Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Speedway Photos

I`ve got probably 200 old programmes and a bunch of photos from when Waikarakara Park opened in `69? through to the late `70s but I wouldn`t have a clue how to put them on here. Andre Ruiterman was the original track photographer and there are some real cool photos.

If you're ever able to scan them Steve, email them to me and I can post them up.

Bloody computers, that`s why Bill Gates has got what he`s got, and I`ve got what I`ve worked for..........!!

Ha ha ha, yep, that sounds about right. Mind you Steve, you have a race car, and I don't, and I work on a computer all day, so I'm really doing something wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Jim Richards in the Sidchrome HQ Monaro. This was actually the Monaro raced by Neville Crichton in the Castrol GTX production road racing series in 1973/74, which Mark Sheehan ended up driving into a river. It had to be written off, and was converted into a speedway saloon for JR to race out of Waikaraka Park.

Attachment 24566

Got some info on this car and predecessor soon Steve

Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    I can check with Warren Black, but I`m pretty sure it was built from a semi burnt out insurance write off. Like you say they were all still relatively new - and valuable - cars at that time........
    Correct Steve, and finished of in Belmont Motors on North Shore by Mr Kendall, painted yellow and test drive up back road in wet was a hoot, Mr Kendall giving a boot full and yours sitting in right side on floor to check traction.

Steve, if you want I can scan/size and post for you if you like. maybe courier them back and forth.

Steve, if you want I can scan/size and post for you if you like. maybe courier them back and forth.

Hi guys. I'm trying to track down Phil Joyce who raced at Western Springs and the came to Waikaraka Park, raced a 100E bodied stock car with Kimba on the boot. Had a PM from his grandson but nothing since. Used to own Otara Panel Beaters opposite Foodtown at Otahuhu. Can anyone assist.
    Cheers Dave Graham

Here you go on 'test day' Mr Kendall checking it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

The first night Ronnie McDowell ran and introduction and photo time with Ron Kendall impersonating photographer in car.

Then what happened when McDowell went home Ron Kendall played for a little while and then along came Scotty and rest is history.

Ok, here's one for the boys to sort out, was 1969, had Mays head, etc. looks nice and tidy here.
    Waikaraka, brothers were/are hoons.
    Not McConnachie boys

Tony G and Steve E, Gene Welch in blue machine, he was quick with good gear. It screamed.

Rod- Thunderbird Service Station and Ranger Signs-its ringing some bells.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Tony G and Steve E, Gene Welch in blue machine, he was quick with good gear. It screamed.
    Thanks Rod, I`ve got some other photos of this car. This car was miles outside the rules at the time - even in the US - as Gene Welch built it specifically to bring to NZ and Aussie. It was basically an offset sprint car - note the knock on hubs all round - with a`73 Camaro body panels attached. The car was so short that the back edge of the door formed the front of the rear wheel arch! It had the engine set right back and was bloody fast. When he took the car to Aussie after NZ, some of the top locals at one of the tracks refused to race against it, so he did a deal with the promoter were he`d start off the back, a lap down in the 25 lap feature. By about 2/3 race distance he was on his way through the field, lapping them for the second time!

One of the photos I`ve got is Gene Welch and the late Kevin Bates from Hamilton, with the Gene Welch Trophy, which he had done as an incentive for the kiwi driver who got the most points against him during his visit to NZ. He was a true professional. As a young teenager I got him to sign the front of my programme which had a photo of his family on the cover, `not a problem' he said. I still have that programme today.
    Last edited by fullnoise68; 04-04-2014 at 12:46 AM.

yep, a real nice guy, and not a spring chicken either. Car was certainly a 'special' not anything like what had been seen before.

Awesome stuff guys, these photos are great! The Gene Welch Camaro looks incredible. I'd only ever seen one photo of that car before, but it was mostly from the front, and didn't show how short it was. So its great to see that pic.

Can you remember roughly when the '69 Firebird was built up for McDowell? The early photos of it show it with quite narrow wheels, even on the right side.

The Firebird first raced in the `72-`73 season. Ronny McDowell only ran the one meeting and the 3 speed Chev gearbox shit itself during one of the races. Rod, in my 1969 programmes it says John Hayman had #20 Zephyr.....??

Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    One of the photos I`ve got is Gene Welch and the late Kevin Bates from Hamilton, with the Gene Welch Trophy, which he had done as an incentive for the kiwi driver who got the most points against him during his visit to NZ. He was a true professional. As a young teenager I got him to sign the front of my programme which had a photo of his family on the cover, `not a problem' he said. I still have that programme today.
    Is Gene Welch still us these days? if so he'd be getting on now!! Dale M