Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In memory: Glen (Jigger) Jones

In memory: Glen (Jigger) Jones

I am fortunate enough to have known this great guy and shared alot of time and track with him. Remember him way back in Coupe days and then Valiant with 400 chev sideways at hillclimb, grass track and curcuit meetings and it goes on. He had already done a heap before i meet him, so I am very lucky to have on loan from his wife a history in photos of Glen. (believe he is in another thread in coupe on grass)
    If anyone has a story (there's a couple) or photos, please join in and share with all of us.
    This man was a true gentleman, until the helmet went on and then came the mist. A very talented person behind the wheel and with a spanner in his hand.
    Never forgotten Glen
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 10-25-2014 at 12:56 AM.

Weekend Warrior
    I too was one of the lucky ones to have raced and shared the odd DB sandwich with Jigger.
    Great guy and had some great battles on the track.
    Will not be forgotten.

Jigger Jones

Name:  Top-6.jpg
Views: 1487
Size:  40.5 KB

Not a very good photo of Jigger I am sorry,but its from the Pukekohe Car Club Hillclimb at Ridge Road Pokeno April 1970 which Jigger won in his Coupe
    I met Jigger through my good fiend George Dixon in the very early seventies when he was racing his first Coupe and I feel lucky to have shared that friendship for many years afterwards and yes there were a few DB sandwhiches along the way and more than a few good laughs and memories

Once i can get this resize thing sorted i will post some classic photos of Glen and some of the cars he played with.

Great thread Rod, keep it coming.

Journeyman Racer
    Rod - do you know if this was the Glenn Jones that built the Morrari for Garth Souness?

Yes it was and when i can sort out photos will show some great shots of him and Morrari, along with all types of beasts that Glen drove.

Journeyman Racer
    Hi Rod, that would be great to see more shots of the Morrari - we are almost ready to start the chassis and anything that shows any detail would be great.

Will do, i have left note on your thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Yes it was and when i can sort out photos will show some great shots of him and Morrari, along with all types of beasts that Glen drove.
    Rod, if this is the same Glen Jones that built the Morrari, would I be correct that it is the same GJ that raced stockcars at Epsom circa 1957, stockrods at Gloucester Park circa 1961, and possibly early modifieds/sprintcars at Western Springs?

Pallmall you are right again here are a couple of the early days in stockcars, note the modified wire wheels of later model. I have photos shortly of Sprinter days from Rotorua and Auckland. Anyone with more info please pass it on in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by pallmall View Post
    Rod, if this is the same Glen Jones that built the Morrari, would I be correct that it is the same GJ that raced stockcars at Epsom circa 1957, stockrods at Gloucester Park circa 1961, and possibly early modifieds/sprintcars at Western Springs?
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Note the signwriting and steel work.

You wait till Greg Stokes see's the pics of that Ford coupe. You'll hear his jaw hit the floor. Its amazing that these old cars that are hugely desirable now (especially '30s Ford coupes) that back in the '60s held no value, and so many ended their days in the dirt bullrings. There is a '40 Willys coupe bodied stockcar in Palmerston North that has somehow survived. Those Willys coupe bodies are now nearly as desirable as '32 Ford 3 window coupes. Amazing photos Rod. This is an incredible thread.

I see the Pall Mall signage on the side. Was Glen part of the formidable Pall Mall team?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    I see the Pall Mall signage on the side. Was Glen part of the formidable Pall Mall team?

No, that car in the photo was around 1955-56, a long time before the Pall Mall team. I have some photos I will post later.

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    You wait till Greg Stokes see's the pics of that Ford coupe. You'll hear his jaw hit the floor. Its amazing that these old cars that are hugely desirable now (especially '30s Ford coupes) that back in the '60s held no value, and so many ended their days in the dirt bullrings. There is a '40 Willys coupe bodied stockcar in Palmerston North that has somehow survived. Those Willys coupe bodies are now nearly as desirable as '32 Ford 3 window coupes. Amazing photos Rod. This is an incredible thread.

You got that right Steve - same amount of jaw dropping with that pic showing the reinforcing on the wire wheels! OUCH!

Western Springs, probably around 1956, this car was also driven by Dave Rennie, so I am not sure exactly where Glen and Dave fit in the timeline. (Western Springs stockcar era is something I am curently researching for my Auckland Stockcar book)

Epsom Showgrounds 1957-58 season. (sorry, repeating some images here)

This car as #9 and #2 also has a possible connection to Dave Rennie, car originally was raced at TeRapa and Western Springs as #65 by Bill McBride then raced at Epsom by Glen Jones as #9 and #2, was sold to Sam Ferabend in 1958 and became his first stockcar.

I am only down loading these off the photo disc's that Glens family have given me.
    So Pallmall you will have the stories and knowledge about them.
    Photos are too good not to look at history.
    As we progress through into later years i will be able add a bit with your and Bobs help.

Some Sprinter photos as well.

The last two posts are all Rotorua, the Sprintcar is actually a Modified Sportsman, a class that started in Rotorua in around 1976 and still runs today as Modifieds around the country. Early guess is the Modified photos are mid to late eighties, the stockcar photos range from the very early days of Paradise Valley in 1971 through the following 10 years approx. I guess that is Glen in the modified without getting out my references, not sure which stockcars he is driving.