Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Speedway Photos

Quote Originally Posted by 225sloper View Post
    Blondies Standard 10 battling with Peter Sloman in his SLR5000 Torana.Attachment 24703
    I think the Torana in the picture might be a LC or LJ six cylinder? Did Peter Sloman run one of these prior to the LH SLR5000?

Regarding Blondie's Standard Ten, the engine was the 2.1 litre 4 cylinder Standard Vanguard engine that was also used in the Ferguson TE20 tractor. With a supercharger, power output was considerably more than the original 948cc 4 cylinder as factory fitted to the Ten. Looking at the photo, I think Blondie is also using a beam front axle 'sprintcar style'. Trevor Gray used to do the same with his early Vauxhall sedan.

Speedway Saloon rules of the day (and until quite recently) required engines to be of the same number of cylinders and from the same manufacturer as the body, although a fairly wide interpretation of 'manufacturer' was applied by competitors and allowed by the then Speedway Control Board.

For example General Motors was considered as one manufacturer and that's why Chev engines were seen in V8 bodies by the likes of Pontiac, Oldsmobile and Holden to which Chev V8's were never fitted. But more than a few competitors pushed the barrier including Mike Weymss' Simca Vedette which ran a Ford 302W. How a French car that had a French built 2.3 litre V8, based on, but with few parts interchangable with the old Ford V8 60 motor, and whose manufacturer 'family' wise was actually part of the Chrysler group, could legally under the then rules run a Ford small block certainly puzzled a few. Perhaps the later change of body make to the Sunbeam Tiger, which was actually produced with a Ford 260W was a follow on from this?

Not quite right Bigbanger, as the Chrysler acquisition of Simca was well after the period when Vedettes were made with what was essentially a Ford. (Who owned Sunbeam?? Part of the same group as Simca actually) Yes I know they had a Ford 260.

Peter Sloman's Torana started out as this wreck.Name:  24w8qp5.jpg
Views: 3023
Size:  33.5 KB

And was then built into this car.Name:  qzhezo.jpg
Views: 3115
Size:  19.7 KB

His first Saloon was a Chev Nova,the Torana came after the Nova.Name:  o8dsf8.jpg
Views: 2974
Size:  18.5 KBName:  saloonb.jpg
Views: 3008
Size:  63.5 KB

After the Torana came the Monza and then a few Corvettes.Name:  28i4utx.jpg
Views: 3027
Size:  28.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Not quite right Bigbanger, as the Chrysler acquisition of Simca was well after the period when Vedettes were made with what was essentially a Ford. (Who owned Sunbeam?? Part of the same group as Simca actually) Yes I know they had a Ford 260.
    Good point Oldfart, the Vedette seems to be a second generation body manufactured between 1958-63 and it was 1970 before Chrysler bought Simca. Of course their were other interesting interpretations of engine eligibility such as V8's in Ford Capri's on the basis of the Basil green built Perana in South Africa producing that model, Mustang III's with inline 6 cylinder engines when only produced with V6 as well as in line 4 and V8 engines, and the wide interpretation of BMC, BLMC and Leyland Australia being the 'same' manufacturer.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    1967/68 Mustang fastback. One of you guys will know who this is? Nice looking car. Looks like its from Stratford. Skinny Colson usually raced as #66, but I don't know if he ever raced a Mustang?

Attachment 24693
    From the Macgors Board forum;
    "66S Barry Rickard and the late Colin Pierce, (dad to Craig, Muzz and Bunter),
    also in the picture a bearded Alan Jago along side his first VW, that later went to Brian Jenkins of Nelson, next to that is Neil Cowley's A9X Torana, Folklore has it that the Mustang once belonged to the late Trevor Morris'"

Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
    From the Macgors Board forum;
    "66S Barry Rickard and the late Colin Pierce, (dad to Craig, Muzz and Bunter),
    also in the picture a bearded Alan Jago along side his first VW, that later went to Brian Jenkins of Nelson, next to that is Neil Cowley's A9X Torana, Folklore has it that the Mustang once belonged to the late Trevor Morris'"
    If it was the Mustang that Trevor Morris was killed in, that accident happened on Neilson Street about 500 metres east of Waikaraka Park.

Journeyman Racer
    I recall that accident so well even though I was 11 years old.
    He died Dec 22nd 1977 and I recall seeing the mustang on tv being towed away from the scene.
    I work in Onehunga and always knew it happened on Neilson St but always wondered where. Am I correct at remembering he hit a power pole ?
    I notice that his old radiator repair business in Onehunga has only just stopped using the name "Trevor Morris" radiator repairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    If it was the Mustang that Trevor Morris was killed in, that accident happened on Neilson Street about 500 metres east of Waikaraka Park.

Yes Jeff, it happened on the bend heading down from Church Street on the left hand side where the entrance to the Railfreight yard now is. Yes, Mustang versus power pole. Another real talented guy gone before his time.....
    Last edited by fullnoise68; 04-11-2014 at 07:12 PM.

Journeyman Racer
    Thanks for that fullnoise , I had always wondered but never knew who to ask. Does anyone have a newspaper clipping etc ? As full on speedway fans , Trevor Morris was a big deal.
    There is some footage of him at Western Springs in '76 on this old film of mine.
    To those who don't know , thats him in the first scene with the beard and the Chevy 2 powered #58

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h3FQplQ1vk

Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    Yes Jeff, it happened on the bend heading down from Church Street on the left hand side where the entrance to the Railfreight yard now is. Yes, Mustang versus power pole. Another real talented guy gone before his time.....

Brilliant stuff Jeff, thanks.

The Mustang Trevor Morris and his young apprentice died in was a yellow Mach1 and he had only just bought off Warren Priest who had a panel shop in Barry's Point Rd and also ran a very quick mk3 Cortina with a turbo Falcon 6 at Waikaraka and other tracks that John Butler (from Manon & Butler motors fame) looked after and developed. John was also pretty smart with suspension set up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Cool looking Charger here, of Mike Whale.

Name:  7MikeWhaleStandarde-mailview[1].jpg
Views: 2839
Size:  126.8 KB

Ron Kendall in the Mustang.

Name:  011os[1].jpg
Views: 2888
Size:  152.5 KB

Looks like possibly the same Mustang, but with a different owner?

Name:  010gb[1].jpg
Views: 2784
Size:  162.3 KB

Same car Steve, Seagers- he was always there helping.- on the side means it could be Byron Shreeve.
    Terry Costello with his yellow HK-Mission Bay Motors in background.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 04-15-2014 at 05:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Looks like possibly the same Mustang, but with a different owner?

Name:  010gb[1].jpg
Views: 2784
Size:  162.3 KB
    Luv the big ol front bumper! maybe thats what i need when the Aussies come back over next year, LOL

Dale M

Quote Originally Posted by 225sloper View Post
    This is the Kevin Fillingham Sunbeam Tiger.Attachment 24699
    Kevin sold this car to Geoff Williams who raced it for 2 seasons. Geoff also ran a 351 in it. Short wheel base plus big grunt equals sideways turns. I took a photo of the car with Geoff driving it around the pit turn in his first season. You could only see the front of the car with the tyres poking out both sides. Looked quite spookie as the signwriter had painted cats eyes into the headlights! Geoff onsold this car to Mike Laird who extended the centre section to make it a Mustang. Not sure if it was ever finished.
    The Mike Wemyss Tiger ended up as a Streetstock. I last saw this car in the hands of Richard Houstan from Hawkes Bay. Think it was running a 289 then as Streetstocks were only allowed 290 cubes max.