Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Allan Cameron Collection - Part 2

Photos: The Allan Cameron Collection - Part 2

Name:  IMG_0010.jpg
Views: 2535
Size:  155.7 KB

The Benson & Hedges 500 was one of New Zealands longest running car racing events. It grew from the Wills 6 Hour race, which first began in 1963, run by the New Zealand International Grand Prix organisation. The Wills 6 Hour was held at the Pukekohe circuit, just south of Auckland. Cigarette company WD & HO Wills provided the backing. The race was open to production touring cars, and was won by Tony Shelly and Ray Archibald in a 3.8 litre MkI Jaguar.

The race quickly gained a strong following, despite some misgivings over the type of vehicles that were allowed to compete. Paul Fahey and Jim Palmer won the 1964 running of the event, in the same modified Lotus Cortina Fahey would use to win the 1965 New Zealand Saloon Car Championship. Jag's again won the event the next two years, before the NZIGP gave it a shake-up for 1967, requiring the vehicles be stock-standard road cars, and that they be New Zealand assembled. From 1968, the race would be held over a distance of 500 miles, rather than the 6 Hour timed distance, from previous years. 1968 also saw a switch of cigarette brands to Benson & Hedges.

The B&H 500 became a huge annual event on the New Zealand motorsport calendar right through to 1980, and always at Pukekohe, before switching to a three race endurance series held at the North Island tracks of Bay Park, Manfeild, and Pukekohe.

The B&H 500 took place 13 times between 1968 and 1980, but was only won by five different makes: Vauxhall Victor (1968/69), Chrysler Valiant Regal V8 (1970/71), Chrysler Charger 770 (1972-78), Volkswagon Golf GTi (1979), and Holden Commodore (1980). And production car racing expert Leo Leonard won the race six times, four of which were with Ernie Sprague. Sprague also teamed up with his son Gary to win the last Wills 6 Hour race in 1967 driving a Ford Zodiac.

Rod Coppins also enjoyed a lot of success in the B&H 500, winning it four times; twice with Jim Richards, and twice with Jerry Clayton. Coppins also won the 1965 Wills 6 Hour, teamed with John Ward. Graeme Richardt/Jim Little won the event in 1976, Wayne Wilkinson/Roy Harrington won it in 1978. Richardt had also teamed with Leonard to win the 1971 event. Virtually every driver to have won, was a car dealer! Indeed, the vast majority of contestants through the multiple classes were car dealers. It made sense, these were bog-standard road cars, and nobody in New Zealand had greater access to suitable vehicles. Many were taken off the lot, raced, and returned to the lot the following Monday morning to be sold to unsuspecting customers.

This was a huge event, with a strong following, and the season highlight for many, particularly those taking part. It also enjoyed local New Zealand manufacturer/dealer support, and even produced a couple of B&H 500 race specific specials, including a batch of Fiat 125T's, all appropriately painted yellow.

In Part 2 of the Allan Cameron Collection, we focus purely on the B&H 500. Allan captured images from the 1970, 1971, and 1974 running of the event. And these images make for great viewing.

This opening batch of photos are from the 1970 B&H 500 event, but this is not the B&H 500 race. Pictured is a support race for production touring cars. These are cars available in New Zealand, but not NZ assembled, such as the Falcon GT-HOs, Holden Monaros etc. This is moments after the start, as the field streams through the left hand dog-leg that is no longer used.

Name:  IMG_0001.jpg
Views: 2456
Size:  151.3 KB

And emerging out the other side.

Name:  IMG_0002.jpg
Views: 2458
Size:  122.4 KB

The back half of the field bunches into the left-hander. You can see some of the cars down the back would also be eligible for the B&H race.

Name:  IMG_0003.jpg
Views: 2447
Size:  147.1 KB

And streaming out now onto the back straight. You can clearly see the horse racing track inside the car track. Much like Sandown.

Name:  IMG_0005.jpg
Views: 2329
Size:  118.0 KB

Steve, you can also clearly see the cars! No longer!

Ha ha ha, yes thats right, lots of concrete barricades now.

Here is one of the Monaros working its way through the back markers. I wish I could ID some of these drivers, but I don't have any info on this race, only the main B&H race.

Name:  IMG_0006.jpg
Views: 2327
Size:  141.7 KB

Now onto the B&H race, and here is one of the V8 Valiant Regals, this being the Merv Neil/Tim Bailey car, showing signs of damage.

Name:  IMG_0012.jpg
Views: 2356
Size:  99.0 KB

One of the Cortina GTE's.

Name:  IMG_0011.jpg
Views: 2321
Size:  130.2 KB

Steve, some of those pictures look late in the day, which might mean the main race? Then again there are a few parkas etc so perhaps it's just the bad weather.

Ahhh, when Pukekohe WAS Pukekohe. No concrete barriers, no bridges to obscure the view. Suspect dunnies, mud up to ankles and just about to be able to go anywhere outside the track to get a better view and no little Hitlers in white coats telling you where you cant go. Ahhh, those were the days.
    Dave Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Steve, some of those pictures look late in the day, which might mean the main race? Then again there are a few parkas etc so perhaps it's just the bad weather.
    I think its a bit of both Rhys, it was a grey day, and the pictures are also quite dark.

This is the McMillan Ford Falcon 500 driven to third place in the 1970 B&H 500 by Robbie Francevic/Steve Borich. I'm scratching my head just a little, as there is a McMillan Falcon leading all the Monaros in the opening images in this thread from the support race. The two cars look the same, but I can't believe a 6 cylinder Falcon 500 could outrun those Monaros, plus what appears to be a GT-HO. So I'm guessing McMillan were running a GT-HO painted up in identical colours for the support race? Can anyone shed light on this? I know McMillan ran a Phase III, but that wasn't until 1972.

Name:  IMG_0008.jpg
Views: 2460
Size:  110.1 KB

The Valiants were dominant in the race, here is another of them. The white Valiant, third in the line, appears to be the winning Leonard/Sprague machine.

Name:  IMG_0010.jpg
Views: 2152
Size:  155.7 KB

Weekend Warrior
    I was a flag marshall in those days. Do remember drivers running B&H 500 cars in the support race, and also two Falcons in similar livery, one a GT in the support event and the other a weezy six pot complete with steel wheels in the main event. This was a way to spread prestige from two events across both. The B&H was a big deal and a win meant a lot, but the Ford machines just didn't look like race cars unlike the GT. So...make the one in the big deal event look like the racer in the little event.
    Almost always gloomy and wet in my memory.