Thread: Just a nobody

Just a nobody

Since retiring and becoming an old age pensioner I've taken up cycling. I can't say I really enjoy it, in fact it is quite hard work, but having well developed leg muscles is pleasing and there is a worrying pleasure in wearing lycra so that's why I do it. Anyway, recently I was pedalling along a quiet rural road when up ahead I saw a bloke shutting his gate so I stopped and asked him if his name was Stephen Holmes. He answered in the affirmative so I told him that for about the last 4 years I have been an almost daily visitor to TRS forum. That led on to us chatting for a bit during which he encouraged me to become a member.

Now, it seems to me that most of the people who post and comment here have some sort of active motorsport background. Drivers, mechanics, car builders, photographers, flag wavers etc. In other words people who are or have been at the pointy end of things and have stories to tell,comments to make, and wisdom to impart.

Well, I'm not in that group. I'm just one of those poor sods who paid at the gate, found a vantage spot and watched the cars go past. Been doing it for over 50 years now, seen quite a few races and that's about it for me. Still I might be able to come up with a comment or memory here and there. You never know.

David Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Noo Noo View Post
    Since retiring and becoming an old age pensioner I've taken up cycling. I can't say I really enjoy it, in fact it is quite hard work, but having well developed leg muscles is pleasing and there is a worrying pleasure in wearing lycra so that's why I do it. Anyway, recently I was pedalling along a quiet rural road when up ahead I saw a bloke shutting his gate so I stopped and asked him if his name was Stephen Holmes. He answered in the affirmative so I told him that for about the last 4 years I have been an almost daily visitor to TRS forum. That led on to us chatting for a bit during which he encouraged me to become a member.

Now, it seems to me that most of the people who post and comment here have some sort of active motorsport background. Drivers, mechanics, car builders, photographers, flag wavers etc. In other words people who are or have been at the pointy end of things and have stories to tell,comments to make, and wisdom to impart.

Well, I'm not in that group. I'm just one of those poor sods who paid at the gate, found a vantage spot and watched the cars go past. Been doing it for over 50 years now, seen quite a few races and that's about it for me. Still I might be able to come up with a comment or memory here and there. You never know.

David Hunter
    Welcome to the Roaring Season David, that Steve Holmes has cause a bit of trouble since starting this roaring season motorsport forum(humor), but besides that i have GREAT admiration for you as a person! as you've managed to avoid the addiction that motorsport can be and is, you must be a Gozillionaire by now, LOL

You got any stories or comments please do post em up

Enjoy

Dale Mathers
    Last edited by Kiwiboss; 04-14-2015 at 01:49 AM.

Hi Dave [well said Dale] hey Dave every body is a some body, we are all different , without you we could not go motor racing past,present or future , & every thing happens for a reason ...... [ you meeting Steve]......I guess we were all on the embankments watching at some point & time , then came a desire [a choice] we all make different choices , twists & turns ....perception is an interesting thing, some of the drivers at times would love to be on the embankments .and some would hope they never sat in a race car ......... nice meeting you friend ... grant

Quote Originally Posted by Noo Noo View Post
    David Hunter
    You sound much like me David - good to have a fellow spectator on the Forum. I'm sure there are some great memories to share.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
    Welcome to the Roaring Season David, that Steve Holmes has cause a bit of trouble since starting this roaring season motorsport forum(humor), but besides that i have GREAT admiration for you as a person! as you've managed to avoid the addiction that motorsport can be and is, you must be a Gozillionaire by now, LOL

You got any stories or comments please do post em up

Enjoy

Dale Mathers
    Thanks for that Dale. Sadly, I'm not a godzillionaire. My wife has always squandered our money on silly things like groceries and clothing the children and paying bills so I never had a chance really.
    Mind you, I did own a Mustang for a few years ('67 notchback, 289 C4 in Brittany Blue) but I kept overhearing our son telling people that he was going to get it when I died. That got me nervous because he's a butcher and has a lot of very sharp knives and he might think of hastening things along so I sold it to him. Now my hobby vehicle is a 1958 Morris Minor van. A lot less status but at least I can sleep at night lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Sprague View Post
    Hi Dave [well said Dale] hey Dave every body is a some body, we are all different , without you we could not go motor racing past,present or future , & every thing happens for a reason ...... [ you meeting Steve]......I guess we were all on the embankments watching at some point & time , then came a desire [a choice] we all make different choices , twists & turns ....perception is an interesting thing, some of the drivers at times would love to be on the embankments .and some would hope they never sat in a race car ......... nice meeting you friend ... grant
    Thanks for your welcome Grant and I think you're probably right in what you say. When I was young I did have a bit of a go at hillclimbs but the fear of demolishing my car told me that, for me, watching rather than doing was probably the better scheme. A major lack of ability was a factor too lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoreboy57 View Post
    You sound much like me David - good to have a fellow spectator on the Forum. I'm sure there are some great memories to share.
    Hey, I'm not alone! Over the years I've bored plenty of people with my motor sport memories. Maybe, finally, I've found a receptive audience. Hope so anyway.