Thread: The Jeff Law Collection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Oh how I wish I still had my 1955 RME Riley... Maybe I would if I'd had the skills (or cash) to restore it all those years ago. Bought for just 20 pounds - with knackered big ends in 1970 - and sold for 70. Sob, sob. One of the nicest cars I have ever driven.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Oh how I wish I still had my 1955 RME Riley... Maybe I would if I'd had the skills (or cash) to restore it all those years ago. Bought for just 20 pounds - with knackered big ends in 1970 - and sold for 70. Sob, sob. One of the nicest cars I have ever driven.

What fantastic memories from Levin.
    I had forgotten how rough the edges of the track were !!
    In some places it is hard to tell the where the track ends and the "rough" begins.
    The 44gal. drums and No.8 fencing wire being the only containment for errant cars would make current safety stewards shudder.
    I remember spending many Saturdays at the circuit with my father (Vic. Hudson), painting these drums in the lead up to the first Levin race meeting in January 1956.
    I also remember Chris in the A40 Special at Levin but don't recall it being particularly reliable.