Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Speedway Photos

Name:  Tirau SS.jpg
Views: 3510
Size:  31.1 KB The boys with the stock cars A framed from Auckland to P/North & return.Must be early 1960s.
    as it looks like a TK Bedford unloading fuel at the servo.

Great colour photo of Ford and Monaro, they were a great combo, see quick Humber 80 of Ray Chatfield in back ground and Ray Wrights XU1. Chatfields Humber was a very clever car and he was a damn good mechanic/fabricator. Worked for the Scott's and looked after Ash's Victor and Johns Firebird along with his car in between keeping the trucks going. Nice guy's.

Quote Originally Posted by Impala 65 SS View Post
    Name:  Tirau SS.jpg
Views: 3510
Size:  31.1 KB The boys with the stock cars A framed from Auckland to P/North & return.Must be early 1960s.
    as it looks like a TK Bedford unloading fuel at the servo.
    Awesome pics. This one is outstanding! I'd love to get my hands on that nice '37 Ford coupe.

Hopefully someone can help me with these two pics. Couple of neat looking Chevelles from the US, for Donny Graham and Jim Hopkinson. Are these two different cars racing at the same time, or the same car visiting on two different occasions with two different drivers?

Thanks to Steve E for the pics.

Name:  2second_Page_16.jpg
Views: 2481
Size:  179.2 KB

Name:  2second_Page_04.jpg
Views: 2454
Size:  152.9 KB

Maybe this should also go in the 'Old Road And Race Cars Ads' thread? This is one of the scans Steve E sent me from various old speedway race programmes. Makes for interesting reading. Check out the price for the Mercury Montcalm. You could have bought a house for that sort of money in 1975. And I reckon a nice '73 Montcalm would struggle to make 12.5K in todays money! So probably not a great investment for whoever stumped up the cash.

Name:  2second_Page_29.jpg
Views: 2390
Size:  160.7 KB

Does any one know who raced this car has Invercagill on it,is it the Peter Woods car as he was from Gore?Name:  Not sure who Mustang Saloon.jpg
Views: 2582
Size:  107.3 KB

[QUOTE=Steve Holmes;41408]Hopefully someone can help me with these two pics. Couple of neat looking Chevelles from the US, for Donny Graham and Jim Hopkinson. Are these two different cars racing at the same time, or the same car visiting on two different occasions with two different drivers?

They were both here racing at the same time Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by 225sloper View Post
    Does any one know who raced this car has Invercagill on it,is it the Peter Woods car as he was from Gore?Name:  Not sure who Mustang Saloon.jpg
    Email the photo to Tony Cardwell at Cardwell Race Supplies, he`ll probably know.

World Champion
    Jac Mac will know for certain as he worked with Woods, but I am certain that reads Peter Woods under the window front left. I saw a pic of Woods' Mustang in a MotorAction just the other day will look and confirm

Cars were here at the same time remember it well one of the cars had a cartoon of a child with a meat cleaver with it finger cut off car was called the butcher. I was in the pits one of the American driver was try to pull a local drivers pant down "to see how hairy these kiwis are"

[QUOTE=fullnoise68;41415]
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Hopefully someone can help me with these two pics. Couple of neat looking Chevelles from the US, for Donny Graham and Jim Hopkinson. Are these two different cars racing at the same time, or the same car visiting on two different occasions with two different drivers?

They were both here racing at the same time Steve.
    Thanks Steve

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    Email the photo to Tony Cardwell at Cardwell Race Supplies, he`ll probably know.
    Merv Nelson Invercargill, chassis built by Don Black, think AB might have been part of the build as well , later went to Ron Omelvena, cant remember where from there..... not Peter Woods Car.

Quote Originally Posted by Racefan View Post
    Cars were here at the same time remember it well one of the cars had a cartoon of a child with a meat cleaver with it finger cut off car was called the butcher. I was in the pits one of the American driver was try to pull a local drivers pant down "to see how hairy these kiwis are"
    Ha ha, cool story!

Quote Originally Posted by 225sloper View Post
    Yes, Peter Woods, and also went through several others drivers too. Ended up with the Boultons. They raced it like this for a while, then cut the body off and replaced it with a (then) modern '90s Mustang body. The original body they then buried in one of their farm paddocks.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    Merv Nelson Invercargill, chassis built by Don Black, think AB might have been part of the build as well , later went to Ron Omelvena, cant remember where from there..... not Peter Woods Car.
    Thanks Jac, I actually looked at the sponsors and thought that Woods would not have had Invercargill sponsors when he was from Gore. This would be somewhere around 79-80? Didn't Woods win his second title in a Firebird? Just looked at picture from Feb 80 and I can't be certain but it looks like it says Pontiac on the front right.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    Thanks Jac, I actually looked at the sponsors and thought that Woods would not have had Invercargill sponsors when he was from Gore. This would be somewhere around 79-80? Didn't Woods win his second title in a Firebird? Just looked at picture from Feb 80 and I can't be certain but it looks like it says Pontiac on the front right.
    Yes, memory kicked in, from Omelvena it went to Dave Baird in Dunedin, think it also got rebodied by him with 90's Mustang panels, then raffled and won by Graeme Young from Pukerau ( north of Gore ), he raced it for a few seasons before getting into one of Woods Commodore/Corvette cars IIRC.
    Stretching my memory in regards to dates now, but I think Woods won one NZ champ in the mustang, then lost at the next year in the Mustang again. Mustang was sold first to Ron Winton ? Dunedin. Firebird was built on a USA chassis kit, all new stuff went into the motor, Firebird just to be different, amusing story [now] about the Monday after that cars first appearance, but my slow typing speed would time out if I tried to post it!

World Champion
    I found the article about Woods winning the 79/80 SI Saloon title when I have a moment I will type it out as it does not scan well. It is very interested due to the conversation elsewhere regarding NASCAR engines.

Peter Woods won the NZ champs driving the Mustang at Ocean View Speedway in Wanganui,i remember this as i was there and it was the only time i ever saw the Mustang.