Thread: Phillip Island Classic 2014

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Interesting to see one of the Brock M3s from the 1988 season. Were these not the JPS cars from 1987?

Name:  DSC_3885.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  93.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Interesting to see one of the Brock M3s from the 1988 season. Were these not the JPS cars from 1987?

Name:  DSC_3885.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  93.7 KB
    Yes, you are correct Steve. I owned this car for 9 years. It was built especially for the World Touring Car round at Bathurst in 87. Jim Richards came 4th in it. I think that it was Jim's car for the 88 season, it certainly wasn't Brocky's. The team ran 3 cars late in the season, with Neil Crompton getting his first drive in the big time. At the end of the season 2 cars were sold to Peter Doulman (this one) and to John Cotter. They ran as a team, and this car won it's class at Bathurst in 89. When Super tourers were started, Peter Doulman converted the car to 2 litre (with a crank and rods made right here in Christchurch by Bob Densom @ Denco Engineering) and won the Super Tourer Championship in it. After one more season, Doulman retired, and Justin Matthews purchased it and ran again in Super Tourers. Homogation ran out in 96, and I purchased it in Feb 97 and bought it back to Christchurch still in Faber Castell colours. With so many JPS cars around at that stage (1 M3 and 2 325's in Chch alone) I decided to paint it in Mobil colours in 2005. I sold it back to Jim Richards in 2006, just a couple of months before Brocky was killed.
    M3's are the most incredible car to drive. They make the most average driver feel like a World Champion. It is not possible to just go out and cruise, they just call out to be driven hard. I really enjoyed my time with that car.
    Pete Blomfield