Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Graeme Bennett Collection - Part 2

Photos: The Graeme Bennett Collection - Part 2

Name:  2011-11-25_91.jpg
Views: 2101
Size:  142.1 KB

Its been a while since I uploaded Part 1 of the Graeme Bennett Collection of historic New Zealand motor racing photos. Graeme's collection is BIG, and as such, I'm splitting it into several parts. Part 1 contained Saloon Car racing photos, of which there are more to come in a future chapter. But for Part 2, I wanted to concentrate on single seaters. Or, to be more precise, Formula 5000.

Graeme managed to snap some great Formula Atlantic/Pacific photos which will also be shown at a future date, but there are more than enough photos to separate F5000 and Atlantic/Pacific completely.

The F5000 pictures shown are from the last few seasons of the formula being run in New Zealand, so you won't see any Lola T142's or McLaren M10's. The dates are a bit mixed up, but thats OK, just enjoy them for what they are. The pics are from Pukekohe and Manfeild, and appear to be at the major Tasman Series races, so there is a great mix of cars.

Graeme Lawrence campaigned this Lola T332 from the 1973/74 season, right through until the demise of F5000 in New Zealand. Initially the car was painted blue, with the tall air-box and exposed motor. For the 1975 season, Lawrence picked up Marlboro backing, and ran the car in the new red and white colour scheme of the cigarette company, initially with the same bodywork as the previous season, and eventually with a more curvaceous air-box and engine cover. This shot shows the Lola in its second guise.

Name:  2011-11-25_1.jpg
Views: 2139
Size:  106.4 KB

Here is Frank Bray, in the ex-David Oxton Begg FM5 which is now in the Southward Car Museum. Bray raced the Begg during the 1974/75 season, though without a great deal of success, although he did score a good 5th place at the Manfeild International event, finishing one place behind Jim Murdoch in the new Begg 018.

Name:  2011-11-25_2.jpg
Views: 2130
Size:  95.1 KB

Another shot here of the Lawrence T332, while in behind are the two Begg FM5's, of Bray and Graham Baker, Baker in the ex-Allan McCully PDL car.

Name:  2011-11-25_3.jpg
Views: 2064
Size:  116.8 KB

And speaking of Begg's, here is the last one built, Begg 018. Much of the construction work was done by Jim Murdoch, who also drove the car, but rather than include his initials in the designation, as had been the case with the Fred McLean Begg's, this cars designation related only to the fact it was the 18th Begg built, and George Begg knew it would be the last.

Name:  2011-11-25_5.jpg
Views: 1925
Size:  101.5 KB

Here is Graham McRae in the McRae GM2, at the 1974 Pukekohe International (not the New Zealand Grand Prix, as that was held at Wigram in 1974). McRae qualified on the front row at most NZ rounds that season, but failed to win a race in his homeland. I believe the rights to the GM2 design eventually came to be owned by Jack McCormack, who built a small number of cars under the Talon name.

Name:  2011-11-25_81.jpg
Views: 1991
Size:  140.1 KB

This is Teddy Pilette, in one of two Team VDS Chevron B24's that ran the 1974 Tasman Series. Pilette finished this race in 4th position, while his team mate, Peter Gethin, was the victor.

Name:  2011-11-25_82.jpg
Views: 2111
Size:  130.6 KB

Here is Max Stewart in the Lola T330 with the distinctive rear wing that always looks like its falling off. For some reason the end-plates, which themselves are quite deep, are angled backwards, although the centre aerofoil is set to the usual attack angle. Maybe it was originally set up for a very high downforce track, where it was tilted further forward? Stewart won the 1974 Teretonga International with this car.

Name:  2011-11-25_83.jpg
Views: 1887
Size:  129.8 KB

In my opinion, one of the very best looking of all F5000 cars; the Allan McCully Begg FM5. This car differed to the FM5 run by George Begg for David Oxton, although its most notable difference is the air-box which is significantly taller and narrower. This car now competes regularly in historic F5000. For quite a few years it was painted blue, but more recently has been repainted in the correct PDL pink. I wish I had a photo of the car to hand as it currently looks, as its rear wing is mounted VERY high, compared to this period photo. I assume its current set-up is an attempt to grab more clean air away from the bodywork?

Something I was told once was that this car was never officially termed a 'Begg' by McCully, as he and George Begg had had a falling out, so he only ever referred to it as an FM5. Does anyone know if this is true?

Name:  2011-11-25_88.jpg
Views: 1980
Size:  132.0 KB

George called his last car the 018 because it was his 18th car. No.16 was the pink car above - if George didn't regard this as one of 'his', then 018 would have been 017.

According to the 'book' prepared in conjunction with the George Begg Spectacular at Teretonga in February 2007, this car "...started life as a spare" and "...differed from the car George and David Oxton took to Europe in a number of areas..."

George called it a Begg, the current owner, who had worked in the 'Toyshop' as a University student, calls it a Begg - and as a result it featured in a the aforementioned book - I know the author and there was never any question in his mind...

This is the Allan McCully Begg FM5 in its more pink mode at last year's Leadfoot festival. It looked real good. (Note "Begg FM5" on the front).

Name:  IMG_9772_zps230d3441.jpg
Views: 1831
Size:  45.4 KB

Name:  IMG_9796_zps06c3b573.jpg
Views: 1780
Size:  41.6 KB
    Last edited by Shano; 08-22-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    In my opinion, one of the very best looking of all F5000 cars; the Allan McCully Begg FM5. This car differed to the FM5 run by George Begg for David Oxton, although its most notable difference is the air-box which is significantly taller and narrower. This car now competes regularly in historic F5000. For quite a few years it was painted blue, but more recently has been repainted in the correct PDL pink. I wish I had a photo of the car to hand as it currently looks, as its rear wing is mounted VERY high, compared to this period photo. I assume its current set-up is an attempt to grab more clean air away from the bodywork?

Something I was told once was that this car was never officially termed a 'Begg' by McCully, as he and George Begg had had a falling out, so he only ever referred to it as an FM5. Does anyone know if this is true?

Name:  2011-11-25_88.jpg
Views: 1980
Size:  132.0 KB
    This is a long running naming story with Allan (AJ) McCully. The tub was a spare FM5 one sold to AJ by George. It is probably fair to say they did not send each other Christmas cards. The car was built in the PDL workshops in Christchurch. The bodywork was created by Robin Officer. AJ ran the unusual PDL liveried car in the 1974 Tasman series, retiring at Pukekohe, finishing as magnificent second at Levin to Johnnie Walker's T330 Lola just fractions of a second behind. A 7th at Wigram and 6th at Teretonga then saw the pink car moved on by Allan. It moved through many different owners both here and Australia until arriving back in New Zealand.
    It's current owner, Lindsay O'Donnell initially painted it a light electric blue but has bowed to pressure from old farts like me to re-create the original period livery! It probably looks better these days than it ever did and is on display at the Highlands National Motorsport Museum near Cromwell.

Thanks for the replies you guys. Thanks too Shane for posting the pics of the car as it currently appears. You can see how much taller the wing is mounted now.

Here is Warwick Brown's impressive Lola T332.

Name:  2011-11-25_84.jpg
Views: 1726
Size:  97.2 KB

Great shot here of the unique Garry Pederson McLaren M18, with its side-mounted radiators and sharp nose. This is a really good looking car from this angle. Does anyone know what happened to it?

Name:  2011-11-25_94.jpg
Views: 1791
Size:  117.9 KB

Steve, did you get photos I emailed (just interested if email worked)

Semi-Pro Racer
    The M18B was with Peter Benbrook for a while - he may still have it

Thanks David. Any idea on its condition?

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Steve, did you get photos I emailed (just interested if email worked)
    Yes I did Rod, thanks heaps. Just had to resize them to fit. Here is the first one, which again shows the much taller rear wing position.

Name:  P1010997.jpg
Views: 1583
Size:  153.9 KB

Graeme Lawrence pounds down the front straight at Puke. Just look at the inside and outside fences. Not the sort of thing you want to hit in a flimsy F5000.

Name:  2011-11-25_6.jpg
Views: 1563
Size:  114.6 KB