Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Speedway Photos

Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    That weapon of Dayne Plummer's used to sound superb !

Is 1M Don Peck ? I used to work with him on the NZR locos.
    Yes GD66, 1M is Don Peck and thats how my dad got started in Stock Cars through Don Peck and Ray Morrow!! Great years for sure!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Here is Ian Taylor with his Camaro. Note it appears to be right hand drive. I think this was built from a written off road car that Rod Coppins had previously competed with in a production car endurance race at Bay Park. Steve Elliott may be able to confirm this?

Attachment 24565
    That's right Steve, the then Auckland based McConnachie Bros built the car using the damaged bodyshell of Rods Glenvale Camaro. The Pontiac Firebird that John Scott ran, was originally built by our next door neighbour, the late Eddie Sutherland, when I was a youngster, for American Ronny McDowell to come out and race. It was also driven by Ron Kendall, as it was owned at that time by Cowan Black Promotions.

Semi-Pro Racer
    I remember Ian Easton more for his polished alloy 32 Ford Stockcar powered by a Gurney Eagle motor. Man that thing was quick. Caught my mate at Waikaraka half way down the front straight and bent the left rear bumper corner around enough to pop the wheel guard and probably what saved him from a more serious injury, broke the seat away from the floor causing him to fall backwards with the impact before sending him straight through the concrete wall on Cemetery Bend. Gary was lucky to get out of it with bruised ribs, sprained ankle and severely bruised spine in the lower back area. Never forget that night or the hours required to rebuild the heap of crap that car was. lol Good memories though.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Name:  IanEaston11p8384Quicke-mailview.jpg
Views: 3498
Size:  45.7 KB
    The Ian Easton car I remember . Photo posted by Pallmall on the Macgor Proboard Forum.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Ray Wright and his Wedge Outlaw Saloon on the Meremere highbanks.

Assd saloons at Meremere
    Last edited by TonyG; 04-01-2014 at 01:06 PM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Richard Bennett Falcon Coupe, Waikaraka Park.

Rowan Geck Falcon and Lance Jennings Torana at Waikaraka Park

Lance Humphries MG V8 Waikaraka Park

Semi-Pro Racer
    The very first photo I ever took with my xmas present at the time at Waikaraka Park. Was about 10 yrs old and the camera was an old Plastic Diana. No idea who the drivers are now.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
    The very first photo I ever took with my xmas present at the time at Waikaraka Park. Was about 10 yrs old and the camera was an old Plastic Diana. No idea who the drivers are now.
    #75 is Peter Howarth

#75 is Peter Howarth

Dave- he ran 75 on his EH Holden in early 70s, was this his regular/favourite number?

Found these in my scrap book also, very faded so hope it can be read. Dale M
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    That's right Steve, the then Auckland based McConnachie Bros built the car using the damaged bodyshell of Rods Glenvale Camaro. The Pontiac Firebird that John Scott ran, was originally built by our next door neighbour, the late Eddie Sutherland, when I was a youngster, for American Ronny McDowell to come out and race. It was also driven by Ron Kendall, as it was owned at that time by Cowan Black Promotions.
    Thanks Steve, great info. Just out of interest, do you know where the Firebird was sourced from that McDowell raced? Firebirds would have been few and far between back then in NZ, and much too expensive to turn into a speedway car. Was it another write-off road car?

Richard Bennett Falcon Coupe, Waikaraka Park.

Rowan Geck Falcon and Lance Jennings Torana at Waikaraka Park

Lance Humphries MG V8 Waikaraka Park
    I'm loving these pics Tony! Rare to see a Falcon hardtop speedway saloon.

Dale, did you ever drive this car, or was this before your time?

This is Steve Millen, driving the same HQ Monaro posted earlier, driven by Jim Richards. This would have been after JR moved to Australia in 1975. Note its been updated with HJ nose. Great looking car!

Name:  15a.jpg
Views: 3701
Size:  76.7 KB

World Champion
    This is Steve Millen, driving the same HQ Monaro posted earlier, driven by Jim Richards. This would have been after JR moved to Australia in 1975. Note its been updated with HJ nose. Great looking car!

Name:  15a.jpg
Views: 3701
Size:  76.7 KB

Which is also the Bill Dorn car you posted first.

Yep, thats right Sean, it became the Bill Dorn car, painted up in his red/white/blue stars and stripes colour scheme that was used on all his cars. He raced it out of Palmerston North.

Name:  Dorn.jpg
Views: 3301
Size:  93.6 KB

Thanks Steve, great info. Just out of interest, do you know where the Firebird was sourced from that McDowell raced? Firebirds would have been few and far between back then in NZ, and much too expensive to turn into a speedway car. Was it another write-off road car?
    I can check with Warren Black, but I`m pretty sure it was built from a semi burnt out insurance write off. Like you say they were all still relatively new - and valuable - cars at that time........

This is the same Monaro again. Ian Easton also had a turn racing this car. I think though he may have raced it before Dorn bought it.

Name:  4g6s5s[1].jpg
Views: 3323
Size:  81.2 KB

Another shot during the Dorn ownership.

Name:  2eyyl5f[1].jpg
Views: 3285
Size:  92.8 KB