Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodwood Revival 2016

Goodwood Revival 2016

I know this seems a long way off for some, but I gather that there are several local competitors likely to be competing in 2016, so I decided that I would make a real effort to attend - and my dear wife is happy enough for me to go! (I have only ever been in the past for the Fridays, with my long suffering wife or my non-motorsport interested youngest brother.)

It is never too early to start planning. It is always a tremendous event and even though the weather is often dodgy, it is still a bucket list item for those who have never been before.

I'm not exactly putting up my hand to be a tour organiser, but it would be great to have some Kiwi supporters there.

I wonder if it would be like another occasion when an NZ resident was asked to attend with his car, but not allowed to drive as the organisers told him who the driver would be?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    I wonder if it would be like another occasion when an NZ resident was asked to attend with his car, but not allowed to drive as the organisers told him who the driver would be?
    Bugger that. I'd be packing the car back up again. Would be an awesome event, but no owner deserves that.

Exactly what he did!
    Especially as some of the "professional" drivers have been writing off and damaging stuff like there is no tomorrow and walk away with no responsibility.
    Last edited by Oldfart; 05-19-2014 at 06:49 PM.

Sadly, that is the only real downside of Goodwood. They take winning far too seriously.

I go to see the huge variety of cars - both on and off the track - and I really don't care whether the cars I like finish 1st or last.

I have already had one other get in touch, keen to go, so who knows, there may be a group of us.

Who was the Kiwi so treated Rhys? (Please send an email - you don't have to make it public.)

Weekend Warrior
    I've got a three day pass for this year, any tips on what to look out for?

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Bentham View Post
    I've got a three day pass for this year, any tips on what to look out for?
    Hi Ray keep me posted, no commitment at this stage but certainly interested.
    Rex, a great event, fabulous cars and races. Try and get into the pits, wear sixties clothes, have a good look around the shops there. Leave your credit card behind. Enjoy the fashions and effort that people go to. Go for a walk around the track, anti-clockwise so the cars are coming towards you. If you can take a short stepladder with you. It gives you something to stand on to see over the crowds. Keep an eye out for the planes. Just a wonderful event, get there early and leave late. Enjoy the atmosphere, the very knowlegable spectators and the cars. Spare a thought for Bruce McLaren.

Totally agree with Beowulf Rex. On site food is very expensive - my younger brother still trembles at the cost of his hourly cuppa and wishes he'd taken his trusty flask!

Friday is a good day as the crowds aren't as large. Access to the paddock is limited to Goodwood MRC members - and there is a waiting list to join! However, you can walk around the paddock perimeter and there are no transporters or trailers around, so you do get a rear end view of most cars, but with a longer lens, plenty of photo opportunities. IF you can wangle a paddock pass, you must wear a collar and tie.

Do the infield before you walk around the track when it should be a bit quieter. Make sure you are well prepared for wet weather... Decent walking shoes are a must.

Within the track environs is a car park for GMRC members with pre 1966 cars, but just outside the gates, across the road, is a massive field reserved for pre 1966 cars. You could easily spend a whole day wandering in there.

Like most UK and continental race meetings, there is usually a fair delay between races. It isn't as continuous as NZ so far fewer races or practices each day. Plenty of on track fillers though. (In 2009, 50 years of Mini and a Stirling Moss tribute.) Take spare camera cards or better still, a video!

Beowulf - I think I'd better start a list of interested parties to see what develops. We may need to bump this thread now and again - or maybe we should also publish the occasional pic from past events to keep the interest high?

List so far then:

1) ERC - Ray
    2) Beowulf - RW
    3) Anon - PM (Not THAT PM...)

As local car owners have already been contacted, does that mean there is a date set? I know it is normally September, but planning well ahead at the moment - as usual. It is a special year for me anyway, 2016.

Had the very real pleasure of attending Goodwood this year on Friday and Saturday. I see Steve has just started a new thread on this year's event and once the jet lag goes I will post a couple of photos there.

However a few quick suggestions for anyone considering going in the future:

1. Just Do it, this is absolutely a must do for anyone interested in historic racing but also a huge event. I am sure there were people "across the road" who didn't even cross over to the circuit proper, indeed probably didn't even have tickets.

2. Dress up, I would guess that more than 2 thirds of the crowd would be in period dress of some kind and half of those have gone to quite some effort including accessories such as period prams (complete with child in period dress, the ultimate accessory). Ours came from op shops in the UK and cost less than 2 glasses of champagne in the infield.

3. Make no mistake, Freddie March, aka Lord March the Duke of Richmond and Gordon has his hands in your pocket all the time. The flip side is that the facilities, range of food and other stuff on offer is incredible, with in typical English style, bars everywhere.

4. You could spend all day Friday in the paddock area (and only qualifying on track anyway) but some of it is restricted. we were in period dress and had a roving grandstand ticket which looked enough like the paddock pass to get through the barrier in the melee, but that was just luck. There was no way on the web site to buy a paddock pass but next time I will do whatever it takes to get in, it was absolutely the highlight for me.

5. I would not bother with the roving grandstand, walk around the circuit, anti clockwise, there is lots of faffing about between races so you have time to scope out a good position when you arrive at a new place and there is a raised embankment all round. My favourite position would be Lavant but all the corners have a big screen and good viewing.

6. Accommodation is hard to find and expensive, this event must be a god send for the region. Best bet would be to stay in Chichester, we stayed in Littlehampton, a 15 minute train ride away but a world away in character with nothing to recommend it. There are shuttle buses (period buses of course) from the Chichester rail station for about 6 quid return, we did not wait more than 10 minutes either way and drop off right at the gate.

7. Although the program and ticket sales for the year is only available mid year the actual program must be set well in advance and can probably be worked out. For example the F Juniors run: Front Engine, Drum brake rear engine, Disc brake rear engine on a yearly rotation. As soon as tickets go on sale you need to jump in, Sunday ground admission in particular sells out quickly and many tickets (and expensive add ons) are reserved for Corporate Smoozing.

Great advice Howard and I totally concur with all of the above. I have managed paddock passes in the past but sorry, I can't disclose how! We have stayed at Hayling Island but yes, accommodation is expensive. Last time (2009) I stayed with my brother in Bournemouth and had an easy run and were at the circuit 10 minutes before the gates opened at 7:30am.

Even a bacon buttie and a cuppa were eye wateringly expensive...

Hopefully, if there are sufficient NZ drivers/cars going, we might just be able to get access to a few 'mechanics' passes, but no idea what the allocation is per driver.

Revival Help

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Great advice Howard and I totally concur with all of the above. I have managed paddock passes in the past but sorry, I can't disclose how! We have stayed at Hayling Island but yes, accommodation is expensive. Last time (2009) I stayed with my brother in Bournemouth and had an easy run and were at the circuit 10 minutes before the gates opened at 7:30am.

Even a bacon buttie and a cuppa were eye wateringly expensive...

Hopefully, if there are sufficient NZ drivers/cars going, we might just be able to get access to a few 'mechanics' passes, but no idea what the allocation is per driver.
    Newbie post here but just had to reply. I went this year for the 1st time in about 10 years having returned from NZ a couple of years back. Some great racing, some (extensive) damage but good fun, especially Whitsun Trophy Cars (early CanAm) which are quick. Felt a bit spare as I wasn't involved although did about the 1st 5 years of Revival Meetings spannering a gentleman racer's E-Type.

If anyone needs help in 2016 let me know.... I'd look forward to a Kiwi Posse at Goodwood.

Mark B.

Bumping the list so far then:

1) ERC - Ray
    2) Beowulf - RW
    3) Anon - PM (Not THAT PM...)
    4) Brucie321 - Mark B

I had the pleasure of attending this year's Festival of Speed. I stayed in a B & B at Worthing and caught the train up each day. Buses were waiting at the station to take us to the circuit for 6 pound return. Train journey was about 8 pound return I think.

World Champion
    That reminds me of Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Ernest, Ernest Worthing, named so because the person who found him had a First Class ticket for Worthing. I had planned to go, but unfortunately, or fortunately I will directing a play so I will be otherwise engaged.

Any progress anyone? Although we are away from mid June to end August and the Revival is 9/11th September, I'm still working on the logistics - and finances of course... Thanks to Mike taking my 1300cc Mini engine away today, at least the finances are a little healthier! (A way to go yet.)

Can anyone confirm any NZ driver's invited/racing?

Into the travel agents today to sort out flights from my internet research on flights, so although I haven't yet paid, a warning that if flying via Singapore to UK, flights are filling already.

Useful info above regarding trains and buses. How early do they start running as I am one of those who likes to be there as soon as the gates open and before it gets horrendously busy. Not sure how late I'll stay as no doubt with the vagaries of the English weather and based on previous visits, you'll either be scorched, frozen or soaked. Dressing in period gear may not be so easy once you get wet.

Event is Sept 9th to 11th and we only arrive back in NZ August 31st from our usual winter trip, so at this stage, may be en route from NZ again September 4th.

Weekend Warrior
    ERC, Your weather forecast is slightly inaccurate , thats is Scorched,Soaked and Frozen all in the same day !!.

Quote Originally Posted by gokiwi View Post
    ERC, Your weather forecast is slightly inaccurate , thats is Scorched,Soaked and Frozen all in the same day !!.
    More likely to be just Soaked, Frozen and Windswept... Scorched would be nice, if only to dry off.

Flights paid for... Thankfully, prices dropped several hundred dollars from the early enquiries.

Seems that the local FJ contingent haven't had any invites after all. Not so far anyway.

My attempt at a paddock access ticket failed this time. Limited to GRRC members - which I knew, but sad that International Visitors have no means of paddock access. I'll just have to try alternative means.