Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Speedway Photos

World Champion
    That name sounds familiar Jac, it is certainly not an MG. If its a Commodore, then it could be either Allan George or Peter Woods. I do not remember Woods Commodore's colour, Jac may know, it was quite new at that stage and Woods won the title. There are very few cars I remember, Chamberlain, Jago and Woods stand out, there were an A9X and SLR 5000, Tony Cardwell should have been there in a Pontiac TransAm but I don't remember him being there, as Dave Sangster in his Monaro was another who was definitely there.

The NZMN article able the champs says.
    Peter Woods Commodore won the title from Doug Smith Monza, Dave Sangster Monaro and Lance Jennings Torana A9X. Woods won race 1 from Evan Jeffs Camaro and Ron Taylor Mustang.
    race 2 Jennings from Woods and Cardwell Pontiac 3rd
    race 3 Jennings, Woods and Sangster.

This shot is from the Woodford Glen Saloon car series it shows Chamberlain and Sangster, Smith and Jennings and Warwick Leech and Tony Cardwell. Sorry about the quality of the shot, but looking at the shapes I wonder if the second car is Lance Jennings' Torana
    Name:  002.jpg
Views: 3531
Size:  154.6 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Commodore of P. Woods was metallic blue/silver/white with red highlights IIRC, his cars all used to be 'vermillion fire' or orange thru the Customline & early Mustang era ( he insisted on 'cheap' dulux paint jobs which I ended up doing as we were always running out of time once he started on the Woodford Glen trips). I soon got sick of that with the signwriter literally running out the door alongside the trailer to finish it up while the paint was still semi wet!, so while he was in the USA one year I decided the Mustang needed a colour change along with a Dulon paint job, first meeting he 'T' boned Wayne Andrews stalled Capri which was surrounded by its own dust cloud @ Beachlands and I had to redo the whole front end the next Monday, all done in half the time the Dulux work was taking previously, must have liked the colour as it endured thru the Mustang, Firebird and Commodore, though the Commodore might have reverted to Red in later years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
    OK. Rumor and some digging with some mates has the second car being the 6s Rowan Julian MGBGTV8 just not in this color scheme
    Attachment 24862
    And the third car being Alan (King) George in his 99s Commodore super.
    Happy to be proved wrong though
    Here is the Rowan Julian MG in two more colour schemesName:  6s00Quicke-mailview.jpg
Views: 3406
Size:  73.3 KBName:  6sQuicke-mailview.jpg
Views: 3189
Size:  65.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    Steve, the second Monaro I remember would have been Benny Boerbohm.

Nev Brickley drove one as well which may have ended up as that one. My uncle was Brickleys mechanic
    Benny Boerboom in the Big Block Chevy Monaro.Name:  2csfo9h.jpg
Views: 3014
Size:  31.0 KBName:  9rnn2c.jpg
Views: 3070
Size:  47.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 225sloper View Post
    Benny Boerboom in the Big Block Chevy Monaro.Name:  2csfo9h.jpg
Views: 3014
Size:  31.0 KBName:  9rnn2c.jpg
Views: 3070
Size:  47.3 KB
    Wow, just awesome!

These are great! Interesting to see speedway taking place in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Herman2 View Post
    Pictured as raced by Glen Larsen who brought it off Chris Dorn who owned the car which brother Bill drove. Glen sold the car to Trevor Adamson who turned it into a Streetstock running 202 and three speed box. He had to change it back to right hand drive after his first season with it and continued to race it until it got to bent to be effectively repaired. I think he kept the roof with the intention of making a sedan into a Monaro again.
    Thanks for that great piece of info. Damn shame it didn't survive.

Another shot of the Boerboom Monaro. Note its a four door. Could well have started life as a standard HQ Kingswood, rather than four door Monaro.

Name:  69p Benny Boerboom 78-79.jpg
Views: 3099
Size:  142.6 KB

Boerboom's 'Monaro' appears to have started it's speedway career as RHD before conversion to LHD based on the photos.

Interesting too, that although a few competitors chose big block motors over the years, none were as competitive as small block engined cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    The number 77 'Rover' of Blondie think this car came up north (Kaikohe and raced in Auckland) to Ray Jordan, got photo somewhere, sure he got his 'Rover' off Chamberlain.
    Here you are at Kaikohe Speedway, easy change of number and way we go. Ray was quick in this car. Remember a couple of faces on bank in background as well. This would be around 91/92 I think. I was running a little Mazda (target) for some in c grade. (which was standard class) yea right.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 05-04-2014 at 10:21 PM.

The Blondie Chamberlain Rover is sitting at Huntly Speedway it is Nissan powered now and they use it for wheel packing,have photos of it,well dig them out soon

In Blondie's day, the Rover was powered by a fairly potent Leyland P76 V8.

I recall at least one version of it having a Harcourt intake manifold (made in Chch by Rover/Olds/Buick alloy V8 guru and former OSCA champion John Harcourt) with 'spacer' plates between the manifold and heads to accommodate the gap created by the taller and hence wider Leyland deck height.

Does anybody else have anybody else have any info on Blondie's motors as used in the Rover?

Here you are at Kaikohe Speedway, easy change of number and way we go. Ray was quick in this car. Remember a couple of faces on bank in background as well. This would be around 91/92 I think. I was running a little Mazda (target) for some in c grade. (standard) yea right.
    No Rod, we were usualy targeted by you, cheers Kev,

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hirst View Post
    No Rod, we were usualy targeted by you, cheers Kev,
    Kevy, you no return serve is always a better shot. Now be careful, I have found some old photos.
    I do remember one end of season prizegiving getting a can of 'Black Flag' flyspray for a prize.

Hey Kevin didn't Ray Jordan put the Nissan in that car.
    And he has a new one now with Nissan.

Kevy, you no return serve is always a better shot. Now be careful, I have found some old photos.
    I do remember one end of season prizegiving getting a can of 'Black Flag' flyspray for a prize.

Hey Kevin didn't Ray Jordan put the Nissan in that car.
    And he has a new one now with Nissan.
    Only remember it with big inch P76, lot of money went into that motor, Ray always started from the back of the grid &just went around the outside of everybody, neat car &well driven.

I reckon you are right about Ray and the Nissan Rod, I will be seeing him tomorrow so will ask.

Waikaraka Park Trophy presentations 1982

I don't really remember much about these photos I was asked to take back in 1982, but it was a final of some sort that they wanted some photographs of, and I was asked at short notice. So I also took a few shots of the racing, but I couldn't stand close enough for effective flash photography without being in a dangerous position.
    I thought some people may be interested and could bring back a few memories.

Name:  Pellow-Saloon-1982.jpg
Views: 2913
Size:  139.7 KB

Name:  A9X-Torana-Saloon-1982.jpg
Views: 3114
Size:  145.6 KB

Name:  Cortina-22-Saloon-1982.jpg
Views: 2960
Size:  128.3 KB

Name:  Jennings-Presentation-1982.jpg
Views: 2702
Size:  149.2 KB

Name:  Jennings-A9X-1982.jpg
Views: 2799
Size:  148.6 KB

Name:  No96-A9X-Saloon-1982.jpg
Views: 2923
Size:  149.8 KB

Waikaraka Park Trophy presentations 1982

Name:  Willoughby-Presentation-198.jpg
Views: 2785
Size:  136.8 KB

Name:  Victory-Lap-Saloons-1982.jpg
Views: 2739
Size:  130.6 KB

Name:  Waikaraka-Saloons-1982.jpg
Views: 2808
Size:  133.1 KB

Name:  Willoughby-Cortina-Saloon-1.jpg
Views: 2958
Size:  138.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    So did Fillingham have 2 Tigers then? The one sold to Williams and a second one? I ask as I recall them racing together, Williams being the other Tiger in Palmy that I always forget.
    No, Kevin built the 80's Mustang when he sold the Tiger. You might be thinking of the Mike Wemys 27B tiger which often raced at Palmerston North. This car mentioned earlier.

The number 77 'Rover' of Blondie think this car came up north (Kaikohe and raced in Auckland) to Ray Jordan, got photo somewhere, sure he got his 'Rover' off Chamberlain.
    Andre Blinkhorne also had an ex Blondie Rover that he raced out of Palmerston North. Not sure if it was this one or not. One of Blondie's Rovers had a wing built into the roof, ie the top panel of the roof was the top surface of an aircraft wing with the inside paneled to make the wing shape. The car was jacked up at the rear to make the 'wing' the right angle to provide downforce. Not sure if these cars were going fast enough to have the desired effect.