Thread: Standing quarter, Ohoka Nth Canterbury c1952

I'm rather stumped as to who was the second driver and car in this lineup. Duncan Rutherford owned this (or similar) for many years, is this perhaps the same car?
    Name:  Roaring season 01_1.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  132.0 KBp
    Last edited by enthusiast1949; 03-31-2014 at 05:41 AM.

It certainly looks like RA 3.

Semi-Pro Racer
    If you were at the Roycroft meeting I am sure this was the Duncan Rutherford Lycoming car on display in Hamptons. I hope Old Fart has more info for us. Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by enthusiast1949 View Post
    I'm rather stumped as to who was the second driver and car in this lineup. Duncan Rutherford owned this (or similar) for many years, is this perhaps the same car?
    Name:  Roaring season 01_1.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  132.0 KBp

Semi-Pro Racer

RA Fiat Perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by Kwaussie View Post
    It certainly looks like RA 3.
    Probably called the RA Fiat at the time, it was built by Hec Green/Jack Brewer in 1950 for Des Wild but David Owen seems also to have driven as well it in 1950-51. Alec(?Arthur) Ferguson was 6th in it at Mairehau in March 1952, and by 1953 it was owned and raced by Harold O'Neill who had fitted a Chevrolet engine which necessitated a big ugly hump in the bonnet. Arthur Kennard (and others apparently) also raced it in this form before Duncan Rutherford bought it in 1955(?) and fitted a Lycoming engine from a crashed plane and ran it as the Lycoming Special for a number of years.

I think the photo must date from 1952 as number plates in photo are from the 1951(?July) to 1956 series, and the car had Chevy engine with bonnet hump from early 1953 at least. Although when Rutherford ran it the flat-4 Lycoming engine would easily fit under the original bonnet - and then, the car in photo carries number '11' a favourite number of original builder Hec Green on most cars he drove. Confusing! The late Dave McKinney would have had more definite info, I'm sure.

Stu

World Champion
    The Lycoming
    Attached Images Attached Images  

World Champion
    Another photo from Tahuna
    Attached Images Attached Images