Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Speedway Photos

World Champion

World Champion

I stumbled upon this photo on facebook today of the McConnachie brothers Mustang. This is the only colour photo I've ever seen of this car.

This car must have looked like a spaceship compared to the old Zephyrs and early Holdens that were common in the Salon Car ranks at the time.

Note the cars parked on the side of the road including the Mustang.

Name:  17553967_1366733066702971_4838266888155844394_n.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  76.7 KB

That is my ultimate saloon car,,,looks like it could join the HMC field .
    And yes it looked like it was from another world compared to the others.
    Similar when the XB Coupe appeared in pure black a bit later.
    Its still out there, was on trademe about 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    I stumbled upon this photo on facebook today of the McConnachie brothers Mustang. This is the only colour photo I've ever seen of this car.

This car must have looked like a spaceship compared to the old Zephyrs and early Holdens that were common in the Salon Car ranks at the time.

Note the cars parked on the side of the road including the Mustang.

Name:  17553967_1366733066702971_4838266888155844394_n.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  76.7 KB
    Yellow 69 Boss 302 Steve.............wonder were that is? Jim Richards Sidchrome started life as a yellow 69 Boss 302, couldn't have been many back then. Anyone have a timeline of this photo?

Dale M

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    That is my ultimate saloon car,,,looks like it could join the HMC field .
    And yes it looked like it was from another world compared to the others.
    Similar when the XB Coupe appeared in pure black a bit later.
    Its still out there, was on trademe about 10 years ago.
    I so much remember this car at Forest Lake, the talk of Speedway when it turned up. As a street car was worth more than a decent house back then let alone turning one into a speedway car(usually from a wreck/insurance job).........Rod Grimwood.........whats the story on this one mate. Dale M

10 years ago on TM John.....WOW...........were is it now? if still alive a sorry state i bet after all what could you use it for?

Dale, my good friend bought a yellow 69 Boss 302 that was in bits and needed the motor etc reinstalled. I think he bought it from Auckland. This would be 1991/2. I will have a chat to him in the morning about it. Sold it within 12 month of buying it after fixing it up.
    He will have the details of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
    Yellow 69 Boss 302 Steve.............wonder were that is? Jim Richards Sidchrome started life as a yellow 69 Boss 302, couldn't have been many back then. Anyone have a timeline of this photo?

Dale M
    Thats good spotting Dale and yes you are right, the Sidchrome was a yellow Boss. I'm pretty sure the Sidchrome was purchased in 1972 before being converted into a race car.

Ivan Jujnovich, that well known Hot Rodder and panelbeater from out West could answer your questions as his name is on the car.
    The pic is not taken from McConnachie family home which was in Sanft Ave,Mt Roskill

Hi All. I have been given about 600 or so old mags to get rid of, Autocar..Wheels..Motor Sport, Hot Rod, Speedsport etc. Any one want them? Im in Kohimarama Auckland. Sorry this probabley not the post for this. Chrs John Hatton

Hi all, first post here.. I photographed an old speedway program from Palmy which has lots of cool pictures in it.

I like the Sunbeam Tigers, I think thats Blondie in the background.

upload image online

Graeme Stretch racing his Ford V8 at Palmy, and a couple of photo's I took on 6th October 2009 shortly after the same car was rescued. I think it was found in a paddock in Pahiatua. The last time I saw this pretty cool car was in Jacob Bakers workshop in Palmy, Jacob still owns the car and it is being restored by Barr Motorsport . Graeme Stretch was the very first official 1NZ Stockcar Champion, not sure if it was in this car, but I'd love to know more about this car. I love the open exhaust pipes. I once visited a house down a long drive in Maxwells Line in Palmy that Graeme made several of his cars at, and there was a clean up going on. Unfortunately my mate and I were a week late and didn't have the chance to save some historic items. I think Pervy from Palmy might have got a couple of cars. We did buy a few interesting things including a Lincoln Zephyr V12 engine and about 100 hubcaps..

PS: I would absolutely love to see any pictures of Ian Taylor 21w or Ian "Jac Jac" Eston.

image host

image url upload

image hosting 10mb limit

I'm doing a project on Ian Taylor and Ian Easton and would love to see photo's or hear stories of these two.

Ian had a pretty cool Sprintcar, I admired the old school open faced helmet, no gloves, rolled up sleeves, open exhaust headers and I think dragster slicks on the rear attitude. I think he's still wearing his watch... no SNZ or Osh in those days.

adult photo sharing

host image online
    Last edited by Go Slideways; 06-01-2017 at 05:42 AM.

A yarn I had with Charlie Bernsten at his home shortly before his unexpected passing away.

You'll need to turn your volume right up.

Hope you enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Slideways View Post
    Hi all, first post here.. I photographed an old speedway program from Palmy which has lots of cool pictures in it.

I like the Sunbeam Tigers, I think thats Blondie in the background.

upload image online
    Awesome! There were a few of these Sunbeam Tiger speedway saloons being raced in the '70s. I assume they started out as Alpines? There is even one currently being raced as a Streetstock, which was one of the old original saloons rediscovered.

Graeme Stretch racing his Ford V8 at Palmy, and a couple of photo's I took on 6th October 2009 shortly after the same car was rescued. I think it was found in a paddock in Pahiatua. The last time I saw this pretty cool car was in Jacob Bakers workshop in Palmy, Jacob still owns the car and it is being restored by Barr Motorsport . Graeme Stretch was the very first official 1NZ Stockcar Champion, not sure if it was in this car, but I'd love to know more about this car. I love the open exhaust pipes. I once visited a house down a long drive in Maxwells Line in Palmy that Graeme made several of his cars at, and there was a clean up going on. Unfortunately my mate and I were a week late and didn't have the chance to save some historic items. I think Pervy from Palmy might have got a couple of cars. We did buy a few interesting things including a Lincoln Zephyr V12 engine and about 100 hubcaps..

PS: I would absolutely love to see any pictures of Ian Taylor 21w or Ian "Jac Jac" Eston.

image host

image url upload

image hosting 10mb limit

I'm doing a project on Ian Taylor and Ian Easton and would love to see photo's or hear stories of these two.

Ian had a pretty cool Sprintcar, I admired the old school open faced helmet, no gloves, rolled up sleeves, open exhaust headers and I think dragster slicks on the rear attitude. I think he's still wearing his watch... no SNZ or Osh in those days.

adult photo sharing

host image online
    The body on the Graeme Stretch stockcar is a 1939/40 Willys coupe. Back when this car was being built in the 1960s, Willys coupe bodies were cheap. These days, they're incredibly desirable, at least as much so as 1932 Ford 3 window coupe bodies. The body alone in good condition would fetch US$20,000. Of course, its no longer in good condition, but still a fascinating historical piece.

Graeme Stretch moved to Tauranga probably late 70's early 80's, he lived two streets over from my parents house, remember him visiting a few times back them, I know he had a son whom I think may still live in Tauranga, not sure? I remember him saying he was the first NZ stock Car Champion. Dale M

image host

image url upload

image hosting 10mb limit

adult photo sharing

host image online

I have a ton of old Speedway pics I took as kid, mostly Bay Park, Rotorua and the old Tokoroa tracks.......here's one I took of Bruce in the Rotorua pits in the early 70's. Dale M
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Kiwiboss; 06-02-2017 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
    Graeme Stretch moved to Tauranga probably late 70's early 80's, he lived two streets over from my parents house, remember him visiting a few times back them, I know he had a son whom I think may still live in Tauranga, not sure? I remember him saying he was the first NZ stock Car Champion. Dale M
    New Zealand Champion in 1966.

Name:  img143_1.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  175.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Awesome! There were a few of these Sunbeam Tiger speedway saloons being raced in the '70s. I assume they started out as Alpines? There is even one currently being raced as a Streetstock, which was one of the old original saloons rediscovered.
    Here's some more I found..

Kevin Johnson - Gisborne (not sure what year)

image hosting services

Ex - Mike Whems car

free photo upload

I took the next 3 photo's at this years Manawatu Streetsock Champs

20mb image hosting

photo hosting

pictures upload