Thread: McLaren M4A

Weekend Warrior

McLaren M4A

Hello all

I have just published a page on the McLaren M4As on OldRacingCars.com and I would be most grateful for any further information that you guys can add.

McLaren M4A

I would be hugely obliged if anyone has photographs of these cars "down under" from 1967 to 1971 that they would allow me to use.

Wow Allen - what a body of work!

Just a handful of comments:

Jim Palmer was initially intending to purchase the M4B but the fire put paid to that. He actually acquired his M4A in 1967 and it was first raced here later that year prior to the 68 Tasman. Jim doesn't have the fondest of memories of that car, recalling it as being flexible - something he says was actually rectified on the 1968 Trojan cars.

Regarding the Graeme Lawrence car - at the 2006 Tasman Revival at Eastern Creek, the meeting where Kenny Smith raced the O'Connell M4A, I met one of the organisers who told me he had owned that car. I think this could be the Australian you refer to. He told me he'd painted the car black. I believe Peter Herbert acquired directly from him.

Finally, the M4B project - I have also heard about this and indeed spoken to the man behind it. I've also spoken to another guy who believes what was left of it is in his possession.

I'm pleased to see our old mate, the late Bill Stone, mentioned. It is fair to say Bill was somewhat 'seduced' by the prospect of racing 'a McLaren' but ultimately found the car in 1-litre F3 format no better than the Brabham he'd run in 1967.

The event organiser you spoke to would have been Peter Addison. The car was obtained from Andrew Cunningham in Timaru around the mid 1980s and given a pull through.It was indeed black at this stage.Peter Herbert obtained it back in the 1990s and to the best of my knowledge it hasn't been seen since, not even at the Bruce McLaren tribute at Hampton Downs a few years ago.Which is a waste of a good car. Peter never enjoyed driving it as much as later runs in two different BT 23 Brabhams with similar FVA engines and Hewland FT 200s.Likewise we suspected the full length monocoque flexed somewhat.
    Garry Simkin.

Weekend Warrior
    Anyone know if Peter Herbert still owns it? My last info is four years out of date.

Allen - I have sent you a PM

Last heard that Peters son and Duncan Fox were puting this car back together in the Air New Zealand colours.

That is great news - look forward to seeing that car on track again.