Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: In memory: Glen (Jigger) Jones

Thanks David,yes I thought that photo was a real example of Glens push on style back in the Coupe days ,that was the Levin meeting where all the coupe boys went south for the first time for I think it was called "All Comer Saloons ' I think perhaps that was the first time I had heard that term used up North ,I remember it being used at Wigram before that.can you imagine driving all those old cars to Levin and back,no trailers or " A " frames for those boys ,you could have written a whole book just about that trip and its happenings

Didn't the Taihape traffic cop write a reasonably sized book when they came through town?

Semi-Pro Racer
    I think you're right about the 'Allcomer' terminology, Bob

From memory, Wigram was the first organiser to be concerned about saloons getting away from the 'showroom stock' concept - as early as 1962 or 1963, when they wouldn't allow Mini-Coopers in with those nice Jagwahs etc. Instead they were given an 'all comers' race, in which anything with a roof could run. This led to the ridiculous situation of Spencer Martin running the Scuderia Veloce Ferrari 250LM in the 1966 race, and Brent Hawes entering into the spirit of the occasion by fixing a makeshift roof to the Tojeiro-Jaguar!

I think the Levin organisers' approach was similar - pre-war coupés with Corvette engines were hardly what came to mind when one thought of saloons, so they were put in a separate class. And Messrs Riley and Dawson especially showed their machinery to be on a par with the likes of McBeath's Jaguar and Marwood's Humber 80

Hi, yes the commodore was written off when Mike Johnston had a big off tangling with another car coming onto the back straight at Levels. It cartwheeled numerous times with the front in the air against the row of trees that used to line the straight. Mike was ok.
    If its possible I would love any old OSCA or Nth Island Sport sedan photos as per above pictures sent to me as I'm compiling a large photo thread to display at our OSCA 40th reunion on nov 5th. Im sure many of these pics will start numerous conversations/stories on the night of the "good old days".
    Cheers Evan
    evanmunt@hotmail.com

Thanks Evan, yes thats how I remember it too.

Well done Drifty.................you are quite correct about Jigger...he was such a neat guy and a real great competitor to race against. I wrote to him just before I went to the USA and sadly he was to pass away before I was to return a month later. I was so moved when Lenora posted me the copy of his service. I have many cherished memories of Jigger way back in the sixties when I a pimply faced 15 yr old sold him a clutch for his Corvette powered Coupe right up to going head to head with him at Puke....talk about having to wear oil skinned undies!! He was a master of the late brakers in that bloody Datsun! These are brilliant photos ...and I see one of myself standing with my best mate your late brother Mike and your good self drinking out of a boot or similar....as ya did in those days. Well done mate and keep em coming. I will post a few delights along the way. Long Live Jigger. RIP. Sincere best personal wishes to his family. Kindest regards, Tony Rutherford.

Rod, as promised a few weeks back, Grant Taylor in the old Collins/Hyde, Jones Commodore. This was during the 1989/90 season. Sorry for the quality, my scanner seems to be on its way out.

Name:  Grant Taylor 1989-90.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  125.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    I am only down loading these off the photo disc's that Glens family have given me.
    So Pallmall you will have the stories and knowledge about them.
    Photos are too good not to look at history.
    As we progress through into later years i will be able add a bit with your and Bobs help.

Recieved this information last week, Refers to #18 & #19

Grimmie

Just a couple of bits of info to add to thread on Jigger.
    Stockcars in approx 1971-----Glen is driving # 66 which
    was the Ken Richardson car. The car he is about to attack
    is a YOUNG Lindsay Willis in #14.

Glen's superstock, as they were called then, was reputed to
    be a sprintcar ex Barry Butterworth with a body attached.
    I can remember going past their workshop about 4pm on a
    Sat afternoon [remember the days when the industrial areas
    buzzed with the sounds of engines and cars doing highly
    illegal test runs] Glen and the late ace car painter John Agnew
    plus others were bogging the roof of the superstock. It had obviously
    been one of those hard days by the hilarity of the bunch --
    [The hard part was keeping up with the always available supply
    of amber fluid] No shit the bog was well over 1" thick.

Another hard case bit came about at Wigram when Glen was
    driving the Commodore--- He was giving it a big wind up after the
    corner at the end of the main straight---the engine let go in front
    of us all spreading smoking hot metal everywhere, one main cap
    with a large piece of the block attached was picked up by Glen
    and he wandered off with the thoughts of what are the
    chances of welding it back in.
    Such were the thoughts of a real racer---never say die!

Rod just a few bits from an older Racer.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 04-22-2012 at 07:31 AM.

Well it is amazing how time pass's us all by:

Today is Glen (Jigger) Jones 25th anniversary since he hung his helmet and overalls up and departed for the big race track in the sky.

Glen is still mentioned in conversation we have with different people, and as summed up by one text I received this morning from a close friend "He was a good bästard"

RIP Glen you will never be forgotten by all of us who were so lucky to have shared time with.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 10-25-2014 at 01:23 AM.

Exactly right Rod, to think it was 25 years ago .... Jiggers funeral was testament to how many people he shared his life with by the huge turnout to pay our respects. For me personally, he was real helpful, a genuine guy, and a top bloke. R.I.P Glen.

Gee great post... Yep Glen was a good bugger for sure , I use to stay at same motel think it was around by Sahara motel at Taupo , would meet Glen at the bar after the hot pools, the best though as Rod said was in the big tent ...... was like one big family .... still is in a way but some of us moved on , & doing other things.....Glen was a natural Talent .......no two ways about that ...