Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Speedway Photos

World Champion
    Here you go Steve, one of those Monzas. Gary McKelvie

Name:  McKelvie - Chev Monza.jpg
Views: 2647
Size:  141.2 KB

The Mustang 66s in post #99 is Colin Peirce beside him in the Volkswagon is Alan Jago they were regular visitors to Wanganui Ocean Veiw Speedway on a Sunday afternoon.

The stockcar number 91 in post #83 is Harold Bulldozer Kells this car had bulldozer steering two sticks no steering wheel,must of been really differcult

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    1967/68 Mustang fastback. One of you guys will know who this is? Nice looking car. Looks like its from Stratford. Skinny Colson usually raced as #66, but I don't know if he ever raced a Mustang?

Attachment 24693
    WOW great picture of the Mustang Steve, it has the Shelby bonnet and side scoops and i can tell its a 68 so i'd say that possibly, just possibly this is the Ex Trevor Gray Shelby mustang race car that he built out of a genuine 68 Shelby GT500 that was written off and sold as a wreck around 69/70 or 71? Brett Wilson ended up with the twin 4 barrel 428 cobra jet engine and trans in his drag race T-bucket!! As kid i watch this car get built here in Tauranga and Dick Davidson motors just up the road from the parents house fitted the Ex Urquhart Miss Coventry 427 Cammer engine, i always remembered the garage pit in DD motors was full of beer cans, thought that was pretty cool!! said one day im gunna get me one of those fang-dangled Mustang as i pedaled of on my chopper bicycle, LOL

Dale M

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
    WOW great picture of the Mustang Steve, it has the Shelby bonnet and side scoops and i can tell its a 68 so i'd say that possibly, just possibly this is the Ex Trevor Gray Shelby mustang race car that he built out of a genuine 68 Shelby GT500 that was written off and sold as a wreck around 69/70 or 71? Brett Wilson ended up with the twin 4 barrel 428 cobra jet engine and trans in his drag race T-bucket!! As kid i watch this car get built here in Tauranga and Dick Davidson motors just up the road from the parents house fitted the Ex Urquhart Miss Coventry 427 Cammer engine, i always remembered the garage pit in DD motors was full of beer cans, thought that was pretty cool!! said one day im gunna get me one of those fang-dangled Mustang as i pedaled of on my chopper bicycle, LOL

Dale M

Imagine now Dale, it would have been rebuilt most probably, they are so rear. Its a pretty car.

Steve, the gentleman that built the beautiful space frame Commodore Sports Sedan that you loved, built the first frame saloon for speedway a Torana I believe. He was very involved in speedway and won NZ Stock car champs. One night he won Championship, his wife won the ladies, and son (who drove the Sport Sedan Commodore and now F5000) won the Junior.

Got some photos to load from the Glen Jones collection.

This is the Kevin Fillingham Sunbeam Tiger.Name:  KevinFillinghamTiger61pQuicke-mailv.jpg
Views: 2417
Size:  47.8 KB

Harold Bulldozer Kells car.Name:  14-2-131.jpg
Views: 2273
Size:  109.5 KB

The Harold Kells car is still arround,these photos taken just a few years ago.Name:  mt9l41.jpg
Views: 2089
Size:  38.7 KBName:  qytstx.jpg
Views: 2066
Size:  38.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Steve, the gentleman that built the beautiful space frame Commodore Sports Sedan that you loved, built the first frame saloon for speedway a Torana I believe. He was very involved in speedway and won NZ Stock car champs. One night he won Championship, his wife won the ladies, and son (who drove the Sport Sedan Commodore and now F5000) won the Junior.

Got some photos to load from the Glen Jones collection.
    Rod, that Mr Willis is a very clever man, was a very good peddler in his day, and his son has carried on the genes.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Imagine now Dale, it would have been rebuilt most probably, they are so rear. Its a pretty car.
    Quite a story went with this Shelby Rod, the accident was apparently new years eve 69/70 or 71 on Chapel rd, East Tamaki , which would have been out in the country then, the road drops away and comes back up with a old church of to one side, the story goes they sailed the Shelby straight off at high speed killing both driver and passenger, remember this would have been a near 3 year old newish hotrod back then and expensive!! Trevor Gray never like to race it on a new years events due to superstition i believe!! others may have better info than me!! Strangely enough about 10 years ago parts like the tail lights, trim, etc came up in a garage sale said to be from this Shelby, would luv to know its VIN number but long gone on doubt.

Dale M

I had an email from Blondie Chamberlain yesterday. He tells me that he ran a Standard 10 with Vanguard/Fergie motor (his words) at Stratford for 3 years, it may well be the one appearing in a couple of the earlier photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    I had an email from Blondie Chamberlain yesterday. He tells me that he ran a Standard 10 with Vanguard/Fergie motor (his words) at Stratford for 3 years, it may well be the one appearing in a couple of the earlier photos.
    Oldfart, there`s another guy who in later years showed more fancied and funded competitors the way around a speedway track. Whether in the Torana, Rover or the Corvette, Blondie was good to watch....

Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    Oldfart, there`s another guy who in later years showed more fancied and funded competitors the way around a speedway track. Whether in the Torana, Rover or the Corvette, Blondie was good to watch....
    You are not wrong. He was always good to watch whatever he was in.

Quite a story went with this Shelby Rod, the accident was apparently new years eve 69/70 or 71 on Chapel rd, East Tamaki , which would have been out in the country then, the road drops away and comes back up with a old church of to one side, the story goes they sailed the Shelby straight off at high speed killing both driver and passenger, remember this would have been a near 3 year old newish hotrod back then and expensive!! Trevor Gray never like to race it on a new years events due to superstition i believe!! others may have better info than me!! Strangely enough about 10 years ago parts like the tail lights, trim, etc came up in a garage sale said to be from this Shelby, would luv to know its VIN number but long gone on doubt.

Dale M
    The dip in the road, the bridge , the stream and the old church are all still there. Didn’t here of the Shelby crash , but a group of my friends in a ’67 Barracuda ended up in the same spot late one night in the mid ‘70’s. One died and the others crawled out in various states of repair. Barracuda was a write off. R.I.P. Murray – Not forgotten.

Blondie Chamberlins Standard 10 was powered by Massey Ferguson only it was supercharged,a very quick car,won 40 races straight at Wanganui Ocean Veiw Speedway

Blondies Standard 10 battling with Peter Sloman in his SLR5000 Torana.Name:  saloona.jpg
Views: 2507
Size:  44.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    Steve I think you will find that this his the Vedette, not a Tiger.
    Thanks Sean, yes you are right. It looks a lot smaller than it is in the picture.

Dale M
    Good info Dale, wow that is cool! I'd heard about the Shelby Mustang that was put on the speedway, but didn't realise this was the one.

Quote Originally Posted by 225sloper View Post
    Blondies Standard 10 battling with Peter Sloman in his SLR5000 Torana.Name:  saloona.jpg
Views: 2507
Size:  44.6 KB
    I think the Torana in the picture might be a LC or LJ six cylinder? Did Peter Sloman run one of these prior to the LH SLR5000?

Regarding Blondie's Standard Ten, the engine was the 2.1 litre 4 cylinder Standard Vanguard engine that was also used in the Ferguson TE20 tractor. With a supercharger, power output was considerably more than the original 948cc 4 cylinder as factory fitted to the Ten. Looking at the photo, I think Blondie is also using a beam front axle 'sprintcar style'. Trevor Gray used to do the same with his early Vauxhall sedan.

Speedway Saloon rules of the day (and until quite recently) required engines to be of the same number of cylinders and from the same manufacturer as the body, although a fairly wide interpretation of 'manufacturer' was applied by competitors and allowed by the then Speedway Control Board.

For example General Motors was considered as one manufacturer and that's why Chev engines were seen in V8 bodies by the likes of Pontiac, Oldsmobile and Holden to which Chev V8's were never fitted. But more than a few competitors pushed the barrier including Mike Weymss' Simca Vedette which ran a Ford 302W. How a French car that had a French built 2.3 litre V8, based on, but with few parts interchangable with the old Ford V8 60 motor, and whose manufacturer 'family' wise was actually part of the Chrysler group, could legally under the then rules run a Ford small block certainly puzzled a few. Perhaps the later change of body make to the Sunbeam Tiger, which was actually produced with a Ford 260W was a follow on from this?