Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vale Sir Jack Brabham

Vale Sir Jack Brabham

Sir Jack Brabham has passed away this morning. Condolences to his family. RIP Sir Jack.

Semi-Pro Racer
    SIR Jack Brabham, Australian icon, died suddenly this morning at his home on the Gold Coast aged 88.

He was having breakfast with his wife Margaret when his health, which had been failing for more than a decade, finally gave out.

“It’s a very sad day for all of us. My father passed away peacefully at home at the age of 88 this morning,” son David Brabham said in a statement.

“He lived an incredible life, achieving more than anyone would ever dream of and he will continue to live on through the astounding legacy he leaves behind.”
    "Black Jack" - a hard man on the track but a gentleman off it - thanks for all the memories, Jack.

Journeyman Racer
    Such an icon. Also good friend and fantastic early mentor to Bruce McLaren.

Thanks Jack - what a legend

R I P black Jack A legend in our time Jamie A

Thanks for the legend and the memories. A legacy never to be erased.

NZ Grand Prix 1967, World Champion,

That familiar look. Some are called 'Sir' and some really earn it, and that was 'Sir Jack Brabham', he earn't it.

I can still remember him lifting me into his car when I was with my Grand father in pits looking at cars.

Thanks for the memories and for what you did for world motorsport.

RIP Sir.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

One of the true legends of the sport from our era. As said by someone else never again will it be even possible for a driver to win the F1 World Championship driving a car built by his own company. RIP.

The rite man in the rite place at the rite time in the rite era with the rite ideas, RIP Sir Jack Brabham.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Some nice comments by Dan Gurney on Peter Windsor's site here

http://peterwindsor.com/2014/05/19/s...his-own-words/

he was the start of an era.we were all lucky to see him drive in the tasman series.his name will never be forgotten

Apologies for the use of pics acquired, from the GP Library and Cahier Images respectively.

But just this once...

May be a dumb question, but what significance is "Vale" in the heading? It seems to crop up now and again on Google, but not in the Wikipedia entry. Can someone please enlighten me? It is not something I have ever seen before.

Journeyman Racer
    Vale [pronounced vah-lay] means farewell.

Y'know, like valediction. A latin way of bidding farewell.

Thanks for that. I didn't have the advantage of a classical education, but very surprised I hadn't come across it before, considering how much I read.

I loved Sir Jack's early speedway driving style. Cars with attitude driven by drivers with talent, where you could actually tell they were on the limits of adhesion.
    Last edited by ERC; 05-23-2014 at 04:07 AM.

Journeyman Racer
    I'm with you, ERC...driving "style" is what it was back then.

By the way, I left school in 1956 - aged 15 - and went into a panel-beating apprenticeship....no "classical education" for me. At my age now, that word "Vale" appears more and more frequently, sadly. I also had to ask what it meant.

Jack was a neighbor for a while [late '70s], and David went to school with my 2 boys.

RIP Sir Jack.