Thread: Introducing *me*, and calling for assistance

Introducing *me*, and calling for assistance

Hello all,

I have been reading this board with interest. My name is John McCrystal. I have been commissioned to write about Rod Millen, and I'm looking for stories about him (publisher will likely welcome photos, too). I've already PMed a couple of you who seem to have a good store of yarns about Rod, but if anyone wants to reminisce about Mr Millen, I'd be very grateful to hear from you. Feel free to post replies or PM me for my contact details.

Thanks!

PS: Not a motorsport person, but I am a car enthusiast. My current car is a 1957 Mk II Zephyr...

John, you need to get in touch with Auckland Car Club and Northern Sports Car Club about the early days of Rallying in and around Auckland with the Millen boys being part of that scene, both Rod and Steve, rallied in a beach Buggy VW based to start with [ memory here ] and i do beleive that as it did not have a roof, just a roll cage were told it had to be a closed car so .. a sheet of metal was attached to the rollcage making it a ' closed ' car.. think they won the first NSCC Woodhill Rally in 1971 in the Buggy.. Many others will know a lot more

Thanks, Roger! Yes, the bug soon had a V6 Ford dropped in which was the beginning of its reign of terror...

Hi John, welcome to The Roaring Season. Its great to have you here. Feel free to also post any requests in the General Discussion area. You'll get a lot more bites there.

Thanks, Steve. Will do. It's a terrific site. The forum is endlessly good reading, and the photos...!

Quote Originally Posted by johnmccrystal View Post
    Thanks, Roger! Yes, the bug soon had a V6 Ford dropped in which was the beginning of its reign of terror...
    John, just going through old TRS entries, wondered how the " Millen " stories are going. cheers, Roger

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    John, just going through old TRS entries, wondered how the " Millen " stories are going. cheers, Roger
    Roger, they ended up in a book "The Cutting Edge" by Rod Millen (with John McCrystal) . Published by Random House NZ in 2014($39.95 NZ). Don't know if it found its way to Queensland, but www.randomhouse.co.nz could probably help.

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post
    Roger, they ended up in a book "The Cutting Edge" by Rod Millen (with John McCrystal) . Published by Random House NZ in 2014($39.95 NZ). Don't know if it found its way to Queensland, but www.randomhouse.co.nz could probably help.

Stu
    Stu, haven't seen it as no good bookshops in the North of Brisbane, will try online and will be in NZ in May so that could be the answer