Since retiring and becoming an old age pensioner I've taken up cycling. I can't say I really enjoy it, in fact it is quite hard work, but having well developed leg muscles is pleasing and there is a worrying pleasure in wearing lycra so that's why I do it. Anyway, recently I was pedalling along a quiet rural road when up ahead I saw a bloke shutting his gate so I stopped and asked him if his name was Stephen Holmes. He answered in the affirmative so I told him that for about the last 4 years I have been an almost daily visitor to TRS forum. That led on to us chatting for a bit during which he encouraged me to become a member.

Now, it seems to me that most of the people who post and comment here have some sort of active motorsport background. Drivers, mechanics, car builders, photographers, flag wavers etc. In other words people who are or have been at the pointy end of things and have stories to tell,comments to make, and wisdom to impart.

Well, I'm not in that group. I'm just one of those poor sods who paid at the gate, found a vantage spot and watched the cars go past. Been doing it for over 50 years now, seen quite a few races and that's about it for me. Still I might be able to come up with a comment or memory here and there. You never know.

David Hunter