Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Old Speedway Photos

Hope that you don't mind this post - it has nothing to do with NZ cars but the engines mentioned are maybe around in a few workshops in NZ.
    Ranger engines were fitted to most of the Grumman Widgeon aircraft that were imported but were replaced by updates as they timed out.
    http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...vyJgZHWKHAjZaQ
    http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...oxfaOBwAfBPCgw
    Last edited by Kwaussie; 06-25-2017 at 10:12 AM.

The Bugley - Riley Bugatti, Bugatti Riley ; that was a Speedway and Track car

Ron Roycroft in the Bugley at Huntly in 1945 - photo from archives - posted on my NSCC thread but belongs here.
    Huntly was a cinder track, and there is still a track there, not sure if in the same place !!.

Name:  NSCC early years Riley Bugatti special U59 Ron Roycroft at Huntly 1945 (800x462).jpg
Views: 2369
Size:  122.8 KB

Had previously posted a picture of Jack Boot sitting in the same car, Jack owned it at one stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    I posted this on the Random Photos thread, but thought I'd also try here, as this appears to be a speedway car.

Gavin Shaw runs a Facebook page in which he has been posting up his own old New Zealand racing photos, plus those of others.

A recent posting was this oddball, which nobody has yet identified. Its a second gen Camaro, and appears to be at Bay Park. The Camaro appears possibly to be a speedway car, converted to run on tarmac, and with equal sized wheels left-right. Its hard to tell, but it appears also to have a windscreen fitted.

Does anyone know who this is, and when this was taken?

Attachment 27850
    Is this it here,I was there at Ocean View Speedway in Wanganui having the USA drivers touring round the country was great as they were match racing all the locals at there own tracks.If i remember correctly he ended up climbing the front straight wall causing major damage and not been able to finish racing that night.Name:  01 Hoppy Hopkinson Camaro 77s Blondie Chamberlin.jpg
Views: 2288
Size:  117.0 KB
    Last edited by 225sloper; 07-28-2017 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 225sloper View Post
    Is this it here,I was there at Ocean View Speedway in Wanganui having the USA drivers touring round the country was great as they were match racing all the locals at there own tracks.If i remember correctly he ended up climbing the front straight wall causing major damage and not been able to finish racing that night.Name:  01 Hoppy Hopkinson Camaro 77s Blondie Chamberlin.jpg
Views: 2288
Size:  117.0 KB
    Wow! Thats awesome. Sure looks to be the same car, and explains why I never saw it. It went back to the US. Thanks for posting this, clears a lot of things up.

The Gene Welsh Camaro from 1973-74

Name:  img254_1.jpg
Views: 2094
Size:  128.4 KB

Or this one.........
    Attached Images Attached Images  

this was 2nd visit and in car more like ours, was Burnt Orange and went.

I'm doing a project on Ian "Jac Jac" Easton about his racing career covering 45+ years of racing speedway, tarmac, rally cars, sidecars, truck racing, jet boats and more which will eventually go on You Tube.

Ian has kindly loaned me 2 big boxes of his personal collection of many old photo's, programs, plans and other memorabilia. Pretty much all of it has never been on the internet.

One of the photo's is this one of the original Gurney Eagle powered Stockcar. Ian still races a Roush powered 66 Mustang muscle car, which is getting a new very special engine built for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Slideways View Post
    I'm doing a project on Ian "Jac Jac" Easton about his racing career covering 45+ years of racing speedway, tarmac, rally cars, sidecars, truck racing, jet boats and more which will eventually go on You Tube.

Ian has kindly loaned me 2 big boxes of his personal collection of many old photo's, programs, plans and other memorabilia. Pretty much all of it has never been on the internet.

One of the photo's is this one of the original Gurney Eagle powered Stockcar. Ian still races a Roush powered 66 Mustang muscle car, which is getting a new very special engine built for it.

This is awesome! His photo collection must be amazing. I hope you'll share more of them?

I sure will share them Steve, I'm doing quite a big project on Ian's racing and have interviewed him at his home on video, which went for about an hour. I'm just sorting out the many items Ian has loaned me, my scanner will be doing overtime lol. I'm also going to be loaned another box of photo's from Ian's collection when he gets back from Knoxville next week.
    It'll take me a while to put it all together and I want the end result to be worthy of such a great contribution to NZ motorsport, but I'll get there.
    One fantastic thing about this site and the World Wide Web is that it save guards the material forever. Ian lost a bit due to some water damage and a while ago some bastards burgled his home and stole his whole collection of video tapes.

Here is a just small portion of what I have got so far. I don't really care how long the final You Tube video goes for - I'm going to include all of it, but it'll take me a wee while.

I am also doing some research for a similar project on my good friend Ian Taylor. Ian has very few photo's so I'd be grateful for anything that hasn't already been posted on here.

Ian's race number used to be 2p. When the governing body, before SNZ came about, decided that he couldn't use #2 he adopted #11 .....because 1 + 1 = 2.

There was a rumor that Ian loaned his number 11 to Steve Kinser to use, but I'm not sure how much truth there is to that one. haha

One of Ian's many Sprintcars.

Last edited by Go Slideways; 08-14-2017 at 05:41 AM.

Wow, that'll be cool. I look forward to seeing it.

I was very fortunate to spend an afternoon with the late Bob Jamieson, Howard Lockwood and Brendon Lucas at Bob's place one day shortly before he passed away. Bob showed me many things in his personal collection and shared some fantastic stories with me. I always intended to return with my video camera but sadly I left it too late, but I did take quite a few photo's.

Bob was instrumental in creating the very first Boss Mustang powered Tank for Bruce Roberston. Bob built a lot of cars. Not many people know this but Bob also built a monocoque tarmac race car that was driven by Sterling Moss.

The picture's below are of Bob holding a picture of the car and a signed one of Sterling Moss in the car.

Bob gave me this photo from his personal collection. It shows Howard Lockwood's car outside Bob's garage in Main Street Palmerston North, where the original Tank was made and many cars were prepared. No booze was allowed in the garage while the guys were working on their cars and everybody had to remain for half an hour after work had finished in case a spark had ignited the wooden floor of the workshop.
    The garage is still there, just around the corner from my home, but it's just a petrol station now, although the original workshop is still behind the modern new frontage.

This picture is of the original Tank at the "Tanks verses the Rest" meeting that was held at Palmy. Sorry I can't remember the date, maybe 2009..

Bruce Robertson racing his original 1p Boss Mustand powered Tank at Palmy Teams Champs, sorry forgot which year.. Dutchy is in 24h, not sure about the 62h purple car.

Cool cars - rest in peace Bob Jamieson.
    Last edited by Go Slideways; 09-02-2017 at 04:45 AM.

Bruce Robertsons brand new Tank at Jamiesons with the controversial front wheel guards.

Dave Evans, at Whanganui I think.

Last edited by Go Slideways; 09-02-2017 at 06:46 AM.

I took this photo in 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Go Slideways View Post
    Bruce Robertsons brand new Tank at Jamiesons with the controversial front wheel guards.

Dave Evans, at Whanganui I think.

Neat photos! I interviewed Bruce Robertson a couple of years ago for a book I wrote about people who race in speedway. His memory is so sharp and he recalled all his old cars. He has also done quite a lot of circuit racing.

Bruce has built up a hugely successful business empire and I found it enjoyable listening to his early days starting out with a small panelbeater workshop in Fielding.

Despite being a millionaire many times over and being the agent for a large number of car and truck brands, Bruce can usually be found in the little office of his Regent Motors dealership, which is his first car dealership established back in the 1970s, and which nowadays sells mostly cheap trade-ins from his other dealerships.

Yes Steve, I am good friends with Bruce and he certainly has a good memory. He's made a huge contribution to speedway over the years and it remains his passion, his nickname is "speed".
    Here he is racing one of the GTHO Falcons he drove, this one might have been owned by Ian Easton at the time. Despite owning a large Holden dealership now, he is still a Ford man. lol
    I've been a bit sidetracked lately, but I'm intending to crank my scanner into life this week.
    Cheers.

From Ian Easton's collection.

Gurney Eagle

With 88r Neville Stanaway

From Ian Easton's personal collection"

Jac Jac: "That is my 1st sprintcar which I purchased off Warren..funny story when he was delivering it he managed to put the car and trailer in the drain at the end of my drive. (Remember that Warren)Pete that is the same car that I put the polished alloy panels on, which you have a photo of.."

The Gurney Eagle - from Ian Easton's personal collection - I know the reason why it's number 11, with Jac there's always a reason, or story, to explain everything. lol

Jac Jac: "This is the car when it was finally finished. It has now got the quick change diff, knock on front wheels and drum catcher."

Darian Reridder is restoring the car.

"

The famous all alloy body Gurney Eagle behind a nice Mercedes Benz........ .....I like Mercs, good strong cars, fortunately.

Last edited by Go Slideways; 10-07-2017 at 01:10 AM.

One of, if not the, most iconic Stockcars of all time - the brand new Gurney Eagle.

Harrisville Speedway.

Not sure if this was the old "Sunday News" car or not, bit its exceptionally cool anyway.

Last edited by Go Slideways; 10-07-2017 at 01:11 AM.