Thread: Hoping for a bit of help in identifying and locating an old sports sedan

Hoping for a bit of help in identifying and locating an old sports sedan

Hi members,
    Back in the 80s I was a mate and part time pit crew for a bloke named Charlie Milner who resided at Anderson Vic, which is at the turnoff to Phillip Island.
    Back in those days Charlie had just sold his rear engined Hillman Imp, and built a nissan bluebird sedan, powered by a small block chev, mid mounted in an early type of partial space frame, and using a nissan IRS.
    Charlie was regularly called upon to effect overnight repairs to vehicles running at PIARC, as he had the nearest and most "race friendly" workshop close to the Island.
    In about the mid to late eighties Charlie closed up shop and moved to Qld, where he ultimately died in a motor cycle collision. I know he had a son named Simon, who I believe runs a mechanical workshop somewhere in Victoria, most likely on the mornington peninsula.
    I am trying to find out if anyone remembers this car, or knows of it's whereabouts, as now I have retired it may be an ideal project that my son and I can work on, and perhaps restore to it's former glory if it can be found.
    I have checked many, many sites, photo journals and other areas available on the net, without much success, so I look to your members for any help.
    The vehicle was certainly not amongst the top runners of the day, yet when it did go properly, I remember it was generally amongst the middle runners at sandown and other Victorian tracks.

Also on another matter, I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the history of a mazda rx7 sports sedan shell that I have purchased. I think it was built in the late 80s/early 90s, and was initially log booked with a toyota engine, but not sure of the further history. It seems to have a semi space frame, front and rear full f/glass panels along with moulds, it appears to have a mazda LSD rear end and suspension, fuel cell and other associated bits.
    The underneath would indicate that it has done a bit of racing over the years, and it is my intention to go down the LS1 path for some hillclimb and perhaps low level sports sedan fun.
    If I have done things correctly, I should have included a couple of photos of the mazda which may jog memories somewhere.
    Thanks, Wayne Beale

Sorry, can't help with the photos at this stage, first they are too big in physical size, then they have to be less Kbs than I know how to do. I will get my son onto it when. I get home.
    It's a yellow rx7, looks like front and rear suspension are mazda with coil overs, front and rear panels are complete clip on units, bonnet is also glass with a spare carbon fibre bonnet unfinished in the mould, pedal box fitted to larger than normal transmission tunnel, interior completely gutted with re removable steering wheel and gauge panel, rear has removable aluminium square frame holding fuel cell and rear tow points and mounts for both rear panel and wing. Perspex rear window, and passenger door window, drivers door has net with additional Perspex clip on window for those wet days.

World Champion
    Hi Wayne, if you are using Windows, then if you right click on the file, then choose edit, then at the top right is an option to resize. Go in and choose pixels, then you can change the size down to an uploadable size. If you want to keep the old size then save the new sized file to new folder.

Thanks SEAQ, I managed to get three of the four downsized by my daughters partner, the fourth side on shot I will upload tonight. I am using my iPad while I'm away, and that is half the problem with knowing all the tricks on this thing. Windows would make it a far bit easier.
    Wayne

If the photos don't jog anyone's memory, perhaps some hints or other websites or forums I could try would be a great help,
    Thanks Wayne

Bry3500,
    I've. Tried to register for the above website, but
    the login page keeps coming upwith a fault that I can't work out.
    Maybe because I'm trying to do it via an iPad, I just don't know?
    I was able to scroll through recent new members, and there didn't seem to be any for the last two years or so, so maybe they've given up running the forum.
    Any help would be gratefully received, as that forum seems the most applicable way to get my answers, if I only I could become a member.

Wayne

Bry3500,
    I've. Tried to register for the above website, but
    the login page keeps coming upwith a fault that I can't work out.
    Maybe because I'm trying to do it via an iPad, I just don't know?
    I was able to scroll through recent new members, and there didn't seem to be any for the last two years or so, so maybe they've given up running the forum.
    Any help would be gratefully received, as that forum seems the most applicable way to get my answers, if I only I could become a member.

Wayne

World Champion
    There does seem to be a problem with that forum - Try sending the web master an email .. codyrox123@hotmail.com
    Also. there is a group on facebook called Sports Sedans Australia - could be worth trying them https://www.facebook.com/groups/12141653682/?fref=ts

Journeyman Racer
    I remember both the Bluebird and the Mazda RX7, the Mazda was run by John Coughlan, i knew him from my Superkart days..
    Last edited by Bondy; 05-10-2014 at 01:15 PM.

Thanks Bondy, any other info you can give me on the Mazda?
    I'm trying to find out what motor it originally ran, type of diff etc, how it was originally set up, and any idea of how successful it was.
    Is this john coghlan still in the racing scene, what area did he come from, and is the car originally a Victorian or interstate car?
    I know I'm asking a lot, but it would help with the rebuild and eventual setup if I could start with some common ground.
    And Bryan, I've sent an email off to the media manager of that forum, I will try again with an email to the address you suggested.
    Thanks, Wayne

Thanks Bondy, any other info you can give me on the Mazda?
    I'm trying to find out what motor it originally ran, type of diff etc, how it was originally set up, and any idea of how successful it was.
    Is this john coghlan still in the racing scene, what area did he come from, and is the car originally a Victorian or interstate car?
    I know I'm asking a lot, but it would help with the rebuild and eventual setup if I could start with some common ground.
    And Bryan, I've sent an email off to the media manager of that forum, I will try again with an email to the address you suggested.
    Thanks, Wayne

Journeyman Racer
    Hi Wayne,

John was from Ballarat iirc, when he and i raced @ Winton in 1997 (Superkarts supporting Supertruck meet) he was telling me he was building a Mazda RX7 Sports Sedan for the 2 Litre Series. I still know some guys in the Superkart scene so i will ask if anyone knows how to contact him.

In Superkarts he was very handy, from memory in 1997 @ Winton we were doing 1m31s on the long track in 125cc Superkarts and i think the best he did in the Mazda was 1m40s.. It seemed perhaps the car was never fully developed??

Semi-Pro Racer
    I googled "John Coughlan RX7", and got quite a few hits. 2005 VSRC "Under 2 Litre Sports Sedans" champion. Was still racing with 1998cc engine in 2008 Victorian Sports Sedan Championship. Replaced with a BF Falcon GT for 2010.

http://www.driverdb.com/drivers/john-coughlan/

http://<u>http://vmrc.alphalink.com....pions.html</u>
    Last edited by Bryan; 05-12-2014 at 01:47 AM.

Thanks for that info guys, seems like a good lead, now to try and find mr coughlan and speak with him about the mazda?
    Seeing as he has results at the island I'm Hoping he's a Victorian, but then again with the wonders of modern technology, it doesn't really matter anyway, just a phone call away if I can get a number

World Champion
    Did a bit of digging re the Mazda. John Coughlan is still on the racing scene. The Mazda was driven at Sandown before being sold to Shane Brown who never raced it.

World Champion
    I have Shane Browns number. He is happy to speak to you about the car. Check your inbox,I'll message it to you.