Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In memory: Glen (Jigger) Jones

The Rex Findlay Datsun when it was handed to Glen to beat us guys up. Dude in jeans is Glens brother in law Kevin Gerbic. partners in mayhem.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 06-26-2016 at 02:06 AM.

New colour scheme and ready to go.

Interesting grid line up at club curcuit Puke, used to have good fields then.

2nd photo little blue Anglia 2nd from rear finished behind (a ways back) Jigger in Datsun and other Datsun (yellow) loved that club circuit.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 10-25-2014 at 01:18 AM.

Bay Park, This was one very quick little Datsun

Glen and Kevin at prize giving, Glen did a bit of this over the years.

One for you Auckland boy's, look at this likely bunch, I think this may be one of infamous Royal George social trips. Can not name all but some think I can. From left Pass, Glen Jones, The Reverand, pass, Bob Menzies, Rex Finlay, pass,pass, Brian Rice, pass,pass. Looks dangerous. Bob you may know missing links.

Glens involvement with this name (EIT) will come to light a little later in thread. Glen was very good friends and helped both Bob Menzies the Merc Man and navigator for Graeme Horne with the boat.

Glen and families purchase of this car was to be a huge step up to what Glen had always wanted.

Glen did a trip to the South Island along with Brett Willis and his Commodore and Ralph Mossman and his Viva. Many a story to be told on this trip. Glen was always a very quick driver but this Commodore put up there and in front quite often. This was good racing days with Nth island Sports Sedans and Sth Island OSCA getting together.

And there was Taupo, the original track with it's big tent as the main centre of activities and a more friendly bunch you could not meet. We used to tow our cars down there on Friday afternoon arrive around 8 or 9 and there they were waiting with the Bar B Q and hot food and of course they even had a bar with a chiller (not really needed some times) in the tent. A cold part of the country temperature wise but very warm with hospitality.

On a successful day Ross, (the kind of team manager) had a ritual he used to do and would try and involve who ever was in drinking distance to partake. These were good fun days. As mentioned the tent at Taupo was a great place, and a bit went on there, as was the back of the pits at Bay Park or Pukekohe or were ever. Some how we always seemed to be in the same pit area.

Another day of success and there is that ritual again.

Another great days racing, it was about this time that Glen was becoming more ill but he had a few things to finish yet.

Truck racing was a challenge that Glen took on and this was sponsored by EIT and was bought about with his involvement in Offshore Racing dating back and right up to this time with EIT Mover. Glen was good at truck racing also. A pity was that this did not last very long as Glens hard fought battle with cancer was about to come to an end, Glen made every post a winning post in his life and he rose to the challenge every time.
    A small guy with a huge heart and pride in everything he did.

Glens memories live on with all of us who got to know him over the years, and is remembered with a memorial cup, which a young Brett Willis was the first proud reciepient.

The car was sold back to the South Island and these are the last photos the family have of the car. If anyone else has photos of the later years of the car can you please post them on this site or make contact with me, as the family would like to know were it went and what happened to it.
    Thats it from me, but please feel free to share any experiences you may have had with Glen Jones and his band of merry men.
    PS the car was unfortunately totalled in a big accident at levels.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 06-26-2016 at 02:11 AM.

I've really enjoyed this thread Rod. Great work! The '80s Sports Sedan photos are fantastic. There really were a lot of quality NZ built cars around then. I do have a photo of the Commodore during the 1989/90 season when Grant Taylor owned it. I'll scan and post it. I spoke to Clyde Collins about the car a few years ago and he thought it had been written off when Michael Johnston owned it. Can anyone else confirm or deny this?

Correction: Enlightened by Kevin, Glens brother inlaw tonight. Glen and family bought the car off Steve Vigurs. Grant taylor then had it for a while and then it went to Sth Island apparently and the guy had a big accident. (sounds like Michael) as you mention Steve. Love to see later photos or any others of all the cars and Glen and the team.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 06-26-2016 at 02:12 AM.

Will scan and post that Grant Taylor photo Rod. I also have some images of when Clyde Collins was first rebuilding/completing the car for Avon Hyde to drive. Will scan and post those too.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Posted on behalf of Bob Homewood

Levin March 1963