Thread: 1 May 1994: Ayrton Senna

1 May 1994: Ayrton Senna

Its one of those moments where I still remember exactly where I was and what I was doing. I was only 22 when Ayrton Senna died at San Marino in Round 3 of the Formula 1 World Championship, and this was one of the first times in my life I was struck by death.

I was in England at the time, doing my OE. I lived in a big house in Chiswick, in London, sharing with about ten other Kiwis, Aussies, South Africans, and various waifs and strays. My partner Helen and I had a tv in our room, and on 1 May, 1994, on a sunny Sunday afternoon, I sat down excitedly to watch the San Marino Grand Prix.

The big news prior to this race was the struggles of Senna in his new role at Williams. Williams were the dominant force in F1, and with Alain Prost having retired as World Champion, his Williams seat became vacant, and Senna was keen to fill it. Everyone expected the 1994 season to be a cake-walk for Senna. The best driver in the best car. But the opening two races produced no points for him, and two wins for the young German hotshot, Michael Schumacher.

At Round 1 in Brazil, Senna spun while trying to catch Schumacher. He'd been leading the early laps while Schumacher had to overcome Jean Alesi. Both Senna and Schumacher pitted at the same time, with the German emerging in front. Senna gave chase, but spun into retirement, trying too hard.

In Round 2 in Japan, Schumacher beat pole-man Senna off the line, but before he could mount a challenge for the lead, he was eliminated by the wild young Finn Mika Hakkinen. So from two races, Schumacher had taken two wins, while Senna was on zero points.

All the talk leading up to Round 3 at San Marino was about whether Senna could cope with the fast new drivers coming into the sport, and whether he'd met his match in Schumacher. Was he still the same driver he was? Did he still have the hunger?

In early qualifying at San Marino, the popular Austrian driver Roland Ratzenberger was killed when his Simtek crashed at the Villeneuve kink. According to those close to him, Senna was quite shaken by this. When qualifying resumed, Senna took his third pole position from three races.

On Sunday 1 May, JJ Lehto stalled his Benetton at the start, and was hit by Pedro Lamy's Lotus, causing the race to be stopped. Debris from the crash flew into the crowd, with some spectators injured. At the restart, Senna got away well to lead Schumacher. This was supposed to be the race where he asserted himself over the young upstart. At the beginning of lap 7, he lost control of his Williams at the fast Tamburello corner, and hit the concrete wall.

Crashes happened all the time in Formula 1, and at first this didn't appear too severe. But what was unknown initially, was that on impact, the front wheel had struck Senna on the head, and that a piece of suspension had penetrated his helmet. Murray Walker was commentating, and he didn't seem too alarmed at first, and there was no reason to think Senna wouldn't climb out of his car. But as time went on, and there was no movement, even after Sid Watkins had removed him from the car, so the outcome began to look grim. I remember another reporter saying how "grave" the situation appeared. Eventually, the announcement was made that afternoon that Senna had died as a result of his injuries. Had the wheel and broken suspension come back a few inches either side, he likely would have climbed out of the car, probably frustrated at having not scored points for the third race in succession.

For me, that was the first time death had struck me so personally. I didn't know Senna, had never met him, probably never would have. But when you follow a drivers career as closely as I followed Senna's, you really do feel like you know the person. I'll never forget that day.

Here is the Autosport magazine I'd purchased a few days prior to the San Marino Grand Prix, which I've kept ever since. Compared to what ultimately happened that day, losing a couple of races really was insignificant.

Hard to believe its 20 years ago today.

Name:  Autosport.jpg
Views: 2149
Size:  184.5 KB

It was certainly a sad day for F1. I'll admit I wasnt a Senna fan back in the day, and I couldnt tolerate Mansell, but to lose a 3 time World Champion was unbelievable. It was such a massive weekend in F1 - Rubens Baricchello's accident that nearly claimed his life, and then the accident that did end Roland Ratzenberger's.

Ratzenberger's accident weighed heavily on Senna according to his biography, but at the end of the day he was a racer and sitting a GP out just didnt compute.

What would have been, had he decided not to start the San Marino GP that day?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Its one of those moments where I still remember exactly where I was and what I was doing. I was only 22 when Ayrton Senna died at San Marino in Round 3 of the Formula 1 World Championship, and this was one of the first times in my life I was struck by death.

I was in England at the time, doing my OE. I lived in a big house in Chiswick, in London, sharing with about ten other Kiwis, Aussies, South Africans, and various waifs and strays. My partner Helen and I had a tv in our room, and on 1 May, 1994, on a sunny Sunday afternoon, I sat down excitedly to watch the San Marino Grand Prix.

The big news prior to this race was the struggles of Senna in his new role at Williams. Williams were the dominant force in F1, and with Alain Prost having retired as World Champion, his Williams seat became vacant, and Senna was keen to fill it. Everyone expected the 1994 season to be a cake-walk for Senna. The best driver in the best car. But the opening two races produced no points for him, and two wins for the young German hotshot, Michael Schumacher.

At Round 1 in Brazil, Senna spun while trying to catch Schumacher. He'd been leading the early laps while Schumacher had to overcome Jean Alesi. Both Senna and Schumacher pitted at the same time, with the German emerging in front. Senna gave chase, but spun into retirement, trying too hard.

In Round 2 in Japan, Schumacher beat pole-man Senna off the line, but before he could mount a challenge for the lead, he was eliminated by the wild young Finn Mika Hakkinen. So from two races, Schumacher had taken two wins, while Senna was on zero points.

All the talk leading up to Round 3 at San Marino was about whether Senna could cope with the fast new drivers coming into the sport, and whether he'd met his match in Schumacher. Was he still the same driver he was? Did he still have the hunger?

In early qualifying at San Marino, the popular Austrian driver Roland Ratzenberger was killed when his Simtek crashed at the Villeneuve kink. According to those close to him, Senna was quite shaken by this. When qualifying resumed, Senna took his third pole position from three races.

On Sunday 1 May, JJ Lehto stalled his Benetton at the start, and was hit by Pedro Lamy's Lotus, causing the race to be stopped. Debris from the crash flew into the crowd, with some spectators injured. At the restart, Senna got away well to lead Schumacher. This was supposed to be the race where he asserted himself over the young upstart. At the beginning of lap 7, he lost control of his Williams at the fast Tamburello corner, and hit the concrete wall.

Crashes happened all the time in Formula 1, and at first this didn't appear too severe. But what was unknown initially, was that on impact, the front wheel had struck Senna on the head, and that a piece of suspension had penetrated his helmet. Murray Walker was commentating, and he didn't seem too alarmed at first, and there was no reason to think Senna wouldn't climb out of his car. But as time went on, and there was no movement, even after Sid Watkins had removed him from the car, so the outcome began to look grim. I remember another reporter saying how "grave" the situation appeared. Eventually, the announcement was made that afternoon that Senna had died as a result of his injuries. Had the wheel and broken suspension come back a few inches either side, he likely would have climbed out of the car, probably frustrated at having not scored points for the third race in succession.

For me, that was the first time death had struck me so personally. I didn't know Senna, had never met him, probably never would have. But when you follow a drivers career as closely as I followed Senna's, you really do feel like you know the person. I'll never forget that day.

Here is the Autosport magazine I'd purchased a few days prior to the San Marino Grand Prix, which I've kept ever since. Compared to what ultimately happened that day, losing a couple of races really was insignificant.

Hard to believe its 20 years ago today.

Name:  Autosport.jpg
Views: 2149
Size:  184.5 KB
    Hi Steve.... loved yr words , there is plenty of footage re that day & docs. I was reading a little bit from Damon Hill laterly he confirmed what i thought all along [away from media speculation& some others!!!!] Senna was rattled by Michael S...... & his ego was getting a hidding..... Senna went in too hot got light on the bump after lowering the car again for more down force & grip , there is plenty of proof from that bump he tried to slow the car. When I went back to England [which I love] the 3rd time i visited Castle Combe... there was a meeting there for FF 2000 & as soon as I saw this car go around the long right hander flat out I knew there was some one special in it as others were lifting off , down changing etc , Senna might have had more experience though but just was head & sholders above the rest..... I was also taken back on his death I followed his F1 races because he seemed soooo determined & loved his solo attidute of strength.
    Hey Steve you mentioned you lived in Chiswick I lived opposite the chequered sports car car sales for a while in a house with aussies & s/ africans , might be same place ??? so you would know the John Bull Pub..
    Thanks Steve ... Grant

Small world aye Grant! I remember the Chequered Flag, went there once not long after we moved to Chiswick just to check out the bling. It was just down the road from us, probably 5 or 10 minutes walk. Our local was the Barley Mow on Heathfield Terrace which has now closed down. Apparently it gained a bad reputation, but that must have been long after we were there

World Champion
    Ayrton Senna's death was a shock to all of us. Having known Patrick Head, I followed the subsequent investigations and perhaps one positive result was that F1 cars were built to safer standards and thankfully there has not been a weekend like that since and may that continue.

The "Chequered Flag" garage had quite a history of talented drivers drive their cars over the years from Jim Clark to our own Graeme Lawrence who was driving a " Chequered Flag" McLaren M4A F2 at Hockenheim when poor Jim Clark died.

May 1 1994 and April 7 1968 were indeed two dark days for motor racing.

(Ken Hyndman)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-01-2014 at 05:22 AM.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Ayrton Senna's death was a shock to all of us. Having known Patrick Head, I followed the subsequent investigations and perhaps one positive result was that F1 cars were built to safer standards and thankfully there has not been a weekend like that since and may that continue.

The "Chequered Flag" garage had quite a history of talented drivers drive their cars over the years from Jim Clark to our own Graeme Lawrence who was driving a " Chequered Flag" McLaren M4A F2 at Hockenheim when poor Jim Clark died.

May 1 1994 and April 7 1968 were indeed two dark days for motor racing.

(Ken Hyndman)
    Completely agree, though I would add 8 May 1982. Great article on Autosport re:Ratzenberger. The thing for me about his death is reading David Brabhams comments regarding the Simteks telemetry.
    Early in the session Roland was indeed faster than Belmondo. Simtek's data would later indicate that on a subsequent lap he had a minor excursion, and had then given the steering wheel a shake to ensure that all was OK, and to clean the tyres. He then went for another quick lap.

"He didn't lose a lot of time, but it was enough for him to think, 'I'd better check the car,'" says Brabham. "Looking at the data he'd zig-zagged and braked, and in his mind he'd be saying, 'Do I come in and check it?' I can understand why he didn't.

"He couldn't have felt if there was an issue with the front wing, and off he went. And that lap is when he didn't come round."

World Champion
    Is it really 23 years since we got that dreadful news from San Marino. What a terrible weekend for motor racing.
    RIP Aryton, you were one of a kind. Thanks for all the wonderful memories.
    Name:  Teddy and Ayrton Senna.# 1jpg.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  109.0 KB
    A young Ayrton Senna with an early mentor, Teddy Yip, at the Macau Grand Prix in 1983. Ralt-Toyota, F3. One of the first events where his star began to shine.

A collection of Ayrton's career at this site.
    https://www.thrillist.com/cars/ayrto...er-of-all-time.

(Ken Hyndman )

World Champion
    One of Ayrton Senna's first managers was New Zealander, Dick Bennetts, when he drove in Formula 3 in 1983 for the West Surrey Racing Team.
    Name:  Ayrton Senna_0001.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  134.6 KB

I always liked the look of the Formula One JPS Lotus Renault 96T in 1986.
    This is a shot of Ayrton Senna at speed, looking in the mirror for his opposition.
    Name:  Ayrton Senna_0002.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  98.8 KB

(Ken Hyndman )