. It was painted matt black and basically got beaten to death. At the time I had no idea of its history.

I grew up in Palmy and remember riding my push bike when I was about 14 in the mid 1980s along behind a wreckers yard with a buddy of mine. On top of a stack of cars at the back of the wreckers was another HQ Monaro speedway saloon that was waiting to be crushed. It was painted cream with an orange stripe, and #13 on the door. When I saw it I assumed it was the ex-Dorn car, but it turns out this was another Monaro again. They made for pretty popular speedway saloons.

Attachment 24668

Pictured as raced by Glen Larsen who brought it off Chris Dorn who owned the car which brother Bill drove. Glen sold the car to Trevor Adamson who turned it into a Streetstock running 202 and three speed box. He had to change it back to right hand drive after his first season with it and continued to race it until it got to bent to be effectively repaired. I think he kept the roof with the intention of making a sedan into a Monaro again.

Some very early shots from the Glen Jones (Jigger) collection. Glen did a bloody lot in the time he was with us and it is hard to think 20 years have gone past since he left us, still can see the cheeky grin and the it can be fixed attitude.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Some other action shots of Glen from early days.

A NZ Champion (14) getting the shove and by the look of it he is remembering who, and would no doubt have repayed with credit. Lindsay Willis was/is well known in all forms of motorsport and very handy car builder along with it.

More action from Rotorua and Glen Jones collection. Just a wire fence, then wood rail and then spectators, oh yea.

Who remembers when these appeared on the scene, they changed the whole speedway scene. Glen was at the fore front and they suited his press on style of driving.
    And you just changed suspension settings and off to grass track on Sunday.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Herman2 View Post
    Kevin sold this car to Geoff Williams who raced it for 2 seasons. Geoff also ran a 351 in it. Short wheel base plus big grunt equals sideways turns. I took a photo of the car with Geoff driving it around the pit turn in his first season. You could only see the front of the car with the tyres poking out both sides. Looked quite spookie as the signwriter had painted cats eyes into the headlights! Geoff onsold this car to Mike Laird who extended the centre section to make it a Mustang. Not sure if it was ever finished.
    The Mike Wemyss Tiger ended up as a Streetstock. I last saw this car in the hands of Richard Houstan from Hawkes Bay. Think it was running a 289 then as Streetstocks were only allowed 290 cubes max.
    So did Fillingham have 2 Tigers then? The one sold to Williams and a second one? I ask as I recall them racing together, Williams being the other Tiger in Palmy that I always forget.
    Last edited by seaqnmac27; 04-24-2014 at 03:25 AM.

World Champion
    A few guys built and raced these Sunbeam Tigers, with mixed results. They were light, but had very short wheelbase. I spoke with Kevin Gimblett a few months back about the one he raced. He said he did his wrong, in that he put a big motor (351 from memory) in it for more power, when he should have run a lighter 302 or 289. All that weight over the front axle in a short wheelbase car made it difficult to drive.

One of you guys will know who this is. Possibly Kevin Fillingham?

Attachment 24676
    Paul Hoggard, this ended as a Mik Wemyss' car

World Champion
    I can't even remember when I started going Sean, my father used to take me, but he didn't much care for speedway, so it wasn't as often as I would have liked. But the saloons were my favourites, and all the cars then were built from original road cars, then heavily modified. I was born in '71, so I guess it must have been early 1980s when I first started going. But I think you are right, there were at least two Monaros racing then. After a few years the space-frame cars began appearing. These were mostly Monzas and Toranas.

Here is the Wemyss Tiger. Note its right hand drive.

Attachment 24692
    Steve, the second Monaro I remember would have been Benny Boerbohm.

Nev Brickley drove one as well which may have ended up as that one. My uncle was Brickleys mechanic

World Champion
    Ok so without slandering anyone and with just a suspicion that this is the correct story. If I am right, this photograph is from the 83 National Saloon champs at Riverside in Invercargill and its from the final race of the night. IIRC Blondie was if not the absolute favourite, then one of the favourites for another national title. In race 1 very early in the race he was punted, pushed, describe it as you will into the wall on the city end of the circuit. damaging the car beyond immediate repair and as a result did not compete again until the last race of the night. Allan Jago is the 4th car I do not recognise the other 2 cars.

Name:  greatphotoQuicke-mailview.jpg
Views: 3245
Size:  124.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    A NZ Champion (14) getting the shove and by the look of it he is remembering who, and would no doubt have repayed with credit. Lindsay Willis was/is well known in all forms of motorsport and very handy car builder along with it.
    Rod, as I said earlier, Lindsay is a very clever guy and Brett has benefited hugely from inheriting the skills and knowledge throughout the years.

Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    Ok so without slandering anyone and with just a suspicion that this is the correct story. If I am right, this photograph is from the 83 National Saloon champs at Riverside in Invercargill and its from the final race of the night. IIRC Blondie was if not the absolute favourite, then one of the favourites for another national title. In race 1 very early in the race he was punted, pushed, describe it as you will into the wall on the city end of the circuit. damaging the car beyond immediate repair and as a result did not compete again until the last race of the night. Allan Jago is the 4th car I do not recognise the other 2 cars.

http://macgor.proboards.com/thread/3...?page=2#page=1
    Think the second car is a MGBV8.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
    Dave it is over 30 years ago now, however I do not remember there being an MG at that particular National Champs. I miss Pall Mall!!!

World Champion
    Some colour shots

Name:  Rock & Roller at Stratford Stock Cars 2.jpg
Views: 3136
Size:  157.2 KB

Name:  Rock & Roller at Stratford Stock Cars.jpg
Views: 3254
Size:  108.6 KB

Name:  Speedway Midget.jpg
Views: 3115
Size:  155.8 KB

Name:  Stock Cars at Stratford 2.jpg
Views: 3118
Size:  108.8 KB

Name:  Stock Cars at Stratford 3.jpg
Views: 3103
Size:  142.9 KB

Name:  Stock Cars at Stratford 4.jpg
Views: 3084
Size:  102.4 KB

World Champion
    Name:  Stock Cars at Stratford 5.jpg
Views: 2953
Size:  142.8 KB

Name:  Stock Cars at Stratford 6.jpg
Views: 2996
Size:  129.1 KB

Name:  Stock Cars at Stratford 7.jpg
Views: 2895
Size:  159.7 KB

Name:  Stock Cars at Stratford 8.jpg
Views: 2888
Size:  155.8 KB

Name:  Stock Cars at Stratford.jpg
Views: 2846
Size:  100.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post

The car at the rear of the pack is the Alan Jago VW
    Name:  362Quicke-mailview.jpg
Views: 2979
Size:  53.6 KB
    Still working on the others (its bugging me now lol)

The number 77 'Rover' of Blondie think this car came up north (Kaikohe and raced in Auckland) to Ray Jordan, got photo somewhere, sure he got his 'Rover' off Chamberlain.

The car at the rear of the pack is the Alan Jago VW
    Name:  362Quicke-mailview.jpg
Views: 2979
Size:  53.6 KB
    Still working on the others (its bugging me now lol)
    OK. Rumor and some digging with some mates has the second car being the 6s Rowan Julian MGBGTV8 just not in this color scheme
    Name:  j9lm6e.jpg
Views: 3222
Size:  38.6 KB
    And the third car being Alan (King) George in his 99s Commodore super.
    Happy to be proved wrong though

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    The number 77 'Rover' of Blondie think this car came up north (Kaikohe and raced in Auckland) to Ray Jordan, got photo somewhere, sure he got his 'Rover' off Chamberlain.
    That`s right Rod, and also the MG V8 could be Lance Humphreys from Auckland, but I`m not sure if he ventured that far south. I`ll ask him next time I see him.

Semi-Pro Racer
    I wondered if the 2nd car behind Blondie might be Don Black in his Torana Hatch, IIRC it used to be dark green colour base.